Thread: new guy

Default new guy

moving to ketchikan in july, (active duty military). With my wife and 2 small children. I have been fishing and huting in upstate new york since i could walk. I have been stationed in the north east areas for 7 years, so (stiped bass, bluefish, flounder) for salt water. and for fresh water mostly bass and pike. I know nothing about salmon or trout fishing so im hoping ill learn everything i need to know here. I was affected severly by hurricane sandy, as my house and 3/4 of all my families belongings were lost. along with a 20' center console, so im starting all over again. I have some medium to heavy salt water gear and some light fresh water stuff but i dont even know when and were to start. I noticed connel lake and ward lake are withing driving distance to ketchikan, and the shorline access looks decent. I dont even know what species of fish you have up that way. absoulutly any tips would be much appreciated

Are you a Coastie? I am, and I'm headed back for my second tour in Kodiak this summer. I'm an airdale type on 65's.

First of all, sorry about Sandy. I can't imagine. Sorry bro, but glad you guys made it out safely.

I don't know much at all about Ketchikan, but I can maybe help get you pointed in the right direction on some "new guy in AK stuff" as I went through it many years ago. First of all...it's gonna rain! LOL. If you're gonna scrimp, don't scrimp on foul weather gear. Make your plans and then go do them...don't plan around the weather or you'll never do anything. Get everyone good boots...Xtra Tuffs are the norm and it's ok to wear them anywhere. But I rock out in my LaCrosse knee high rubber boots and I never got shunned for them...but I probably have the only pairs on the island. Next is rain gear. Not saying you gotta break the bank, but get the best you can as it will let you do more of the things you want to do and be comfortable.

Fishing...that can be as indepth or as simple as you'd like it to be. Since you're an experienced guy, you'll be ahead of a lot of people. Not knowing specifics, the gear you describe should be fine. Salmon will work cheap gear, so your gear will handle them and would even be overkill in a lot of applications. Tie on a Pixee and cast it through some salmon. I suggest swapping out the treble hook for a single J to reduce snagging. That'll get you started and from there you can refine your technique. I'm strictly fly fishing, so if you want specifics on fly patterns, sink rate, rods and such, I can do that. Otherwise, find the fish, get some in-hand and you'll easily be able to take it from there and do your own thing to either avoid the crowds, or go limit out in half hour at the nearest hole with everyone else. I guarantee there'll be someone at your unit who can take you and show you the ropes. It's not a technical fishery, but there are ins and outs and you can get "really" into it...by the time I left I looking for ways to make it more challenging and get further away from the mainstream.

Trout, biggest thing I can say with trout, is that they may actually be dollies (dolly varden). At least they are in Kodiak. And that's fine. Dollies are fun, always around in some number and can save the day if salmon aren't working. And along with that, it ain't River Runs Through it. I got up there looking for hatch charts and expecting to hit the eveing hatch and just slay 'em...nah. Trout and dollies up there will eat bugs, but their lives revolve around the life cycle of the salmon. They're either eating eggs, smolt or flesh.

As far as saltwater, there's more of a learning curve to that, and that's just finding the fish. But there's jigging, trolling and even casting. Like I said, I don't know the Ketchikan area, so I'll not get too far into that, but again, there'll be someone there who can get you started in those waters.

For boats, there's plenty of boats up there to go around. In fact I did my whole first tour up there boatless and just did "anchor b****" and helped with gas for my friends and I always had an invite. I had to fish where and when they wanted to, but there's plenty of boats. If you want to buy a boat, you'll get a lot of guys tell you that you need a 35' ocean cruiser with twin diesels on it, berthing and 3" aluminum hull, towing a 22'er just in case. That's silly...and a bit of an exaggeration. But when I mentioned I was bringing up my 20' bay boat and that I planned to actually put it in the water...well I was told "good luck with that." Listen, if you're planning on casting inshore, making realistic runs to open water structure and most importantly, know how to run a boat in big water, then a 20'er is fine. Drawbacks being that it is too small for extended, multi-day trips, hunting trips, beaching, carrying cargo...which admittedly is limiting. But I don't troll or jig and I only cast, so it works for me. It's also a boat I can eacily trailer (meaning PCS transfer) and use at any unit I go to. And for me, I prefer that over buying a larger boat that I can't even maneuver like I'd like to for casting and then selling when I leave. So decide on how you'll be using it and how long you want it and go from there.

thanks you (Sir) for the info as that should more than help me in the right direction. I just recieved orders to one of the black hulls out of ketch so in a 3 year billet i hope i should have it figured out by then.

Whoa...not a sir! LOL AMT1. I'll send you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiakfly View Post
    Whoa...not a sir! LOL AMT1. I'll send you a PM.
    you left out the part where you work for a living! LOL

LOL, and my parents were married? I'm not an "O" hater...I was gonna be one once...until an O sat me down and explained to me that the commissioned life was more than higher pay and parking spots and that I should look ahead and ask myself if I'd be a better chief or a better LCDR in 17 years. Needless to say, the choice was easy and called the CGA and withdrew my appointment. I'd be a horrible officer and I'm so glad I went to "A" school than to the CGA.