Thread: Char fly recommendations

Default Char fly recommendations

Hey all,
    I need some great fly recipies for Arctic char. I know that egg sucking leeches are as good as it gets but are there any other flys that produce good results. I was wondereing if any of the Cook marabou patterns would be good?Looking for some sub surface and surface flys that do well.
    Thanks,
    Bushwaker

Bushwaker,
    Have caught them on glo-balls, Skyhomish Sunrise, Polar Shrimp and Mosquito larvae all fish on the bottem or just under the surface. On top I have taken them on Yellow, like the letort hopper and a small yellow muddler fished on top. There is one that I can't remember the name but I tie it with a brass bead. Basically it has a marabou tail, orange chennile body with orange hackle palmered up and finished with a few turns of red hackle for a collar. I will get some ribbin as this is a common char fly but I can't think of what it is called so let the shrapnel fly...

George

Ha! I remembered the name of the fly, "Battle Creek". How you like me now?

George

Default orange egg patterns

The egg sucking leach is a good fly, but I always catch 10 to one using orange egg patterns.

I just tie orange yarn into the wraps of an egg loop knot and trim it on each end to immitate the eggs. My preference is to use flourocarbon leader with a number 4 Gamakatsu octopus hook.

Default flies...

I like polar shrimp, battle creek special, and purple egg sucking leech. However, most of my dolly fishing has been in the fall. The orange flies seem to do well then. Hence, the polar shrimp and battle creek. Beads and glo bugs are the way to go once the salmon spawn. In spring, I would look for smolt and alevin immitations to do well. They are awesome fish and very under rated in my opinion. I took two trips in NW Alaska for them and had a blast. We floated the Kelly and Kugururok Rivers (both lower Noatak tribs about 100 miles north of Kotzebue). Incredible fish. My wife caught one that was 10 lbs. Wonderful gamefish and excellent table fare as well. One of the best books I have found on Alaska fly fishing, "Topwater" by Troy Leatherman, has a great chapter on dollies/arctic char. Also a great chapter in "Alaska Fishing" by Gunnar Petterson. One, if not both, of these books are sold on this forums online store. Amazon has them for sure. Great resources with tons of info on the life cycle, flies, and techniques to use. Also breaks down the different regions of the state and places to go for specific species.

Default thanks to all

Thanks for the replys, I will be fishing the steams north of the brooks range so there wont be any spawning salmon, just char. I will stil use some orange flys, and try out the popsicle along with some other george cook flys

Articulated leaches and anything that imitates a 3/8 oz pixee should work decent. My best guess is that sea run char that are unpressured are probably pretty stupid and should hit standard attractors.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.