Thread: Supplemental Cabin Heat?

Default Supplemental Cabin Heat?

Any suggestions for supplemental cabin heat in the winter until the wood stove gets going good? Do the "indoor rated" kerosene heaters like they sell at AIH work well for this? Thanks for any help.

Kerosene sucks, get one of these:
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by akpackfan View Post
    Any suggestions for supplemental cabin heat in the winter until the wood stove gets going good? Do the "indoor rated" kerosene heaters like they sell at AIH work well for this? Thanks for any help.
    I used one of those things about 30 years ago to occasionally heat an otherwise unheated studio workspace attached to the house. It worked fine, but CO is always an issue, regardless of it being "indoor rated". However, with dry wood and a properly built fire my woodstove "gets going good" in less than 5 minutes and is putting out way more heat than any of those "instant heaters" will...

Mu current cabin has both a monitor heater and a woodstove. I can walk into a dead cold cabin and push the 'on' button on the monitor, then build and light a fire in the stove, and have a ripping fire putting out lots of BTU's before the Monitor completes it's ignition cycle. So, from that perspective, I think time spent messing around getting some other sort of heater going is a waste of time and energy. A well constructed fire in a good stove is the closest thing to instant heat you're going to find.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    A well constructed fire in a good stove is the closest thing to instant heat you're going to find.
    +1 to that. I never used supplemental heat in the years I lived off the grid; I could get my big Earth Stove to go from 0-60 in no time flat. It really does depend on the type and size of stove, though, and the size of the cabin and how well insulated it is. We lived in a camper over one winter, one of those tank-top propane heaters was muy appreciated. Wouldn't quite melt the ice on the insides of the windowpanes, but it sure made gettin' dressed less of an ordeal!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

nothing like a stack of dura flame logs and good dry spruce or birch. Have walked inside my cabin at -20 and had it to 70 in 30 mins. Also have two inline nat gas heaters in each corner. if I hit those and then get the wood stove going takes about 15mins
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Do you have a kitchen with an oven? Turn the oven on full blast and open the door. It also gives the wife and kids a warm place to hover over where they won't be in your way. The oven works wonders in my place.

A friend used to add supplemental heat using a propane unit heater (torpedo looking kind) from AIH. That thing put out some serious heat. Way better than a radiant heater with his layout.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    i used one of those things about 30 years ago to occasionally heat an otherwise unheated studio workspace attached to the house. It worked fine, but co is always an issue, regardless of it being "indoor rated". However, with dry wood and a properly built fire my woodstove "gets going good" in less than 5 minutes and is putting out way more heat than any of those "instant heaters" will...

Mu current cabin has both a monitor heater and a woodstove. I can walk into a dead cold cabin and push the 'on' button on the monitor, then build and light a fire in the stove, and have a ripping fire putting out lots of btu's before the monitor completes it's ignition cycle. So, from that perspective, i think time spent messing around getting some other sort of heater going is a waste of time and energy. A well constructed fire in a good stove is the closest thing to instant heat you're going to find.
    exactly !!!

Heating a cabin requires overcoming a significant mass that's cold soaked. BTUs are only part of the equation. Time is every bit as important. The cabin will always be more comfortable and easier to maintain a steady temperature on the second night. Managaing how to heat and not overheat on the first night is always the priority. The air is hot but the walls are cold. Every cabin is different.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Kerosene sucks, get one of these:
    This is exactly how we do it at our place. Walk in, light the double burner propane off at max output (30,000 BTU's). Next light off the Blaze King woodstove. In one hour it's comfortable and two hours the place is toasty and the propane is shut down.
    This set-up is economical both to purchase and run. No spilling kerosene or hauling it either. Usually 1 propane tank a year is all we burn, just like the pic above. No maintenance and cheap to purchase. In the long run it just made sense for us.

