Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold Traps

Talking Gold Traps

How many people here came up with a invention that works?

I have a couple of in mind, but not tried.

Not me but that poster a little while back with the bathtub invention for separating out the gold sure seem like he had a great invention... Sure like to know what ever happened with that or if the pics were ever posted.. Edit: it was in the "easy gold " thread...

I think I remember something about that. Never heard anything either.

Here's one that I was thinking about, dont laugh,

Take a 4" PVC tube about 4' long and stick a screen that fits in the middle of it, with steel wool on both sides . Throw it out in a glacier stream and check it every 3 weeks, lol.

I would think that'd get plugged up pretty quick...........if I'm understanding your description?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Finding Gold has to do with location, location, location, my 40 years of gold mining experience tells me putting if you put it in a tree you would get more gold. LOL

It probably would 4mer.

MacGuyver, don't money grow on tree's? grins.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    MacGuyver, don't money grow on tree's? grins.
    Yes........ that why i said to put it in a tree.

Talking

I thought nature already gave us gold traps under rocks and inside crevices? All you need is a small suction dredge to get it out. I don't know if you guys have Harbor Freight (horrible freight) up there or not but they have a couple of small water pumps with 6 HP Chinese made throw away engines. One was clear water the other was dirty water, my guess the only difference was the length of the warranty

In case you didn't know it already culverts are a good gold trap.:)
    As far as inriver homeade traps you would need substantial water movement to move gravel and hence the gold into your trap.
    Normal flow doesn't normally move much gravel/ gold. Spring runnoff and floods are some of the things required to move the gravels on the riverbottom.
    You would need something fairly substantial as a 4" pipe would load up with gravel so quickly during a flood it would probably be plugged off and not working in a matter of hours or the gravel/gold would blow right through in the high water flows.
    Also don't get caught placing one of these in the stream. If it is not your claim you are in trouble. If it is a public area you are not normally allowed to leave stuff unattended for weeks at a time and it would most likely get raided/stolen by someone else. Especially if it worked.
    I do know if it was in the Chugach they would not allow something like this and/or would fine you for putting it out if they thought it was yours.
    It would most likely be considered trash left behind by whomever controls the land it is on.

I have not personally invented any new mining stuff but what I do have works good and I know how to use it.
    I am the type who will buy what works and go out and use it rather than spending half my free time building something that works half as well and cost 80+% of what a factory made one cost.
    I have made a few things like a homeade rocker box but we had plans and a video to go off of. My highbanker is more efficient and works so well so I haven't really taken the time to tweak the rocker box so it works right. It needs a little modification to work properly.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Take a piece of cellophane and wrap it around the end of amagnet. Swish around the pan and pull out. The magnetic black sands will comeout and by removing the cellophane the particles come off of the magnet easily.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I"ll have to go down and look into that as how it is legal to put out a steel trap, lol. I think if you put your name on it and adress I don't think it would be considered as trash. ( the big thing as you say is the robbers out there )
    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    In case you didn't know it already culverts are a good gold trap.:)
    As far as inriver homeade traps you would need substantial water movement to move gravel and hence the gold into your trap.
    Normal flow doesn't normally move much gravel/ gold. Spring runnoff and floods are some of the things required to move the gravels on the riverbottom.
    You would need something fairly substantial as a 4" pipe would load up with gravel so quickly during a flood it would probably be plugged off and not working in a matter of hours or the gravel/gold would blow right through in the high water flows.
    Also don't get caught placing one of these in the stream. If it is not your claim you are in trouble. If it is a public area you are not normally allowed to leave stuff unattended for weeks at a time and it would most likely get raided/stolen by someone else. Especially if it worked.
    I do know if it was in the Chugach they would not allow something like this and/or would fine you for putting it out if they thought it was yours.
    It would most likely be considered trash left behind by whomever controls the land it is on.

I have not personally invented any new mining stuff but what I do have works good and I know how to use it.
    I am the type who will buy what works and go out and use it rather than spending half my free time building something that works half as well and cost 80+% of what a factory made one cost.
    I have made a few things like a homeade rocker box but we had plans and a video to go off of. My highbanker is more efficient and works so well so I haven't really taken the time to tweak the rocker box so it works right. It needs a little modification to work properly.

I"ll have to go down and look into that as how it is legal to put out a steel trap, lol. I think if you put your name on it and adress I don't think it would be considered as trash. ( the big thing as you say is the robbers out there )
    First thing trappers do have a trapping license.
    Second I know many gov't agencies such as the forest service and Wildlife refuges do have a limit on how long you can leave personal property unattended on public lands they manage.
    A trapper tends his traps on a regular basis so you could say he has not left them unattended. Not for 3 weeks at a time anyway as was suggested.
    If he checks them once a week then he has only left them unattended for 7 days and that is within the limit.
    Third areas like the Kenai National wildlife refuge also have a trapper registration program giving you permission to trap there as well as specific rules on the do's and dont's and their is a required class.
    So some public land allows the trappers under certain conditions but would likely not allow unattended mining gear to be left out for 3 weeks at a time.
    Fourth a trap is also a management tool designed to be left out. This type of gold catcher left unattended in the stream is not by definition a type of normal mining gear.
    It might be possible though if you owned the mining claim and it was in your mining plan paperwork you submitted. That of course is assuming they approve your mining plan. Just because you filled it out properly doesn't mean they willl automatically approve it.
    If it was an area on the Kenai national wildlife refuge or the Chugach national forest I would say your odds of getting away with this legaly are slim to none. Maybe on lands administered by other agencies but I havent delt with the State or BLM at all.
    Or on private lands with permission it would probably be OK.
    I won't get into the Anadramous fish stream problems.

