Thread: Ideas on good workhorse/sport snow machine?

Default Ideas on good workhorse/sport snow machine?

Time to upgrade models. Need a snow machine that is excellent for towing and deep snow. Would really like it to be 4 stroke (reason being is because I would this to be the last one I buy) and must be stable when handling. If anyone has any input whether positive or negative it would be great help.

I have the Ski Doo Expedition sport with the 600ACE motor.
    I think it would work well for what you want to do. Track is 16x154x1.5".
    Last weekend I got 21.5 mpg riding by myself with no load. 4.76 gallons and 103 miles ridden. It is a very torquey motor and quiet.
    My 550f my wife ws riding got 9.9 mpg for the same size track.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Does the Expedition have a pull start? The model I have now does not. I would at least like to have that option for cold weather rides as the the battery isn't always cold weather friendly even for a 2012 model.

I think with a 4 stroke the pull start might be iffy..... I don't know that I would want to be trying to pull a 4 stroke over @ -40 anyway. I might suggest a small 1k generator and battery blanket. I bought a 2013 ski doo expedition 2 stroke 600 E-tech and it does have a way to pull it in an emergency though it is very inconvienant. you have to remove the cowling belt cover and pull the wheel with a detachable string. I dont know how well it works yet in -40. worked good on the showroom floor

My recommendation depends on how big a guy you are and how fussy you are about power for playing. I am a big guy weighing in at 265. I bought a 2012 expedition xu with the 600 etec motor. This is a two stroke. Gets good fuel economy, great power, and will tow very big loads. Tracks 20 inches wide. The expo sport drops you back to 16 inch wide track and has noticeably less oomph with the 600 ace four stroke than the 600 etec. My buddy has one of these and it has shown its ability to pull heavy loads, nice and quiet, and good fuel economy. In my mind it all comes down to how much you weigh, how often you tow big loads, and how often you ride in deep stuff and need max floatation. One thing I can definitely tell you is don't buy a sled with the 600 ace if the track is wider or longer than what comes on the expedition sport--the little four stroke just doesn't have the necessary oomph to drive that much track.

Expedition sport 600 etec

It may depend on how much effort you want to make to get it started at -48. What area are you riding and at what temps? How much low snow are you riding in? MPG is great if you have heated storage or don't mind running a generator to get fired up.

I fired both 550F Tundras up a couple weeks ago at -48 at 9 AM. It took until after 1 PM for the 800 Summit and 600 Polaris to even move. 2 Other 550 Polaris.... rentals..... had way too many problems.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Chalk up another one to an expedition sport. 515 pounds with a fair amount of track under it. I agonized all winter long about what to get as my other machines are approaching antique status....and then finally pulled the trigger on wednesday. My wife is out of town, won't she be surprised when she gets home ! ahahaha

Its going to be mainly a station wagon for accessing remote cabins. I think it will work well for this old guy. I went back and forth in my head should I get the ACE or the 550f and I ended up with the 2 stroke because of my special needs.

Took it out for its first run today up in the Caribou Hills.

Take a look at the yamaha MCX. Cannot get a more reliable motor/machine. For what you want to do it sounds like a potentially good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    Chalk up another one to an expedition sport. 515 pounds with a fair amount of track under it. I agonized all winter long about what to get as my other machines are approaching antique status....and then finally pulled the trigger on wednesday. My wife is out of town, won't she be surprised when she gets home ! ahahaha

Its going to be mainly a station wagon for accessing remote cabins. I think it will work well for this old guy. I went back and forth in my head should I get the ACE or the 550f and I ended up with the 2 stroke because of my special needs.

Took it out for its first run today up in the Caribou Hills.

I have the 2011 Exp Sport and I absolutley love mine. If I buy another it will likely be the same thing.
    I am sure you will be happy with that machine for what you want to do.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Been pretty happy with my 2012 Bearcat XT 570. It's no featherweight at 700 lbs or so, but stable, comfortable to ride, and a real sled puller. Haven't taken the time to compute fuel consumption, but with a 17 gal tank ..... it'll go far. My main use is hauling sleds of firewood ... and it does great for that. I like that it has pull start .... if needed. Pretty sure my old '95 Bearcat 440 was easier on fuel ... I like the extra power of the 570.