Thread: different size tires front and rear on 6x6 Ranger?

Default different size tires front and rear on 6x6 Ranger?

I recently bought an older 6x6 Ranger. I has like new ITP 589's on the back in 26x12x12 and 25x10x12 stock size tires on the front. I understand 26's on the front would rub (therefore the 25's).Anyone have any experience with this or is there anything to be concerned about with the gear ratio when the front diff is engaged? Thanks.

Get your check book out. New 26" fronts & spacers NOW or a larger bill when the front end explodes.

Any idea on what size spacers are required? What is a good source for these? I know Chapparal offers great deals on tires and shipping.

Is it the ranger with the metal bed?

No, it has the plastic bed.

A friend's '05 has 26" mudlites. 9" wide tires on the front. No rubbing. 2 washers behind the wheel to get off the tie rod boot. Tear that boot and the tie rod end goes bad quick. Not ideal but cheaper than 1" wheel spacers. Some dealers stock the spacers. Hatchers in wasilla comes to mind. The 1.5" spacers are way overkill. 10" front tires in most brands will require spacers.

You could get aluminum spacers off ebay. I would get rid of the different sized tires asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan6966 View Post
    You could get aluminum spacers off ebay. I would get rid of the different sized tires asap.
    I measured boyh circumferences of the front and rear tires and they are only 3/4" different so the 589s are certainly smaller than expected. Polaris dealer it said it wouldnt matter anyway as the front wont engage until the rears are spinning. In their opinion, the only downside is the rear tires would need to spin faster than normal before the front would engage.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceman View Post
    I measured boyh circumferences of the front and rear tires and they are only 3/4" different so the 589s are certainly smaller than expected. Polaris dealer it said it wouldnt matter anyway as the front wont engage until the rears are spinning. In their opinion, the only downside is the rear tires would need to spin faster than normal before the front would engage.
    They told you that cause they get the money for a new transfer case if she goes . In all seriousness just make sure you only use your front wheel drive in slippery conditions/off-road. If you do feel some binding in your drive train, be sure to let off the gas.