I get where you are coming from, but us here in the interior don't have quit the restrictions that you all have down there. ( We kinda still get away with some things, grins ) I will still need to go down and see if its leagal. The streams that I was thinking about don't have a fish issue. ( the three weeks was just thrown out there.)
    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    First thing trappers do have a trapping license.
    Second I know many gov't agencies such as the forest service and Wildlife refuges do have a limit on how long you can leave personal property unattended on public lands they manage.
    A trapper tends his traps on a regular basis so you could say he has not left them unattended. Not for 3 weeks at a time anyway as was suggested.
    If he checks them once a week then he has only left them unattended for 7 days and that is within the limit.
    Third areas like the Kenai National wildlife refuge also have a trapper registration program giving you permission to trap there as well as specific rules on the do's and dont's and their is a required class.
    So some public land allows the trappers under certain conditions but would likely not allow unattended mining gear to be left out for 3 weeks at a time.
    Fourth a trap is also a management tool designed to be left out. This type of gold catcher left unattended in the stream is not by definition a type of normal mining gear.
    It might be possible though if you owned the mining claim and it was in your mining plan paperwork you submitted. That of course is assuming they approve your mining plan. Just because you filled it out properly doesn't mean they willl automatically approve it.
    If it was an area on the Kenai national wildlife refuge or the Chugach national forest I would say your odds of getting away with this legaly are slim to none. Maybe on lands administered by other agencies but I havent delt with the State or BLM at all.
    Or on private lands with permission it would probably be OK.
    I won't get into the Anadramous fish stream problems.

A large section of culvert either Galvanized or the plastic variety would be a simple yet effective gold trap.The metal variety would be easier to secure as it is heavier and wants to sink. People find gold all the time in roadside culverts on gold producing streams.
    A lot depends on who controls the land where you wish to place your trap.
    It may be one of those things where you just do it and do your best to keep it camoflauged. If you get caught just claim you found it and are removing the trash from the stream.
    Like I said earlier though you would be best to have it go through spring floods or some other kind of gravel moving high water activity.
    If you can the absolute best would be to work a dredge down to bedrock and secure your trap directly on the bedrock and let it sit several months.
    Sitting on top of normal steream gravels during normal water flow would not be productive.You might catch a bit of gravel but it would be only the lighest material.
    I have a mini cleanup sluice made from Rain gutter,ribbed black floor matting,leaf screen and some garden hose fittings.
    Not my invention but effective and cheap.
    Works good for cleanup on fine gold.

Around here the rural roads are public property, at least until it comes time to mow the weeds. I'd think your idea of a little culvert mining would not be a problem?
    Retired guy with too many hobbies....
    Shooting, reloading, metal fab/home machine shop.
    VW TDI diesel, fishing, Prospecting, Trip to Alaska via RV
    Retired from commercial HVAC / Master Electrician

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I thought nature already gave us gold traps under rocks and inside crevices? All you need is a small suction dredge to get it out. I don't know if you guys have Harbor Freight (horrible freight) up there or not but they have a couple of small water pumps with 6 HP Chinese made throw away engines. One was clear water the other was dirty water, my guess the only difference was the length of the warranty
    I am totally with George on this. The traps are already out there and have gold in them. Your job is to go get the gold. Putting out traps for gold just adds to the work. And no, gold does not pour down rivers all the time. At the very most flood gold redistributes regularly but heavy gold only move with major flood events, the type that will destroy your gold trap.

Fun little discussion but seriously guys if you want to go get some gold go out and get some. People are dredging right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Herschbach View Post
    I am totally with George on this. The traps are already out there and have gold in them. Your job is to go get the gold. Putting out traps for gold just adds to the work. And no, gold does not pour down rivers all the time. At the very most flood gold redistributes regularly but heavy gold only move with major flood events, the type that will destroy your gold trap.

Fun little discussion but seriously guys if you want to go get some gold go out and get some. People are dredging right now.

I totally agree with you on this Steve.
    I have never heard of such a trap working. I have heard several people wanting to build/install one but never heard of anyone actually trying it.
    My Highbanker and Sluice box always seem to find at least a little color if not more.

I could build one if needed. Can weld aluminum and make about anything. With my wife soon to retire I will have more time than money. Take my little overweight lazy dog and spend the day getting our feet wet and cold.
    Retired guy with too many hobbies....
    Shooting, reloading, metal fab/home machine shop.
    VW TDI diesel, fishing, Prospecting, Trip to Alaska via RV
    Retired from commercial HVAC / Master Electrician

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Herschbach View Post

The fun part about is that you never know when somebody will come up with a good idea. ( know people will be crawling all over Alaskas culverts to see if they hold gold, lol )

The fun part about is that you never know when somebody will come up with a good idea. ( know people will be crawling all over Alaskas culverts to see if they hold gold, lol )
    People have been dredging out roadside culverts on gold bearing streams for years. That is nothing new.
    While new ideas are always fun, I for one would rather buy what already works and get out and find some gold.
    Good luck and tons of AU to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast