Thread: Seasonal Car leasing in AK

Default Seasonal Car leasing in AK

Hey everyone,
    I am looking to get some work in Alaska for the summer months as a way to get a good taste
    of the state and employment situation. I have step one taken care of ( I have someone to
    rent my boat (home) for the summer). Not knowing at this time where I might end up and
    what I may be doing I wanted to know if any company up there has a seasonal rental or lease
    program for a car. I am not so sure my 13 year old Honda CRV wolud survive the 10,000 mile
    round trip. I don't need anything fancy just dependable. Years ago while stationed in Norfolk we
    had a "rent a wreck" company that rented older cars at very reasonable prices. Ant help would
    be appreciated.
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

I think you may be better off flying up and buying a beater with a heater.There is two seasons for the renters the peak and off peak and the summer is the peak and that is about double the off peak. Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    I think you may be better off flying up and buying a beater with a heater.There is two seasons for the renters the peak and off peak and the summer is the peak and that is about double the off peak. Good luck
    Thats a good Idea........Anybody want to sell their beater around May?

Summer is $750+ on rentals for 30days.

You'll get a much better "taste" of Alaska in January than you will in July. Hence why it's called Tourist Season.
    2nd the Beater advice.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Send a PM to member sodabiscuit12345 He has done the summer thing up here a few times and did a seasonal rental each time. He now lives here, but I'm sure he could tell you how he went about it.

Levi rental on Dowling may be a good place to start when looking for seasonal renting.

However, a CL beater for a couple grand will put you money ahead. There are several winter storage options.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    You'll get a much better "taste" of Alaska in January than you will in July. Hence why it's called Tourist Season.
    2nd the Beater advice.
    I knew someone woukld throw that at me. Its just the oppiste here. Our summers are the dead time.
    A beater makes more sense than renting as far as the cost goes but don't want to get stuck with
    a tranny repair or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Send a PM to member sodabiscuit12345 He has done the summer thing up here a few times and did a seasonal rental each time. He now lives here, but I'm sure he could tell you how he went about it.
    Thanks Brian,
    I will send a Pm

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Levi rental on Dowling may be a good place to start when looking for seasonal renting.

However, a CL beater for a couple grand will put you money ahead. There are several winter storage options.

Thanks Ray.....storage options? just got me think'n. How great would it be to have a car up there? What options are you
    aware of and about how much for storgage on a monthly basis?

I'm sure it's more expencive in anchorage but there are places out here by Big lake for around $30 month

Call Alaska Car and Van in Anchorage, ask for Tom. He rents, rents to own and whatever else he can do. He might make you a deal on a long term rental.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson