Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palmer.....GUN SHOW.....Report

Default Palmer.....GUN SHOW.....Report

All I got for being there at 7:45 AM and staying till 2:35 PM is tired feet and a piece of tail. I would guess there were about 40 AR-15's there starting at $ 1,099.00 for your basic AR-15. Plus about 8 maybe 11 "NON-Tabled" people brought AR-15's and walked around with them for sale. Most name manufacturers AR's were priced at $1,899'ish.

30 round magazines.....there were cases of them available for $20.00 to $50.00 for new and/or well used AR-15 (30 round) Magazines. Now about the piece of tail........It is a vewry nice Red Fox tail that I will use with my new e-caller as a decoy thingie.

The sad truth is there was NOT much buying going on. However people were lined up maybe 200 plus in horrific cold winds, waiting to get in. Speaking as someone who has done the Alaska Gun Shows.......clear back when we had them at the Armory on Lake Hood......I would say it was a fair show........however.......Security SUPER SUCKED.

.223/5.56 Ammo was abundant and priced from $00.50 cents to $1.00 per round, and you could leave with 30,000 rounds if it pleased you.

Empty Ammo Cans were the super big seller.

I finally got a the Winchester model 94 Trapper in .44 mag that I have been looking for, for a few years now! Can't wait to shoot it tomorrow. I guess now it's time to start looking for a model 92, just got to come up with a caliber to look at. I'm thinking I would like to find one like the one that John Wayne carried.

Also found a nice Galco IWB holster for my Walther PPK.

I saw a few good deals around. I guy had a good deal on a winchester 88. There was a Colt government in .380 ACP for $375. A guy grabbed it before I could. I'm going back tomorrow to try to find an old beater Remington 870 for the bottom of the boat, as a back up gun for duck hunting.

I keep finding good guns at the MVS show, it was definitely worth going this morning!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Yew mus be TOO AR oriented, AGL.

I sold 4 guns. I also had a great time.

People were happy and friendly to me.

Also, I had good conversations with one of the security guys. He was dion a good job from what I seen. People were complainin when they had to go in the front door (where they pay for admission) And, one guy tried to sneak in at three different doors.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I couldn't make it today. Do you think there would be enough stuff left tomorrow afternoon to warrant going, or no??

I'm looking got AR parts, maybe a complete upper, ammo, and lots of reloading stuff.

Can't hurt to check it out, either way it beats sitting on the couch watching tv

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

Smitty of the North
    Not really I own 11 AR-15's........I just assumed that was what might be of interest to forum members.

There were about 5 or 6 Win. M-88's in .308 Win. at the show, most fairly priced.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    I couldn't make it today. Do you think there would be enough stuff left tomorrow afternoon to warrant going, or no??

I'm looking got AR parts, maybe a complete upper, ammo, and lots of reloading stuff.
    There were AR-15 uppers, a very few primers, maybe 25 to 30 sets of dies. Some MONSTER reloading Press's.

Oh, the octagon barrel Wichester model 86 in 45/70 was something I was really wanting. Wish I had the money to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Oh, the octagon barrel Wichester model 86 in 45/70 was something I was really wanting. Wish I had the money to get it.
    I was Hoping for a Low-Wall that I could whip intp a 6.8 SPC or a minnie Mauser.......but, No Joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

I sold 4 guns. I also had a great time.

People were happy and friendly to me.

Also, I had good conversations with one of the security guys. He was dion a good job from what I seen. People were complainin when they had to go in the front door (where they pay for admission) And, one guy tried to sneak in at three different doors.

Smitty of the North
    I agree with you Smitty, it was a very friendly atmosphere and a fun gun show. There had to have been a couple thousand people attend and I can only recall one negative person the entire day...and he was a guy trying to sell his personal guns and not a vendor. Food was available and good. The original line was long (like all guns shows) for about an hour, but that's to be expected because everyone wants to be the first people through the doors. I helped a lot of people today as Security and I would have to say I was respectful, and honored to have met some fine people with interests like myself. Was the show perfect? no Could it be better? Always Will it be better next year? Yes.

I can think of two things already: There needs to be a kissing booth for sure. For those that have nothing good to say: a dunking booth.

