Thread: Tire Studs ?

Default Tire Studs ?

I am thinking about adding studs to my tires.
    I know they will help during the winter.
    Would you take them out during the summer?
    I do not run on the pavement.

I put studs in mine three years ago. I love them, really help with the winter plowing but in the summer they really help when driving over muddy or rain slick logs. Another thing I love them for is loading and unloading on my plywood decked trailer. After sliding off while loading and parked on a hill and having a 750 lb wheeler land on me I'll tear up the deck of my trailer a little...gladly. Well worth it in my opinion...

I put the hex headed screw in studs my foreman and they worked very well both in winter and summer, but they do wear down to round nubs and I doubt I could remove them very easily. It does last a while though. I don't use that machine much any more in the winter but if I did I would probably just add some more and not remove the old ones if they didn't want to come out. It is impressive the difference.

Instant traction on ice! The chains i had weren't the right type, they just got buried in the lugs, but i adding inexpensive hex head sheet metal screws and they turned out great. As said before, effective on wood ramps.

If you ran them all year long you might need to replace them every year but they probably would not hurt anything.

I drilled and studded my tires on the ranger and installed auto studs. Works great in the winter. Some pulled out in spring before I had time to switch back to my summer tires. They won't hurt your tires in the summer but will work themselfs out.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Default Tire studs 9 years

Love em summer and winter
    Attached Images Attached Images

I ran Ice Screws (fancy sheet metal screws with tapered heads) for years on Kodiak and even with the exposed rocks most of the screws lasted the entire winter; the screws also really help to climb over fallen trees, and excellent traction on slick & slimy wooden bridges and, as others have stated, on wooden ramps.

Denali Drufter. Are those broken studs or auto studs that look like dots. Also is that a combination of auto studs and sheet metal screws. How long are the screws and which do you like best? Thanks for any info.

Just get these there amazing , we ran them on our bikes and wheelers and had no problems with traction, and they make them in all sizes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The small ones are car tire studs had them in for about 10 years and they still have grip,but about shot. The kold kutters have better traction at first but are gone after 3 years. Got tracks now and will use the car studs in them.

Quote Originally Posted by nastyak650h1 View Post

Just get these there amazing , we ran them on our bikes and wheelers and had no problems with traction, and they make them in all sizes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    run these on my KX450 all winter long - can't go wrong with Kold Kutters!

Glacier Chain Supply has carbide studs that screw in and out that work well.
    http://www.glacierchain.com/

The folks at Glacier Chain are really nice to deal with and very helpful.
    FWIW I have even used the Kold Cutters in my boots when the weather gets icy and I am limbing felled trees- cheaper than calk boots and can take studs out after the season.