Thread: Summer Haul Road?

Default Summer Haul Road?

Any body ever hunt the haul road for caribou in late summer july to september. Im planning on going up there with a budy of mine when we get some time off this summer.

Yes, check out the bow hunting forum. It is a very thread long and lots of us do it.
    BK

are you bow hunitng or rifle hunting? if your rifle hunting I would really try to wait till late august the hikes bad enough without having to deal with the heat and bugs! also july might be hard on meat spoilage... but if you take care of your animals fast and keep them cool you should be fine. I've never hunted up there in July so I can't speak to how many animals are there.

Went up once in July and the bugs were so bad I couldn't even step outed the truck. No caribou, think they were all up by the ocean. To be fair it was unusually warm that summer. I wonder what late may or early June would be like.

Steve

Ive been up there several times late July early August.

Bugs will eat your face off.

VERY few Caribou if any.

2nd week in August is a different story.

If the temp drops below 50 & it starts raining you will start seeing them in the far off foot hills, then within a couple of days they usually start trickling across the haul road.

3rd week on into Sept is a blast .

Usually lots of Caribou for the folks that arent afraid to slop across the tundra.

ALTHOUGH, When the caribou are near the road, the hunters are thick as the bugs, & even walking back in past 5 miles your probably not going to be the only one.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE OVER 5 MILES AWAY FROM THE ROAD IN EVERY DIRRECTION IF YOU ARE GOING TO SHOOT ONE WITH A FIRE ARM.

I know a millitary guy that Thought he was 5 miles out, but while he was skinning his bou out the Fairbanks DA walked up & took a photo of him & showed him HIS GPS, Then advised him to turnhimself in before he did it for him.

Lots of good hunting up there but you MUST pay attention to where you are & what you are doing.

Good luck & we will probably see ya up there. I drive a Black & White, Zebra Stripe Dodge PU, say howdy if ya see us.

RJ Simington

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    are you bow hunitng or rifle hunting? if your rifle hunting I would really try to wait till late august the hikes bad enough without having to deal with the heat and bugs! also july might be hard on meat spoilage... but if you take care of your animals fast and keep them cool you should be fine. I've never hunted up there in July so I can't speak to how many animals are there.
    Definitely bow i dont think I want to trek 5 miles across the tundra especially if the bugs are as bad as they say they are. Im starting to rethink the summer and do a fall hunt. I have a co worker who went up this past November and got one and saw a bunch more. His technique was once he got past at-again pass he just drove until he saw a herd and went past them and ambushed them when they came by. Is this a common and efficient technique for haul road?

Basicly thats what mostly everyone does.

Ya drive till you see a group that are coming the right way or that are feeding in a dirrection that you can get in front of.

Ambush ????

Not much to hide behind anywhere unless you are close to the Sag or some of the rocky patches.

There are Rolly polly hills around Ice cut that you can skirt around & sneak up on something if you see some there.

We got 2 large bulls there last year.

Mostly EVERYbody at one time or anouther heads in above the Kapurik & walks the road & the board walk to get back across the tundra.

Some times they are there Some times not.

September & later the weather can get really MISSERABLE & you have to be prepared for any thing.

This year we had some super bad wind storms, ( cant shoot a bow in 50 plus gusts ) or keep the tent from trying to turn inside out for that matter.

The Sag can also be a pain if you dont prpare ahead of time. It might not be very deep in places but it can Kill you.

I always take my 4 man rubber raft so I can safely get across to caribou on the other side, & if I get one I can get it back across the river braids without drowning.

One good thing is when the wind is blowing the bugs are down in the tundra moss .

oh ya, Take lots of arrows.

I have NEVER found my arrows after the shot. Found alot of other guys but not mine, even with Knocklights. The moss just swallows them up.

RJ Simington

What's this "board walk" you speak of?

the board wark is a walk way built by the scientist so they can monitor & do their tests on their equipment up there.

If ya walk the road , then get on the Board walk you can easily travel about 3 miles without steping a foot in the tundra.

But all it takes is a rifle shot or two & the caribou move towards the road.

I packed my bull out of there 3 years ago walking the board walk. it made it a LOT easier.

The boardwalk starts on the ridge just north of the kuparuk crossing and heads east?

The Raod back to the experiment area starts on the ridge above the Kapuruk. It goes 2.4 milesaway from the haul road, then turns & drops into a gullybetween the small hills.

In the bottom of that gully by a big pond is where the board walk starts.

You cant miss the turn off, just watch for all the pickups parked there.

It was like a parking lot last year.

& there was about 6 tents set up by the road & 4 tents were set up at the 5 mile mark.

We had Bulls walking within 100 yards of our tent by the road so no reason to walk all the way to the ridges.

I am going up about August 8 this year & stay for about a week.

Anouther thing I am doing this year is taking a small freezer & generator to keep the meat & capes, ( & some good food) in.

RJ Simington

Sounds like an excellent place..... To avoid. :-) Ive seen tons of people parked there all the time and now You've answered my question as to why. Thanks. I prefer to hunt them hard horned, sept 12th for me. May even get the airboat up there this year.

sounds like combat fishing with a deadly twist. I think I will avoid that place too.

It looks like I didnt get that elusive Kenai Bou hut or any other drawing today, so it looks like im definitely doing the haul.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyakadayday View Post
    It looks like I didnt get that elusive Kenai Bou hut or any other drawing today, so it looks like im definitely doing the haul.
    I drew one tag but am still looking forward to the haul road trip as well.

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    The Raod back to the experiment area starts on the ridge above the Kapuruk. It goes 2.4 milesaway from the haul road, then turns & drops into a gullybetween the small hills.

In the bottom of that gully by a big pond is where the board walk starts.

You cant miss the turn off, just watch for all the pickups parked there.

It was like a parking lot last year.

& there was about 6 tents set up by the road & 4 tents were set up at the 5 mile mark.

We had Bulls walking within 100 yards of our tent by the road so no reason to walk all the way to the ridges.

I am going up about August 8 this year & stay for about a week.

Anouther thing I am doing this year is taking a small freezer & generator to keep the meat & capes, ( & some good food) in.

RJ Simington
    Are you referring to the road heading south away from the haul road? I remember that exact road and boardwalk and if you go to the far end there's a crappy old travel trailer on blocks?

I went there in sept/2011 and had the whole place entirely to myself... we also never saw any caribou, just wolves... I assumed the other hunters already established that place was a bust.