Thread: defaulting to sign in??

Question defaulting to sign in??

Hi David,
    I had member PM this to me. "I am not able to bring up the order form. I click on the link and it keeps defaulting me to sign in..."

Any ideas? He was not a new member.

Thanks.
    Josh

Hmmmm....that's odd. Has anyone else out there had this problem? Does this person sign in every time they visit the forums, or do they have the "remember me" box checked at sign-in?

Default Remember me

I think Brian's right on...I have observed that checking the "remember me" box at log in solves a lot of problems.

It would be good to know if others are having this problem...

David

Default i was "forgotten" the other day...

don't know why, but had to sign in again....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Disc Cleanup

Sometimes right after running a disc cleanup I'll have to sign in again to certain accounts, this being one of 'em. If you allow clean-up to remove your temporary files I believe it will remove the cookie that remembers your login for certain scripts on certain sites....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Just the thread I was looking for!
    I sometimes have to re-sign in to write a message and then again to send it. It isn't every time, but enough to be a bother.
    I have had the box checked and am now running unchecked. It still occurs on occasion.
    I have also had to resign while back paging.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Cookies needed

Sounds like a cookie settings issue. Here's what the FAQ says on the subject:
    The use of cookies on this forum is optional, but may enhance your experience of the site. Cookies are used to enable functions such as showing whether or not a thread or forum you are viewing has new posts since your last visit, or to automatically log you back in when you return to the site after being away for a while. When you register, you will be given the option to 'Automatically login when you return to the site'. This will store your username and password in a cookie, stored on your computer. If you are using a shared computer, such as in a library, school or internet cafe, or if you have reason to not trust any other users that might use this computer, we do not recommend that you enable this. This forum also gives you the option to use a cookie to track your current session, ensuring that you remain logged-on while browsing the site. If you choose not to store this information in a cookie, the session data will be sent through each link you click. Choosing not to use a cookie may cause problems if your computer's connection to the Internet uses a proxy-server and you share links with other users behind the same proxy. If in doubt, we recommend that you select 'yes' to enable the cookie. After you have registered, you may alter your cookie options at any time by changing the settings on this page.
    You may need to experiment with your cookie settings in your browser for best results here.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Just the thread I was looking for!
    I sometimes have to re-sign in to write a message and then again to send it. It isn't every time, but enough to be a bother.
    I have had the box checked and am now running unchecked. It still occurs on occasion.
    I have also had to resign while back paging.

Default Different default

I just wrote a message and when I went to post it didn't direct me to sign in as usual during the default, the message was that I didn't have permission to perform this act and to refresh page, sign in and try again. I scrolled up and it appears that I was still signed in.
    My security level is medium high. I don't see how I can move thru page after page and read my mail and still be defaulted and that can be caused by the cookie setting.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Cookies...

There are so many possible configurations with computers that it's hard to know why a certain behavior is happening. I can do is suggest some ideas. Here are a few:
    1. Clear your cache and see if that makes a difference
    2. Change your security setting to a lower level during a session with this board. Try a test post.
    What are you using? PC/Mac IE/FireFox/other

Sorry it's a pain!

David

I just wrote a message and when I went to post it didn't direct me to sign in as usual during the default, the message was that I didn't have permission to perform this act and to refresh page, sign in and try again. I scrolled up and it appears that I was still signed in.
    My security level is medium high. I don't see how I can move thru page after page and read my mail and still be defaulted and that can be caused by the cookie setting.

I am using IE. I lowered my security setting. Not sure what the cache is though.

Going back to checked box also.
    Thanks!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Cache

You can delete cache items here:

Tools > Internet Options > General Tab > Browsing History / Delete (that's IE7) You could probably just delete temporary internet files and cookies. That will give you a clean slate to experiment with.

If what you have done and the cache clean up resolve the problem, you'll at least know how to fix it in the future. Where to set your security settings is a pretty personal matter.

IE7 has the facility to allow specific websites to always set cookies. You may want to do that for forums.outdoorsdirectory.com That is in Tools > Internet Options > Privacy Tab > Sites

David

I am using IE. I lowered my security setting. Not sure what the cache is though.

Going back to checked box also.
    Thanks!

Great tips, my cache had 3 MB of crap in it, might help speed things up. I also added the site to trusted areas.

Thanks again, haven't defaulted in last 2 visits.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Talking Best one yet!

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...treply&t=13343

...is where it just sent me as I was posting, and then being asked to sign in. It went to a blank page (see link above) and I had to go to my favorites list. Then my page there had changed, sending me to the home page of the O.D.D..

I was box checked, had added this site to the trusted list and reduced my security level. I will review all of this again, maybe I didn't save one step.

Go figure...I knew I should have blown the yard work off and gone and played today! Well, I did go buy a new line hauler, a couple of those strobe lights and some other cool stuff.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Unhappy Wow!

Wow...that IS pretty wierd....and I'm pretty well stumped. Unfortunately there are so many possible configurations of networks, firewalls, browsers, security settings, etc that some of these issues can be serious head-scratchers. This one is a head-scratcher.

If you haven't yet downloaded and installed IE7, you might try that. It works well for me, and has the added advantage of tabs.

Sorry it's such a pain!

David
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...treply&t=13343

...is where it just sent me as I was posting, and then being asked to sign in. It went to a blank page (see link above) and I had to go to my favorites list. Then my page there had changed, sending me to the home page of the O.D.D..

I was box checked, had added this site to the trusted list and reduced my security level. I will review all of this again, maybe I didn't save one step.

Go figure...I knew I should have blown the yard work off and gone and played today! Well, I did go buy a new line hauler, a couple of those strobe lights and some other cool stuff.

Default Just a thought...

bullbuster - If you had 3mb in your cache, chances are you need to keep cleaning! I don't have a clue as to whether or not it will fix your problem here, but a clean machine generally runs faster!

A few things I do almost daily (weekly or monthly would be fine depending on your use of machine) in this order.
    1. delete browsing history
    2. delete cookies
    3. delete files (you will have to sign in to all of your accounts that are set to keep you signed in after you do this)
    ***1-3 are all under Tools>Internet Options
    4. run Ad-Aware full-system scan (you can download here for free)
    5. run Spybot-Search & Destroy (you can download here for free)
    6. run Disc Cleanup *delete all checked or appropriate files (Start Menu>Accessories>All Programs>System Tools>Disc Cleanup)
    7. run Disc Defragment (Start Menu>Accessories>All Programs>System Tools>Disc Defragment)
    8. Restart

I'm sure everybody cleans differently, but this works for me!

Right on, I'll do some more cleanup, which I am not regular at. I do run AVG and Ewido, which has helped.

Thanks for the tips!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it