BK

Thanks guys. I really need to bite the bullet and get a Blaze King Princess model stove with the Catalyst in it. I have a very small old cast iron stove that came with the cabin and it is very inadequate in the winter. I've looked at the Princess models at AK Fireplace and was impressed. Talked to the owner a while and he talked them up pretty good. The cabin is 16 x 20 with a half loft. I want it to be a comfortable place in the winter that the wife is willing to go to so I need to be able to heat it up adequately.

FYI, there might still be a tax credit on that stove. Dan is a great guy at Ak fireplace. We have the princess in our cabin and its about 1000 sq. ft. Prior to the cabin it was used to heat our home until we replaced it with a King model last year.
    They are excellent stoves.
    BK

it will get very warm no doubt. you will enjoy it. mine is 1500sqft with half loft. we have to keep windows open at night to offset temp upstairs. after a day you only need one or two logs in
    it to keep it comfortable after the logs heat up. Insulation is key as already mentioned for maintaining.

Thanks guys. I really need to bite the bullet and get a Blaze King Princess model stove with the Catalyst in it. I have a very small old cast iron stove that came with the cabin and it is very inadequate in the winter. I've looked at the Princess models at AK Fireplace and was impressed. Talked to the owner a while and he talked them up pretty good. The cabin is 16 x 20 with a half loft. I want it to be a comfortable place in the winter that the wife is willing to go to so I need to be able to heat it up adequately.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Akpackfan: We have a 16x20, and I am a female who is ALWAYS cold. Depending on your location (we are on the Kenai) the princess would be overkill. We have the scirocco (a smaller blaze king stove, cat) and it blasts us out of there. Just FYI. (I LOVE BEING WARM)

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    FYI, there might still be a tax credit on that stove. Dan is a great guy at Ak fireplace. We have the princess in our cabin and its about 1000 sq. ft. Prior to the cabin it was used to heat our home until we replaced it with a King model last year.
    They are excellent stoves.
    BK

I agree the princess is agreat choice but I don't agree that Dan is a great guy. Blazeking hands down best stove easy to controll heat and very effeicent. Now my dont agree part. I had an issue with some parts I got from him and he was not at all helpful. I also was looking at getting a used blaze king and he told me to that I would spent $500 on a new catalist because it was more than 4 years old. So a few days later when I forked up the large $$$ for a new one I asked about getting a replacement catalist and he told me as long as my wood was good and I burned a hot fire every now and the I don't need to replace it.

Have a 16x24, and the blaze king princess has been the only heat for 7 years.

When mildly cold, i build a small fire, when really cold, I build a big fire. Learning the stove is paramount, and how it affects your cabin is what it is. The stove is not a linear thing, it's a beast you must learn individually.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It depends on your initial temperature and the ambient temperature.

If it is -50 inside and out, the best that I have encountered is a dual stove on a 2 story cabin. Large stove on the bottom and small stove on the top. 16X24 2 story. Lots of windows. When it is warmer, only use the lower stove. 2 of those heater fans help a bit.

It all depends on the temps. Use spruce or birch? You have to learn your BTUs.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by fishunt View Post
    I agree the princess is agreat choice but I don't agree that Dan is a great guy. Blazeking hands down best stove easy to controll heat and very effeicent. Now my dont agree part. I had an issue with some parts I got from him and he was not at all helpful. I also was looking at getting a used blaze king and he told me to that I would spent $500 on a new catalist because it was more than 4 years old. So a few days later when I forked up the large $$$ for a new one I asked about getting a replacement catalist and he told me as long as my wood was good and I burned a hot fire every now and the I don't need to replace it.

Bummer you had a different experience in dealing with Dan. He's always treated us fairly and been helpful.
    BK

Another portable option is a Big Buddy heater. They use two of the small coleman type propane canisters, and have a safety shut - down when carbon monoxide approaches unsafe levels, so they are safe to use indoors without ventilation. I have used mine to heat my house when the power goes out - it's pretty efficient. Even when it's 20 below outside, it keeps the living/dining room area comfortably warm.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.