See you all out there in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanhidalgo View Post
    I agree with you Smitty, it was a very friendly atmosphere and a fun gun show. There had to have been a couple thousand people attend and I can only recall one negative person the entire day...and he was a guy trying to sell his personal guns and not a vendor. Food was available and good. The original line was long (like all guns shows) for about an hour, but that's to be expected because everyone wants to be the first people through the doors. I helped a lot of people today as Security and I would have to say I was respectful, and honored to have met some fine people with interests like myself. Was the show perfect? no Could it be better? Always Will it be better next year? Yes.

I can think of two things already: There needs to be a kissing booth for sure. For those that have nothing good to say: a dunking booth.

See you all out there in the morning.

Maybe you miss understood My saying Security Sucked.........I am saying that maybe 50 people just walked in before the show started.......I would say that 30% maybe 40% of the people walking around at 9:30 had NO Badge......I call that security sucks.......People should have been confrounted and if they had no badge.......thrown out.

If you want to get in FREE and maybe steal some stuff, just get there at 9:AM'ish and bring an empty box, come in the kitchen door, fill your box with stuff and walk out. The box will make it appear that you are a vendor bringing fresh stuff on Sunday to sell.

Security always Super Sucks at the Palmer Lions Club Gun Show........The AGCA shows have the best security, but there are still 6 or 8 doors you can just walk in for free between 7:AM and 9:55:AM.......You get the best deals before the shows open to the public.......

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Maybe you miss understood My saying Security Sucked.........I am saying that maybe 50 people just walked in before the show started.......I would say that 30% maybe 40% of the people walking around at 9:30 had NO Badge......I call that security sucks.......People should have been confrounted and if they had no badge.......thrown out.

If you want to get in FREE and maybe steal some stuff, just get there at 9:AM'ish and bring an empty box, come in the kitchen door, fill your box with stuff and walk out. The box will make it appear that you are a vendor bringing fresh stuff on Sunday to sell.

Security always Super Sucks at the Palmer Lions Club Gun Show........The AGCA shows have the best security, but there are still 6 or 8 doors you can just walk in for free between 7:AM and 9:55:AM.......You get the best deals before the shows open to the public.......
    Thank you for the clarification. I seen a few people without badges prior to the doors opening too, but it seemed like most of them were vendors, their helpers, or guilty non-paid staff like myself heading to the staging area to get a badge. It sounds good that the AGCA does great security, maybe your affiliated with them and could suggest someone who could offer positive input for improvements? I never heard of complaints from vendors about stolen items prior to the doors opening either but would welcome any information so it can be addressed.

I stopped in after skiing at Hatcher. Bought a box of my favorite 375h&h ammo at a reasonable price. My buddy bought a shotgun and I don't think I heard anybody talking politics which made me happy.

I think Valley Armory started the day with more ARs available for sale than all the gunstores in the state combined. The complete ARs he had on the table were about $1200 (more were behind the table in racks), so $1,100 and up sounds right. They still had about 20 rifles when I left at 4PM, plus about 8 uppers (~$550).

I didn't see any $20 mags that weren't beat or very finish worn, but quite a few new (or nearly new looking) at $30. Lots of overpriced .223/5.56. The NRA has a table selling raffle tickets and memberships. They can't advertise the $300 life memberships that Tom Gresham has been pushing, but they can sell them if you ask about them. (Please ask about them.)

No luck in my continuing search for a better than factory M700 BDL short action stock. Bought an ammo can and a calendar. Saw some friends. Had a great time. Much better experience than this years Wasilla High School show (but I'll still go there, because it's a gun show in a school!).

The darn show needs to hurry up and reopen! Now that I'm not sitting at a table I can get a better look around!

I thought you were in Sunrise/Hope.

LocationDOWNTOWN MOOSE PASS, ALASKA

Went back today and made out like a bandit! Bought a pound of Varget, now I can keep reloading for my .243. Found a brick of 22lr and a few boxes of .22 Mag. Then found a Ruger Single Six convertible that I bought, now I have to find the missing .22LR Cylinder. And the prize of the day....My new Alaska Life decal that I am proudly displaying on my back window of the truck!

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    I thought you were in Sunrise/Hope.

LocationDOWNTOWN MOOSE PASS, ALASKA

I have to keep DHS on their toes........

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have to keep DHS on their toes........
    I figured it was for OPSEC purposes

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I figured it was for OPSEC purposes
    Same...Same

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast