Thread: Gakona River Info ?

Default Gakona River Info ?

I asked this question on the power boating forum and got zero replies.

Does anyone know if jet-boats go up the Gakona River from the Tok cutoff road? If so, about how far upstream do they typically go? I'm seeking any information I can get on the river conditions, amount of other boats, etc. If you'd rather send me a PM that would be fine. Thanks in advance.

Well, that is my back yard so lets give her a shot.

The Gakona River is ruinable via Jet boat and it is done from time to time. The river is Glacial fed so it has good volume all summer with the highest water being in the early summer due to run off. It is wide enough to jet without the fear of sweepers crossing the entire river.

What is the reason you want to head up the Gakona? Fishing is all most nil but the hunting is like the rest of the region.

Walt

Gulkana River Raft Rentals

Walt - I sent you a PM.

I've read that jet boats run up the Galkana to the confluence with the West Fork all the time. But, are prohibited by law, to run further upstream on the main Gulkana. I'd like to know if it's both possible, and legal, to run a jet boat further up the West Fork?

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    I've read that jet boats run up the Galkana to the confluence with the West Fork all the time. But, are prohibited by law, to run further upstream on the main Gulkana. I'd like to know if it's both possible, and legal, to run a jet boat further up the West Fork?

Thanx, Dave.
    He's talking about the gakona not gulkana. But the west fork gulkana is runnable sometimes. Watch for rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Well, that is my back yard so lets give her a shot.

The Gakona River is ruinable via Jet boat and it is done from time to time. The river is Glacial fed so it has good volume all summer with the highest water being in the early summer due to run off. It is wide enough to jet without the fear of sweepers crossing the entire river.

What is the reason you want to head up the Gakona? Fishing is all most nil but the hunting is like the rest of the region.

Walt

Gulkana River Raft Rentals

Walt,

We are looking at canoeing the Gakona from near the glacier down to the road. I haven't found any trip reports of this stretch of water. I wonder if you can offer any insights as to what we can expect by way of whitewater?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is super cool! Weav is my new hero! Really I like!

Thank you for posting the river info!!! (I know I am about 2 years late haha) I am looking to do a float hunt for RC566 and was looking for info on the gakona. My question is what is the game like on the river? Is it worth giving her a shot for moose/caribou. I am looking to try to get my son on some game before he ships off to the military. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

That is some old river info! The Summit Lake Lodge burned down 20 something years ago! Old Man Lanni is still alive but spends his Summers well off the beaten path.