Thread: Anyone shed hunting yet???

Default Anyone shed hunting yet???

Was wondering if anyone started shed hunting. Looking for a simple yes or no, no locations or hot spots. Pics are always welcome. Don't know if there is another thread for this, but I didn't see one.

Somebody asked awhile back. I was thinking about it till we started getting dumped on here lately.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yes I have been out shed hunting. Found two nice little ones about two weeks ago on the lower kenai peninsula. I've been out at least every other day since then and haven't found any more but I am seeing one antlered bulls. Got about four inches of snow today so they are not standing out like last week, now I am seeking runs and looking under them.

What I meant to say is I'm seeking out the fresh rubs and looking under them. Lots of thrashed trees out there.

That's awesome love seeing pics before the pickup... to me just as good as the animal itself. The most exciting photos (to me) are those before they are picked up. Wish I had a digital camera back in the day hunting for antlers/horns. Remember finding 13 whitetail antlers in Montana on one walk with my old black lab and we weren't even looking for them.

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIN907 View Post
    That's awesome love seeing pics before the pickup... to me just as good as the animal itself.
    .......not quite as tasty though..... lol

If you've just started looking now you're a little late. Most of them have been picked up already! Good luck though, its always good to get out and stretch the legs!

Wow, I sure did not need my reading glasses for the response from Magpie.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

He's always yelling on here

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Post superbowl Monday, flying home from cabin- which does have satellite tv. See decent numbers of moose in and around unit 14a. Lots of bulls of various sizes that still have their headgear. Like more than typical for this time of year. Saw a number of larger, heavy horned mature bulls with both antlers still.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

My most memorable shed find in alaska was back in '03. It was moose season and my now wife and a friend and i were way out in the boonies hiking and glassing a bit when we spotted a big bull in the trees a few hundred yds away. We immediately hunkered down and came up with a plan and put the stalk on him, was not fifty inches for sure....but there was always the chance for three brow times.... After getting really close and still not seeing any movement we got suspicious as it was very hard to be quiet and surely he should have heard us.... Turned out to be a shed from a mid 40 inch bull stuck in the branches of a tree! It was fun, a good stalk and a life long memory! Easiest " moose" I have ever packed out.

Gotta love it when you find home decor like that!! Went grouse hunting last year found a big shed from a incher lugged it back to the truck about a mile and a half. Called the wife and told her what I found and she says to me "well you didn't look for the other one".

No such luck for me yet this year, hit up a couple hot spots this weekend but came up short! Lots of snow still in my neck of the woods, a buddy of mine did pick up a monster set in November that had just dropped!

Do these count? My best two of this year and the treasure pile from this year so far.
    P1100978.jpgP1100979.jpg

Default Trophy Moose Shed

Here is the best shed for me so far this year...now all I have to do is find the moose who lost it, this coming fall!

Tearbears Trophy Shed.jpg
    "Grin and Bear It"

Boy that's a beauty Tearbear....!!!

Years ago I was moose hunting back in my little hotspot here on the Kenai. I had gotten a little turned around going in and when I headed over to a little higher spot to try and see where I was, I walked right up on two sheds...one laying right on top of the other. Like the bull just shook his head and they both fell off at the same time. Then one time in the same area, I again walked up onto a little knoll overlooking a meadow. At the top was a great big ol' beetle kill spruce that had fallen over. I just happened to glance down under the tree and saw some white. Sure enough it was an old shed from a decent bull and that dang tree had fallen right on top of it bustin' it all to hell. All I saved was the base.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Boy that's a beauty Tearbear....!!!
    Thanks 4merguide, it's a real nice one...about 26" wide and a little over three feet tall, no rodent chews whatsoever. Kinda heavy too, bet that bull was glad to be rid of them. "Happy Hunting!"
    "Grin and Bear It"