Thread: Magellan designing new GPS for hunters

Lightbulb Magellan designing new GPS for hunters

Hey Mike - Brian! Delete this if you feel its not appropriate :-)

-Magellan product development team has asked me to ask fellow hunters for feedback in designing their new GPS specifically designed for hunters. The survey is 6 easy questions relating to specific GPS features you'd like (I've taken it already) and in return for your feedback you'll be entered to win a new unit.

"Magellan is building a GPS device explicitly for the hunter and they would love your input! They've put together a very short survey that should take no more than a minute to complete. Anyone who completes the survey will be entered to win a GPS. Just follow this link:"

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HuntingGPSDesign
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I suggested Magellan offer a unit with two way radio communication like the Garmin Rino. If we all push them hard enough I bet they would do it. :-)

Tim,

I took the survey but they don't ask one important question. I don't like where the buttons are located. The buttons along the bottom like that make it difficult to use one handed. It takes one hand to hold the GPS and the other to push the buttons.

Randy

That was the lamest survey I have ever seen. What could Magellan ever get from those questions? I think they were only trying to find out what other GPS units other hunters are using.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

What's the purpose of making a GPS with a camo cover? While I suppose it may look cool (to some), functionally I want my gps unit to be easy to find, expecially for when I do something stupid like lay it down on a rock or log, or if it happens to fall out of my pocket (both of which have happened). My current unit is bright yellow...and I haven't been able to loose it yet, unlike the multiple knives, bone saws and assorted other things I've donated to the wilderness over these many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle50 View Post
    Tim,

I took the survey but they don't ask one important question. I don't like where the buttons are located. The buttons along the bottom like that make it difficult to use one handed. It takes one hand to hold the GPS and the other to push the buttons.

Randy
    Hey Randy...ya, I hear ya. I think the survey is more about if they should offer a unit in camo more than anything. I said I would pass it on. Kinda like a hunting knife...you want it to be bright orange so you don't lose it.

Magellan just needs to look at Garmin.

EASY... Add SPOT like technology to the GPS with no subscription

Oh ya, and that survey was pretty pointless, good thing they asked us hunters what they want in a GPS

Survey is obviously from the R&D marketing department. Not a question about features, but they'll know what features you like based on the Garmin you said you are currently using.

As to the radio thing, the last thing I want in a GPS is a radio. Radios are illegal for hunting in Alaska. Don't want a radio anywhere close to my hunting activities. I've always thought the RINO was the worst Garmin model they came out with... until they modified it to run dog tracking collars. That part is pretty cool.

Sat messaging interface (SPOT) is what we need. I just need to be able to sat message a position and a short text message back to civilization every once in awhile, or to call for help in an emergency. Would be nice to be able to leave SPOT back in the truck and just carry one GPS device that does it all.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Survey is obviously from the R&D marketing department. Not a question about features, but they'll know what features you like based on the Garmin you said you are currently using.

As to the radio thing, the last thing I want in a GPS is a radio. Radios are illegal for hunting in Alaska. Don't want a radio anywhere close to my hunting activities. I've always thought the RINO was the worst Garmin model they came out with... until they modified it to run dog tracking collars. That part is pretty cool.

Sat messaging interface (SPOT) is what we need. I just need to be able to sat message a position and a short text message back to civilization every once in awhile, or to call for help in an emergency. Would be nice to be able to leave SPOT back in the truck and just carry one GPS device that does it all.
    Radios are illegal if used to aid a hunter in hunting game that part I know but the radio feature is useful in many other ways. The SPOT feature I did not think of adding. Question is, by the time you get all these bells n' whistles added you're looking at a $1200 GPS. The current model under review is around $300 I believe. What is a good price point for a GPS?

There is no single "good price point" for a GPS. This is why Garmin has been so successful for the last 20+ years of making the most popular consumer GPS units on the market. They make a GPS case and put in the basic GPS stuff. That's the entry level model. Then they add some features and make the next higher model. Another batch of gizmos for another model. High end geeky stuff for the high end. Any given GPS case may have 3, 4, or 5 different models. Entry level units kick off around $100. The high end handhelds are in the $500-600 range.

I've always wanted the high end model. My last Garmin upgrade purchase (62stc) was nearly $500. It was an upgrade to the unit that I carried for at least 5 or 6 years before that (76CSx, which still works great). I expect the new unit to keep me happy for at least another 5-6 years, if not longer. At this point I can hardly imagine any additional features that can be added... except for direct satellite communication. I'd gladly pay another hundred for that ability, if it comes in a Garmin.

Here's what Magellan is lacking... the ability to load custom and home-made maps, like you can with Garmin. The only time Maggie ever caught my attention was when they came out with the Trailblazer and we were still running the Garmin 40. But Garmin quickly came out with units that left Magellan in the dust. The main thing I hated about Magellan was the user interface. Garmin has had the best user interface all along. Though the current units are getting too "smarty pants" fone-like and leaving behind the advance user in favor of the casual user. If they continue down that road much further, it may actually drive some of us "power users" away, or at least leave us running our older units much longer.

The GPS user market is extremely complicated. I would not desire to be on the marketing team for any of these outfits.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    What's the purpose of making a GPS with a camo cover? While I suppose it may look cool (to some), functionally I want my gps unit to be easy to find, expecially for when I do something stupid like lay it down on a rock or log, or if it happens to fall out of my pocket (both of which have happened). My current unit is bright yellow...and I haven't been able to loose it yet, unlike the multiple knives, bone saws and assorted other things I've donated to the wilderness over these many years.
    You are 100% correct, but the short answer is - camo sells. It's stupid and any experienced hunter has learned it, but it sells. Maybe it's the parents or spouses that think..."camo!...he'll love that!".

Being in the GIS/GPS field for the last 20+ years, I would suggest a 3D Topo and ability to toggle to 3D Aerial with Google like functionality.
    I have owned the Platinum model in the past and found it to be good at the time. I liked the expansion slot for extra memory, weather - need to have on all the time when batteries in place, and the reception was good.
    Spot capability without subscription as mentioned before would be good, ability to locate your lost gps from another gps (this would help in the case if it was stolen), and voice commands would be on my wish list.

A multi-card slot so we can use the GPS to view game camera memory cards while in the field. Also some kind of sights so you can accurately sight a bearing to, for example, a bedded animal and do the sight-n-go feature to project a waypoint like Garmin has. LONGER battery life.

Thanks to those that filled out the Magellan survey. I realize it was a very basic set of questions which mostly centered around CAMO skin options but, it was also an opportunity to share with them this forum and for them to read the feedback from our group regarding our needs in the field.

Case that includes a sleeve for a chem light to slip into so I don't loose the **** thing in the dark cause of the stupid camo cover. A camera that records all the info from the location of the photo. A satellite emergency/text transmitter (spot,delorme). Buttons that are large enough to operate with gloves on. Tide table info based on location. Ballistic info interface. Built in rangefider with angle/actual compensation. I mean my Iphone 5 practically has all this stuff already so for a proprietary electronic device to only have to handle a few fucntions comparatively I just don't see why it's unreasonable to think it could happen.