Thread: talkeetna area

Default talkeetna area

Looking a job in Talkeetna and never have fished Parks hwy rivers. What are my basic options for salmon & trout, within a hours drive that will have foot access. Will look at a basic raft for future exploring. Prefer to fly fish but fishing / catching is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Looking a job in Talkeetna and never have fished Parks hwy rivers. What are my basic options for salmon & trout, within a hours drive that will have foot access. Will look at a basic raft for future exploring. Prefer to fly fish but fishing / catching is more important.
    Might be easier to discuss what salmon & trout options you won't have in that area. Not much comes to mind.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Willow, caswell, sheep, kashwitna, Montana, goose, sunshine, birch, little su, answer, Montana lakes, x-y lakes, rabiduex, big su, trapper.... All have foot access and great fishing in your area.... Most of the creeks host rainbows, dollies, grayling, burbot at the creek mouths, whitefish, runs of king, silvers, chums, pinks and some even have reds....the main talkeetna river can be great too. The lakes mentioned have very good rainbow fishing.... X lake right near talkeetna is in fact a trophy fly fishing only water, catch and release only..... And has some really beastly rainbows in it.

Good luck.

Release Lake Trout

Willow, caswell, sheep, kashwitna, Montana, goose, sunshine, birch, little su, answer, Montana lakes, x-y lakes, rabiduex, big su, trapper.... All have foot access and great fishing in your area.... Most of the creeks host rainbows, dollies, grayling, burbot at the creek mouths, whitefish, runs of king, silvers, chums, pinks and some even have reds....the main talkeetna river can be great too. The lakes mentioned have very good rainbow fishing.... X lake right near talkeetna is in fact a trophy fly fishing only water, catch and release only..... And has some really beastly rainbows in it.
    There will be kings in the river, but, as pointed out by a number of fishermen of those waters much more experienced than I, fishing kings this summer in the waters mentioned wouldn't be really a good idea. Even if the state doesn't close the area for kings, they need relief from fishing pressure for a while so there are kings there for future generations. But then I'm sure Hunt n Fish AK would have told you that too.

I think no matter where you are, Kings are out for the next few years. Not to mention I hear it can be quite the Zoo!! Would rather fish Silver, Rainbows and Reds. # for # would take a Chum any day, just wouldn't eat one out of the river.

I think no matter where you are, Kings are out for the next few years. Not to mention I hear it can be quite the Zoo!! Would rather fish Silver, Rainbows and Reds. # for # would take a Chum any day, just wouldn't eat one out of the river.

I assumed he and most others would know kings are pretty much out, but was jus listing fish that frequent those streams..... Chums show up at those streams about the last week of July and many are still in great shape and are excellent eating IMO...I usually round out my limit with 2 nice chums and a first arrival silver during that time until the silvers show up in numbers... And though the chums deteriorate quickly in fresh water, they put up a wonderful bulldog fight and will aggressively grab a lure... The silvers show up with the chums usually up there or right after within the first week of August thats when I have seen the best silver fishing up there

Release Lake Trout

I would check out the streams further north of you across the Big Su bridge, less people and just as many fish if not more, because people don't want to drive 3 hours from Anch to fish those parks streams.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I would check out the streams further north of you across the Big Su bridge, less people and just as many fish if not more, because people don't want to drive 3 hours from Anch to fish those parks streams.
    The jack river near Cantwell has wonderful grayling fishing..... Byers and troublesome are always great trout waters....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Byers and troublesome are always great trout waters....
    And full of big brown fuzzy things on four legs.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Byers and troublesome are always great trout waters....
    Are you trying to get this poor man eaten? This has been discussed at length that Byers and Troublesome are not legitimate fishing options.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

oh yeah, i forgot to mention those......lots of em around....but the fishing......! it makes it worth the risk....okay just kidding it really doesnt.....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Are you trying to get this poor man eaten? This has been discussed at length that Byers and Troublesome are not legitimate fishing options.

well no not purposely.....thats up to him...jus givin options.

Release Lake Trout

surprised no one mentioned clear creek (unless I missed it) Get on Mahays riverboat service and take the awesome run up to cleer creek, they drop you off for as long as you want.
    Good trout and dolly fishing there. Used to be good kings too.....
    Justin

Speaking of Clear Creek..does anyone know if the Talkeetna trail makes it all the way back to the river. Looking at a place to put in and trying to cut the distance to Clear Creek. i heard there was a place down Mercedes road..but access might be limited now.

Smaller boat obviously..and considering the Mokias as well.

not looking to hijack....PM me with details if needed. Thanks
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Thanks for the heads up SkinnyD The brown fuzzy, give me the wuzzies!!!
    Alot of times I fish by myself, so bear aware is important to me. For some reason in Kodiak they keep there distance, but have heard the parks streams they cam be a little more pushy.

I have rarely seen bears on any of the parks streams, imo they are better to deal with then the ones on the Kenai, Kenai bears have no fear of people what so ever, the ones on the parks are at least a little afraid of people and usually you wont see them.

A buddy of mine was charged this year on Byers and he had to fire off a round. I've had issues on Clear while fishing late in the evening. The black bears there can be pretty grumpy.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

At any rate I think you know what your in for, don't go out there unprotected!

At any rate I think you know what your in for, don't go out there unprotected!
    Yup! Condoms protecting man for 400+ years

I have rarely seen bears on any of the parks streams, imo they are better to deal with then the ones on the Kenai, Kenai bears have no fear of people what so ever, the ones on the parks are at least a little afraid of people and usually you wont see them.
    I have seen more bears on the Kenai, true enough. I just take some comfort in knowing that if a bear charges through the conga line, there is a good chance it will eat someone besides me (or someone will shoot at* it). If I'm fishing Troublesome and find myself crawling on my belly under an alder bush two miles from the parking lot, well...
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.