Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyder skiwear CEO sentenced in illegal Alaska hunt

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default Spyder skiwear CEO sentenced in illegal Alaska hunt

Spyder skiwear CEO sentenced in illegal Alaska hunt
    Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/02/08/278259...#storylink=cpy

Out of curiosity I would like to see a little more comprehensive story on the guide violations.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Yep.

IIRC He was the guide caught smashing horns to give them a broomed appearance.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Here's more info on the guide violations:
    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...ed-34-felonies

http://www.newsminer.com/article_a7e...adbab3831.html

​Really a shame that such a long-time guide would do these things. Makes you wonder what all went down in the many years preceding him being caught.

Another blatant game violation only resulting in another slap on the wrist. Lets see, the hunt was reported to have cost $11,000 ; sentenced for illegal transportation and fined $10,000-a sum less than the guide fee, I take issue with that. Other violations reported and pleaded out from under ; killing a sub-legal ram, evidence tampering, perjury ( it is illegal to lie to a federal officer ) , and conspiracy ( agreement with the assistant/guide to conceal their actions and falsely reporting the kill ) are evident according to the article. And a (presummably) multi-millionare gets off only paying a $10,000 fine, a one year loss of hunting privilages and forfieture of the sub-legal ram.

What a crock !

How is that a crock? The outfitter was the one responsible for the hunt. He instructed the client to shoot the ram, which turned out to be illegal, then he tampered with the horns to make them appear legal. In turn, the outfitter got hit with a huge penalty and the client got hit with a small one for knowing something was wrong but not speaking up. Non residents are required to have go with a guide for a sheep hunt and it is the guides responsibility to make sure a legal sheep is taken. For all we know in this case the client had no clue what a legal sheep even was. Regardless of whether this client was a rich man and a pure trophy hunter or not, the guide is ultimately to blame...and he was penalized accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    How is that a crock? The outfitter was the one responsible for the hunt. He instructed the client to shoot the ram, which turned out to be illegal, then he tampered with the horns to make them appear legal. In turn, the outfitter got hit with a huge penalty and the client got hit with a small one for knowing something was wrong but not speaking up. Non residents are required to have go with a guide for a sheep hunt and it is the guides responsibility to make sure a legal sheep is taken. For all we know in this case the client had no clue what a legal sheep even was. Regardless of whether this client was a rich man and a pure trophy hunter or not, the guide is ultimately to blame...and he was penalized accordingly.
    I thought I was pretty darn clear in my post. To add, the client/hunter is just as responsible for knowing the game laws as the guide is, also, the hunting regs book includes means/methods for identifying a legal ram.

I think the penalty on the guided hunter was sufficient. You have to recognize that a large part of any penalty has to do with one's reputation. And it appears the guided hunter was the one that gave authorities the pictures of the kill prior to one horn being broomed by the guide. Which certainly helped their case.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I think the penalty on the guided hunter was sufficient. You have to recognize that a large part of any penalty has to do with one's reputation. And it appears the guided hunter was the one that gave authorities the pictures of the kill prior to one horn being broomed by the guide. Which certainly helped their case.
    He lied to the U.S. Attorneys office for nearly two full years before admitting he did in fact actualy know the horns had been altered and then provided the photos to support it, according to the article. That speaks ill of his reputation and intent, in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    He lied to the U.S. Attorneys office for nearly two full years before admitting he did in fact actualy know the horns had been altered and then provided the photos to support it, according to the article. That speaks ill of his reputation and intent, in my book.
    Your so focused on the wealthy client who wanted a sheep for his trophy room but oblivious to the fact he obtained this sheep through the services of a corrupt guide. Guides responsibility, guides corrupt scheme to try and make the sheep legal, guide pays the bulk of the penalties.

Uh-huh. He should have destroyed those photo's, and kept his mouth shut like his guide instructed him to.

There's an old saying that two men can keep a secret only if one of them's dead... This guide should have known a snowboarder couldn't be trusted to follow instructions!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I place 90% of the blame on the guide. Yes the client needs to know the regulations but it is the job of the guide to make sure the client is pulling the trigger on a legal sheep. Judging legality of a sheep is one of the main duties of a guide. Justifiably this "Master" guide is paying a big fine and loosing his guiding license. They make no mention of legal actions against assistant guides or other guides who were part of these illegal activities. We can only hope they found themselves a little lighter in the wallet and are currently standing in the unemployment line.

OK can you help me out here as i dont know sqaut about sheep? If the horns were too small why did he break one off and make them even smaller?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    OK can you help me out here as i dont know sqaut about sheep? If the horns were too small why did he break one off and make them even smaller?
    There is an exception to the size rules - broken off (broomed) would make him legal, but he's kinda supposed to be broomed while alive, like in a jousting match with his rivals. Breaking them later is no bueno.

He killed a sheep that had less than full curl horns, which is a violation of Alaska law unless the both the horns had been broken before the kill or the sheep was 8 years old or older, the agreement said.The under-sized sheep's right horn had somehow been damaged in the wild before McGann shot it. Hendricks and an unnamed assistant guide determined the other horn should be broken too, to make it look like a legal kill, according to the agreement.
    "When they found out it was too small to be legal, then the alteration of it, and the continued possession of it at that time became unlawful," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Stephen Cooper, who prosecuted the Fairbanks case.

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    Your so focused on the wealthy client who wanted a sheep for his trophy room but oblivious to the fact he obtained this sheep through the services of a corrupt guide. Guides responsibility, guides corrupt scheme to try and make the sheep legal, guide pays the bulk of the penalties.
    Hardly oblivious, if you reread my posts you will see I mentioned the guide.
    As to the client being wealthy and getting off with what I consider less than appropiate penalty, it is just one more example of how the elite in this country are treated as such, even in the eyes of the law. Personaly, I feel the fine for the client should have been triple what he paid for guides services.

I thought I was pretty darn clear in my post. To add, the client/hunter is just as responsible for knowing the game laws as the guide is, also, the hunting regs book includes means/methods for identifying a legal ram.
    I would hardly consider the legal description of a ram in the reg book a means and method of determining a legal ram. For as big of a deal as it is in determining a legal ram, that diagram is hardly worth anything.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Uh-huh. He should have destroyed those photo's, and kept his mouth shut like his guide instructed him to.

There's an old saying that two men can keep a secret only if one of them's dead... This guide should have known a snowboarder couldn't be trusted to follow instructions!
    He should have reported the violation himself at the first opportunity, as required by law.

Who *****ing cares..... You clowns acting like holier than thou and never done anything wrong.... Didnt know you were all saints delivered to us from god himself

AHHHHH F#$king men. I doubt many people could afford $10,000 in fines and if they can it still would get there attention.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Thanks for the links, Mark. It seems (based on the articles) that it probably was not Hendricks, but assistant guides, violating the laws. Kind of a management issue.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Who *****ing cares..... You clowns acting like holier than thou and never done anything wrong.... Didnt know you were all saints delivered to us from god himself
    I tend to agree with you in regards to the hunter making a mistake or any sheep or moose hunter who pulls the trigger on an animal they are certain is legal only to find out otherwise. But when it comes to the guide or his assistant guides I have little leniency or sympathy. I think the master guide is catching some of the wrap for violations by his assistants but many of the violations are of his own doing. You don't get charged with 34 felonies without having a direct hand in a majority of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast