Thread: Alaska Chapter SCI 37th Annual Hunting Expo & Sportsman's Banquet

Default Alaska Chapter SCI 37th Annual Hunting Expo & Sportsman's Banquet

Hi Guys! We've been hard at work this year getting ready for our 37th annual show. Next Friday and Saturday February 22nd and 23rd we will be at the Dena' ina Center. Tickets are selling out quickly for Saturday night. Friday night tickets are available and we have a great show. We will be giving away more than 100 guns, jewelry, art, gear, furs, as well as some great hunts from all over the world! We have a drop off Brooks Range sheep hunt with Bushwacker Air, 1 Australian, 5 New Zealand, many Namibian and South African Safaris, some great North American big game hunts, as well as bird hunts here in Alaska, the lower 48, and international. You can purchase tickets online from our website. Friday night tickets are $50 and Saturday night tickets are $85. For anyone wishing to purchase a table please call me at 907-947-0983. Thanks!

http://www.aksafariclub.org/#!2013-banquet/c24jt

Brett

I have been going to the show every year and was very active with SCI for some time but sorry to say that I will no longer be going as someone had the idea that it would be good to charge people FIFTY BUCKS to get in on friday for a taco bar. In my personal opinion what a terrible idea. The point of the friday portion of the show is to get people in the door and get them interested in SCI. I always spent quite a bit of money on the friday night auction and raffels. I hope the best for the show but I think that they are turning more people like me away. Just some thoughts from an average joe.

marbs,

It's not a taco bar. It's a sit down dinner this year. Also kids are $20. Sorry for your experience, but we are a fundraiser and the dinner fees help offset the MONSTROUS expenses at the Dena' ina Center, which is the ONLY venue big enough in town. It is also in line with dinner fees at other similar events like DU or Friends of NRA. I do appreciate the feedback though and hope you'll change your mind.

Brett

I'm not making it either. Going from free and paying for a light dinner to $50 for a sit down is too much...

sent from my igloo

Friday night was nice for folks because they could go for free and see some mounts. It was great for families with kids that did not want to have a sit down dinner. There were still plenty of raffles and auction items on Friday. This year I am just going Saturday. I used to take my niece and nephew on Friday, enter a few raffles that carried over to Saturday and leave when their attention span ran out. This year I am hoping I don't miss out on any of the auctions I might be interested in if they are offered Friday night. None of the auction previews specified which nights items were to be auctioned. I would hate to research a hunt I am interested in, show up Saturday and find out it was auctioned off Friday. Just my 2cents

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Friday night was nice for folks because they could go for free and see some mounts. It was great for families with kids that did not want to have a sit down dinner. There were still plenty of raffles and auction items on Friday. This year I am just going Saturday. I used to take my niece and nephew on Friday, enter a few raffles that carried over to Saturday and leave when their attention span ran out. This year I am hoping I don't miss out on any of the auctions I might be interested in if they are offered Friday night. None of the auction previews specified which nights items were to be auctioned. I would hate to research a hunt I am interested in, show up Saturday and find out it was auctioned off Friday. Just my 2cents

Very good points about getting the Auction info out. The auction friday/saturday night line up should be up tomorrow or the next day. Sorry about the wait.

Brett

I will miss this year because I am out of town, but the $50 at the door would be $50 less I spend on raffles. I only budget so much for these events. I also suspect the number of new members this year will be reduced.

Wait and see how it all washes out financially in the end and go from there for next year. Good luck.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I will miss this year because I am out of town, but the $50 at the door would be $50 less I spend on raffles. I only budget so much for these events. I also suspect the number of new members this year will be reduced.

Wait and see how it all washes out financially in the end and go from there for next year. Good luck.
    Thank you Milo!

This is not the rich man's club upping the ante on the little man. This is a fundraising effort to fund conservation, outdoor education, and hunter advocacy.......as well as gun rights advocacy. I realize some may be a bit perturbed with us about the fees for Friday, but our intentions are good. Our goal is to grow Friday, so it will rival Saturday with its 1,000 person attendance and equal fundraising efforts. I think in turn it will become a pretty amazing show both nights for attendees.

Brett

Brett,
    I appreciate your effort as I realize it takes a lot of work & volunteers to put these events together. That said ,just like DU the price keeps increasing presumably to cover costs of the site as you mentioned while trying to grow numbers. At what point does it become to big & along with that you start to price out the ave joe. I quit going to DU for the last two years because of just that, it is not as enjoyable when it is that big. The smaller venues are nicer, even if that means a couple less raffles. I know its tough trying to balance that while the board wants it to grow in revenue & increase in the national spotlight. Again thanks for donating your time for the cause & I hope it works out.

AKMarmot,

As the hunt co-ordinator, chairman for the live auctions, and a board member it's definitely a second job. I appreciate the kind works. Friday night this year is really an experiment. We're trying something different. I'm sure it will be adjusted accordingly based off our results this year.

Brett

PS......you are correct.....venue costs as well as print costs, audio visual costs, ect, ect are rarely static.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Brett,
    I appreciate your effort as I realize it takes a lot of work & volunteers to put these events together. That said ,just like DU the price keeps increasing presumably to cover costs of the site as you mentioned while trying to grow numbers. At what point does it become to big & along with that you start to price out the ave joe. I quit going to DU for the last two years because of just that, it is not as enjoyable when it is that big. The smaller venues are nicer, even if that means a couple less raffles. I know its tough trying to balance that while the board wants it to grow in revenue & increase in the national spotlight. Again thanks for donating your time for the cause & I hope it works out.

You do realize there are plenty of DU events around the state, not just the Spring BBQ, right? There are about 5 more between Anchorage and the Valley each year that are much smaller than the Spring event.

Sorry to hijack, yes, it's tough year after year to keep prices similar because where you want to keep the event similar, you have to add new things to keep people interested. Inflation gets us, it seems, more than anything!

Quote Originally Posted by BrettAKSCI View Post
    AKMarmot,

As the hunt co-ordinator, chairman for the live auctions, and a board member it's definitely a second job. I appreciate the kind works. Friday night this year is really an experiment. We're trying something different. I'm sure it will be adjusted accordingly based off our results this year.

Brett

PS......you are correct.....venue costs as well as print costs, audio visual costs, ect, ect are rarely static.
    I know there was some issues last year with individuals coming in off the street and I understand charging an entry fee to cut down on some of those. Did anyone suggest maybe a $10 or $20 entry with no dinner? Maybe give out a raffle ticket with each entry like a lot of the gun shows?
    I know Denina charges a lot to rent that place, but how much of the $50 is going to them after paying for the dinner?
    Best of luck and I hope you guys have another banner year regardless.

Brett,
    I also appreciate all that AKSCI does for wildlife in AK and around the world. I too am on a budget and normally look forward to bringing my family to the Friday night festivities to buy raffle tickets and have a good time. I will not be able to attend with the ticket price just to get in the door. I know the costs are high to hold an event such as this and every penny raised goes to our wildlife but none the less, I cannot afford to go. I hope they can find a way around this for next year and still raise the funds.

Thanks for all you do.

Brian

Brian,

It's unfortunate that some people will not be able to attend due to the increase, but worse case scenario if it's under attended there'll be a couple hundred REALLY happy people walking away with a ton of guns, gear, and great hunts!!!!

Brett

I have my ticket! Talked the wife and kids into going to Anch so they could swim in a heated pool. There are happy and I am happy!