Thread: Plastic Fuel Tanks - Custom Made??

Default Plastic Fuel Tanks - Custom Made??

I discovered this weekend my 28 foot boat has a fuel tank leak (lucky discovered it before putting it in the water). To remove my 144 gallon aluminum tank is going to require pulling my inboard out. I plan on re-powering next season so it makes more sence to do it then. I thought I would put large plastic tanks in my below deck storage area. Any idea who makes plastic tanks in Alaska?

Default Greer tank comes to mind

I know they make underground water storage tanks i believe, or above ground. But they make them. Not sure about other tanks. those are the huge round ones in people p/u trucks. White in color. Give them a call or look in a west marine catalog, huge sellection of tanks. plus greer tank might make aluminum ones also.

You might check with Image Plastics in Anchorage as well. They built a replacement windshield for me last year and you could't tell it from the factory one. I would imagine they can do tanks/containers.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Have you heard of those bladder gas tanks? That might be another option.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I've looked into bladder tanks, they are very expensive and I don't think you can get full fuel storage in the given volume due to the way they fill up.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

When I had my Naiad inflatable I made some of the 15 gallon plastic gas cans like Dewey's sells into tanks I could plug in like a normal boat tank,you could get the 30 gallon type and when you get your tank fixed I think you could resell pretty easy.

Default Just a thought

You may want to give some concideration to the fact that plastic gas cans can cause an explosion by storing up static and discharging it while you are filling up the tank. If you use plastic gas tanks make sure you take them out of the boat and place them on the ground to fill them. This is not a guess but a fact. This is why you should NEVER fill a plastic gas can while it is in the bed of a pickup. Just a thought, I would hate to see anyone get hurt of burn their hard earned boat!

You might check the ones they have in stock at Trailer Craft. I think they are actually water tanks, but wouldn't they work?

Default Plastic Boat Tanks

Thanks for the information. My old boat used to have below deck plastic tanks and I never worried about static electricity when filling them. I live in Valdez and my has lived in the harbor during the summer. Should I be concerned about static electricity when my boat is in the water??

Is there a difference between water tanks and fuel tanks? This is just going the be a tenperary fix until I repower my boast in the fall. At that point when I pull my motor out I will remove the aluminum tank that has leaked.

Thanks again for all the input, it is appreciated!

Default in the water

I don't think there would be a static build up problem if your boat is in the water because I believe it would be essentially grounded and should pretty much bring the potential to zero. When your boat is on the trailer and not truely grounded is when I would worry. Again this is just something I would think about. I know every winter I hear of or read about a plastic gas can explosion from static electricity buildup because they filled it in the bed of their truck or on a trailer, but I haven't actually heard of a snowmachine being filled on a trailing causing the same problem but I think it can still happen. There may be others out there that have more grounding knowledge than myself. In the oilfield it is against all safety precautions to drain any hydrocarbon liquids into anything plastic for the reason of potential for static discharge.

If your worred about static electricity, you could add a ground wire or plate to remove the static charge from the plastic tanks.

Default Plastic Tanks

All tanks can create a static charge when filling not just plastic tanks. Plastic takes are made for permantely mounted tanks in a variety if sizes and styles. All tanks that you intend to fill on board should be grounded. Putting a temporary tank in the fish hold is a good ideal for the short term, just make sure you ground the tank.

I didn't mean to get off the subject of you finding a suitable gas tank. Here is a website from Chevron that tells about static discharge on all containers. http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...t_safety.shtml