Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At ANC boat show. Only big boats are Kingfishers.

Default At ANC boat show. Only big boats are Kingfishers.

No Wooldridge, etc this year. Guess some dealers decided to not be here this year. Not a waste of $8 for me, but almost.

Plus a Boulton and a Trophy. Rest are smaller boats.

There was a boulton and a fiberglass boat at the storm chasers area as well. My wife and I both thought it was kind of short on big boats this year as well. I did enjoy looking at the Anchorage Fire Departments big boat... with the twin 300 Verado's on the back.

I don't think Marita showed up at this boat show and I know Deweys has there own show at the Northway mall.

Other than the killer deal on a new tender it was more of a small boat show in more ways than one.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I was there yesterday, it was a waste of my time and money. Not that I had any intentions of making a purchase, I have a boat I am happy with, but that never prevents me from admiring other boats. I had the impression the current boat show is about 50% of what it was last time I visited. Not even ADFG was present. No Marita, no Dewey's, no Potbuilder, no BJ's...

Stopped by Northway Mall on my way home, no boats there either.

I like the 30 foot Kingfisher. Too spendy for me. Are they trying to fool anyone when the sticker shows financing for 240 months? Hopefully people quickly realize that that's 20 frickin years. Do you really want to be paying megabucks per month for an almost 20-year-old boat? Also, I think they are taking up lots of floor space this year with "artwork" to keep from having empty space from all of the dealers who no longer show up. Plus added trucks and RVs.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    no BJ's...
    Man, I have been missing out. Never seen BJs at the boat show!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I like the 30 foot Kingfisher. Too spendy for me. Are they trying to fool anyone when the sticker shows financing for 240 months? Hopefully people quickly realize that that's 20 frickin years. Do you really want to be paying megabucks per month for an almost 20-year-old boat? Also, I think they are taking up lots of floor space this year with "artwork" to keep from having empty space from all of the dealers who no longer show up. Plus added trucks and RVs.

How much are the 30 footers going for these days?

$180,000. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    $180,000. Yikes.
    Yikes is right.

Makes perfect sense. How many of us actually know of a couple of people who bought boats at the show in years past? I don't know of anyone who bought a boat at this show in many years. Within 2 years the show will not even exist.

OK, I’ve been going to the Anchorage boat show since the beginning show 30 years ago and while the early ones had some decent sized boats, it’s been going downhill since. While thinking about it, I’ve come up with a quiz for old timers who have boated here for a while:

1. Who was the Tolleycraft dealer in Anchorage in the early 80’s?
    2. Who took over the Tolleycraft dealership later and originally occupied the Dewey’s facility on King St?
    3. How many Bayliner dealers were there at the early shows and who were they?
    4. Where did you buy boat parts before WM arrived (hint, they were in Mt. View)?
    5. When did the state take over the Whittier train service from the feds?
    6. When did they get rid of the bar car? Why?
    7. What did you see looking through the pooper when the feds ran the train?
    8. How many dog fights did you see on the train? In the passenger car or the baggage car?
    9. When did they expand the vehicle parking lot so they could load both people and cars at the same time?
    10. When did they restrict horsepower on the Kenai River?
    11. Did you drive the original Burma Road and did you find the Little Su?
    12. When did the tractor launches start operation at Deep Creek/Ninilchik?
    13. Where is the Compass Rose and what do you do there? Still?
    14. When did they go to one day openers for commercial halibut longliners (before IFQs)?
    15. When did they open back up the north Cook Inlet streams to King Salmon fishing after being shut down for years?
    16. When did they increase the mesh size for shrimp pots in PWS and eliminate covering 4 sides?
    17. What did the divers in Smitty’s Cove get every March? When did they disappear?

I’m sure you’ve got some good ones to add so let em rip! We’ve got to entertain ourselves until the spring when we can get out again so have fun. Prizes will be given to the most correct answers, just like the freebies you pick up at the boat show.

I was very disappointed with the show this year and will not be going again unless there's a drastic change in years to come. I made it down to the Seattle show this year and perhaps the compairison added to my disappointment but this year in Anchorage seemed much smaller than last year and was an utter waste of money. Maybe it's time for a skilled promoter to combine the sportsman show and boatshow into one grand event. Picking the right time of year would be a challenge but this isn't working. Maybe then Dewey's would join in and Wooldridge and Marita would not miss it. I don't know how many buy boats at these shows but it's a great time meet prospective dealers, tour the different manufactures, buy accessories, and see what's new in the industry.

It was dissapointing last year and it was again this year. I did crawl around that 30 ft Kingfisher trying to get some ideas for mounting an ESPAR in my 27 footer... I also wanted to buy a new tender and I did that. I also met Dan from Dan's raft repair, he will be repairing my current tender prior to me selling it. I also got met the owner of Storm Chasers and spend 20 minutes telling stories and talking boats and to top it all off I got to spend an afternoon with my wife out of the town without the kids... had a good lunch at the Spenard Roadhouse and did the boat show.

I know the answer to #4 above... but waiting to see if anyone else does to. How many of you remeober when Mt View Sporting goods was actually in Mountain View?

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

How many have gone to all 3 drive-ins?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Midnight Sun Boat Co. was the bomb.

Yachtworld had all the accessories. Dewey's was where Brown's electric is now at 76th and Old Seward.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I was there yesterday, it was a waste of my time and money. Not that I had any intentions of making a purchase, I have a boat I am happy with, but that never prevents me from admiring other boats. I had the impression the current boat show is about 50% of what it was last time I visited. Not even ADFG was present. No Marita, no Dewey's, no Potbuilder, no BJ's...

Stopped by Northway Mall on my way home, no boats there either.
    338 i've never done that show but please stop by at the Great Alaskan Sportsmans Show i'll be there, same spot as every year.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Midnight Sun Boat Co. was the bomb.
    Yes it was, remember going there as a little boy with my Dad and then years later when I got my first boat.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Any of you guys know the original owner of "Dewey's" ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Midnight sun !! man was that old lady in there miserable !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast