Thread: State Pike Bounty?

Default State Pike Bounty?

I saw a posting that the state should put a bounty on pikes in an effort to remove this species that is hurting the survival rate of the natural salmon fry and therefore the numbers of returning salmon in the runs, especially in the Mat-Su area. I, for one, agree that any unnaturally introduced to this area that has a known negative effect on salmon population ought to be wiped out if possible. So, with that in mind, I have some questions...
    1. What is your opinion on a pike bounty?
    and for those of us who have little or no experience going after pike,
    2. What gear, techniques are needed to contribute to this worthwhile endeavor?
    and
    3. Where should we fish out the pikes to do the most good?

Sorry if this seems like a lot for one thread, but I am one of those who sees people talking about solutions and wants to take part as much as possible in those solutions.

That might have been me about the bounty. I arrived here in the early 70's and have enjoyed fishing all over South Central. Now that some idiots introduced Pike in to most of the lakes and rivers the fishing sucks! Pike will eat everything out of a lake to the point of nothing left except a few very big pike and then they will eat the young pike. The pike wont die off but they will be the only type left in the long run. I don't think the pike are the only problem but their a large contributing factor that is steadily getting worse. I too like to catch pike but I would rather eat a rainbow or a salmon than a boney pike. The only solution I can see is to have a bounty, say .50c per tail, to get people to fish them down so we can get some salmon and rainbows back. Lakes can be treated with Rotenone to kill everything in a lake but you cant do that for our rivers. Here is one example of the problem http://www.adn.com/2011/01/31/167754...ylink=misearch. If you are interested go to adn.com and search 'pike'.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

While pike are certainly voracious eaters, they don't necessarily eat everything. This rainbow was caught in a very well known "pike lake" last weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pike fishing is already pretty unlimited. No bag limit, use rods, bows, or spears... Maybe have a $10/tail bounty? Only worried about where the State would get the money from.

That lake looks awfully familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    While pike are certainly voracious eaters, they don't necessarily eat everything. This rainbow was caught in a very well known "pike lake" last weekend.
    It was just to big for the pike to swallow. Bet you wont find any little trout!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    It was just to big for the pike to swallow. Bet you wont find any little trout!
    True, but that fish didn't start out that big...it grew to be that big. We used to catch a lot of trout there, but ADFG scaled back on stocking it due to being a "pike lake". It was stocked this past summer, but between the pike and the people keeping every 8 inch fish they caught, I'd venture to say all those fish are gone.

the pike fishing sucks too in most lakes so i dont think they are the main problem. in the interior there are way more pike and the other species have no problem sustaining their numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    True, but that fish didn't start out that big...it grew to be that big. We used to catch a lot of trout there, but ADFG scaled back on stocking it due to being a "pike lake". It was stocked this past summer, but between the pike and the people keeping every 8 inch fish they caught, I'd venture to say all those fish are gone.
    And those waters started off without pike.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_pike View Post
    the pike fishing sucks too in most lakes so i dont think they are the main problem. in the interior there are way more pike and the other species have no problem sustaining their numbers
    The pike are cannibals after they eat everything else they eat each other so the pike fishing sucks. Look what has happened to the salmon. Ciompair what was there in the 70's to what is left now. Pike are not the only problem but they are something the average fisherman can do something about., the rest(commercial fisheries) is political.

And those waters started off without pike.
    Same thing I was thinking.....that bow managed to grow up and get too big to eat before a pike had the chance to go after him.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Some info from AF&G site.
    "Where northern pike naturally occur in Alaska, they are highly valued as a subsistence and sport fish. In these waters, there are many other fish, such as whitefish, sheefish, suckers, Alaska blackfish, stickleback, and char. In their native range, pike are simply another member of the fish community, living in a balanced ecosystem with other fish species.

In Southcentral, illegally-introduced pike can change the balance of an aquatic ecosystem by preying on native fish while having few predators of their own. Some lakes and streams that once supported healthy numbers of silver salmon, Chinook salmon, and rainbow trout now have only small northern pike. This is how illegally-stocked pike have lessened the quality of fishing and threaten wild and stocked fisheries in Southcentral Alaska "
    Attachment 68116
    Northern pike occur naturally in most of Alaska, but they are not native to Southcentral. In the areas where pike do not naturally occur (yellow), they are an invasive fish species and are capable of causing a lot of damage.

That might have been me about the bounty. I arrived here in the early 70's and have enjoyed fishing all over South Central. Now that some idiots introduced Pike in to most of the lakes and rivers the fishing sucks! Pike will eat everything out of a lake to the point of nothing left except a few very big pike and then they will eat the young pike. The pike wont die off but they will be the only type left in the long run. I don't think the pike are the only problem but their a large contributing factor that is steadily getting worse. I too like to catch pike but I would rather eat a rainbow or a salmon than a boney pike. The only solution I can see is to have a bounty, say .50c per tail, to get people to fish them down so we can get some salmon and rainbows back. Lakes can be treated with Rotenone to kill everything in a lake but you cant do that for our rivers. Here is one example of the problem http://www.adn.com/2011/01/31/167754...ylink=misearch. If you are interested go to adn.com and search 'pike'.

Music Man, as a resident of Alexander Creek your for the most part correct in every aspect of the sorry mess created by Pike. I can add to that the sport fishing aspect here at the creek contributed greatly to the loss of Kings. Way to much pressure for a little creek like Alexander. Many, many people poached Kings with littel chance of being caught due to no law Enforcment prescence. The Pike eradication program with Dave Rutz and Sam Ivey is so far producing great results as more Kings are returning and the Rainbows and Grayling are great in the fall. My partner reeled in a 6 pound rainbow last
    year and a 20 1/2 grayling. I feel to keep it that way they will have to net the Pike annually and I doubt the Kings will ever open more than maybe a weekend fishery. Do not miss the lodges and the circus!IMG_3902.JPGIMG_2010.JPG

That nice article I linked to in the ADN is gone now, no trace of it! I guess someone there likes pike. As I have said before, the pike are only part of the problem. When you see statements like this:
    "We sampled 274 pike in a stream where salmon are still abundant and we found over 600 salmon in the stomachs of these pike. Several of the pike had greater than 20 juvenile salmon in their stomachs." said Adam Sepulveda, USGS scientist and lead author of the study.

and this:
    "In places like Alexander Creek, where northern pike are well established, we have seen a complete loss of salmon fisheries and the closure of several businesses that once depended on them." said Kristine Dunker, biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game and co-author of the study.

It makes me wonder why people aren't up in arms and demanding F&G do something!