Thread: Opinions on Fall Black Bear

Default Opinions on Fall Black Bear

I am planning a fall black bear hunt for September and would like some of your opions. I want to hunt them in the high alpine with archery equipment. I have 3 ideas of how to go about it (but am open to other suggestions). 1: Hunt the Kenai Pen. and use the many hiking trails to get up into the alpine and hunt from there. 2: Eklutna Lake bow and arrow only area, I just don't know accesable the high alpine is in the area and wether you need to go all the way to the end of the lake or hunt off of the twin peaks or bold ridge trails. 3: Hire a pilot and fly into an alpine lake where we may run into less people and less pressured bears. Our main goals are areas with good concentrations of bears and ample areas to glass, good opportunities for stalks, and running into as few people as possible would be important (I know this may be difficult with options 1 and 2). I lived in Bristol Bay for three years and have hunted Kodiak, Brooks Range sheep, Bristol Bay and AK Pen. so I have experience and am not afraid to work for them just want a good experience and need some opinions as I have never hunted southcentral AK. Airfare booked September 7-14 if that helps. Thanks

Well as far Eklutna lake area, lots of bears that don't seem to be pressured. Only down side is that is sheep season there, so gonna be people chasing sheep with archery, so bears will be up near sheep country too. Just be mindfull of sheep hunters if ya go there. Most shouldn't be hunting the faces near the lake though. Archery only means you gotta be bow certified to hunt there. Sun thru Wed people can run 4wheelers in there, but not up, just lake trail. Bold ridge trail is where a lot of sheep hunters will go. I had not seen a bear up there anywhere when I sheep hunted. Twin peaks trail should be a good one. When you can PM, hit me up. Not saying anymore about that area right here!!

Thanks for the info, I'm kind of leaning that direction. Don't know when I can PM, but I'll hit you up then.

for what you describe you should look at flying from Homer to Bradley lake. There are some beautiful campgrounds upp her, above alpine, hardly ever anyone there, and lots of bears.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Hey Dave, do you know if there's a trail or route from Bradley to Nuka? That would be an epic trip.....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Hey Dave, do you know if there's a trail or route from Bradley to Nuka? That would be an epic trip.....
    Get a compass and a map and go for it!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Get a compass and a map and go for it!
    I may do that; I read on Andrew Skurka's blog that it's passable, never been up there.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg