Thread: Kifaru stoves?

anchorage, alaska

Default Kifaru stoves?

For those of you that own a kifaru stove. Does it burn little holes in your tent or tarp? I have the mega tarp and am contemplating getting the add on vestibule with the stove. Do you think this is a good option?

Anchorage, AK

I have a kifaru 8 man tipi and don't see any holes from the stove. Just use a spark arrestor and it should be fine. I can not say that the stove is always used, especially if we have a good camp fire and not hunting in the north. It's great, when you get it going and have prepared the right size firewood. On most mornings and evenings I just fire up a small propane stove inside the tipi and that's enough to warm up the tent and it does so much faster than the kifaru wood stove. If you need to stay warm longer, then light weight wood stove is the answer.
    Good luck

My only experience with the Kifaru stove is with a black diamond mega mid tent. I'd thought it would be an inexpensive way to have a heated tipi type shelter. Here's my thoughts on a small heated tipi system:

You really need at least a 6 man but better yet an 8 man tipi. With a 4 man or smaller tent you're either too close to the stove or leaning against cold tent walls. With a 4 man enclosure you have to stay lying down or sitting on the ground and it's still very cramped. With the smaller tents it's easy to get the tent so hot that the walls slump, and at that point you risk melting your tent or stove jack with the hot flue of the stove.

Pin-hole burns are an issue depending on what you are burning and what type of spark arrestor you use, if you use one. I highly recomend adding a ti-goat damper to the Kifaru stove as it'll increase burn time and increase heat output. Throttling back the damper acts is a mini heat exchanger and improves the heat transfer from the bottom foot or two of flue vs. having most of the heat go up the flue. The stove has to be constantly fed, and you have to spend the time gathering fuel. It's a great feather weight system for drying out in situations where you simply can't stay dry and for taking off the morning and evening chill. But it certainly does have it's limitations.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.