Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check your guides

Default Check your guides

I was goofing around in the garage "air" jigging last night with some new jigs and noticed something strange on my trevala.

I'd thought I was fairly attentive to my gear and can't believe I'd run the line through the guides and not noticed the one next to the tip was missing it's insert. Much better to catch it now than discover it on the water.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I agree. I found one missing on a salmon rod the other day. Where is a good place to get it repaired?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Tackle repair center in Anchorage http://www.tacklerepaircenter.com/index.html

I had a bad guide on one of my Seeker rods and took it in to tackle repair last spring. They had it fixed in a couple of days for $15 and unless I told you which guide it was you'd never notice it had been replaced. I woulda spent that much tracking down the guide and having it shipped to me. Also my bottom fishing rods can take some serious stress so I wanted to make sure I had a factory quality repair with the proper thread and numbers of wrapping. Nice thing is they're walking distance from my office. (Just got back from dropping my rod off, he's heading out of town for a week so give him a ring before heading over to make sure he's open.)

A good suggestion I read in Fish Alaska is to take a q-tip and run it around every guide. If you have a chip in ceramic insert it'll snag the q-tip and you'll find it.

Mountain View sports has a pretty good selection of guides for salmon rods if you want a DIY repair, I've replaced a few in the past.
    Last edited by Paul H; 02-06-2013 at 12:35.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Thanks for the info. I'll give him a shout in a week or so.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll give him a shout in a week or so.
    Stop by some day i'll show ya how to do it yourself, all ya need is a mousetrap to tension the thread. I'm no expert but i started building rods when i was 14.
    Asbury spriped bass cropped.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

A fly tying bobbin works fine, and you can make a cradle out of a couple pieces of wood or even a card board box. I've replaced several guides on salmon rods and built a few fly rods.

But my bottom fishing rods take alot more stress than a salmon rod and I didn't want to underestimate the size of thread and qty of wraps. If a guide is going to cost me $10, I'm happy to pay $15 to have it done professionally.

Take it back to where you got it they will give you a new rod. Every one I had any trouble with when I was chartering got replaced no charge!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I was goofing around in the garage "air" jigging last night with some new jigs and noticed something strange on my trevala.

I'd thought I was fairly attentive to my gear and can't believe I'd run the line through the guides and not noticed the one next to the tip was missing it's insert. Much better to catch it now than discover it on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Take it back to where you got it they will give you a new rod. Every one I had any trouble with when I was chartering got replaced no charge!
    Exactly...I would.

The guides and reel seat are the main reason I do not fish Trevalla rods anymore...plastic parts in a jigging rod is silly IMO. The blanks are incredible but the sum of the rods parts leave me wondering. I've seen quite a few ejected guide inserts on those rods as well as cracked reel seats. The Terez at least has aluminum in the reel seat. Probably 9 out of 10 times a reel seat is damaged by over tensioning the the seat clamp combined with too much drag for the rod weight...creates a stress point under the reel seat. I don`t recall the name of the inserts on the Trevalla but it is something other than ceramic...Alconite maybe?? I am fond of Zirconium insert guides or similar....have yet to have a failure on my Okuma rods.

Great topic Paul...sometimes these things are overlooked til it's too late. I for one appreciate the reminder to inspect some of that stuff up close.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Tackle repair work is great an fast in this time of year

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    the rod an reel repair shop has been around for a few years an his work is great , he has moved from Artic an International down Antic a couple of blocks an in the back of the busness park [ way in the back ] north of where he was ,
    Do beware that they have a certain amount of reel knowledge and that can be a problem. I asked them to replace drag washers on one of my Fin Nors and they didn't seem to know they made conventional reels and offered to put Penn drag washers in there for me....no business from me!!! Got off my lazy ass and took care of it myself. Can't vouch for rod work from them however, the last time (years ago) that they rebuilt a 6/0 Penn it worked fine.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Great tip on checking the ceramics, Paul, also on running the q-tip to find fine cracks. I quit using guides with inserts for the very reason that they often fail...but so can all metal, stainless or carbide, sometime the tiny welds let loose. So we better check ALL our guides...

Another thing I noticed on your photo is the bead before the terminal tackle, a great thing to do to prevent damage to the tip guide, especially if it is ceramic.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Exactly...I would.

The guides and reel seat are the main reason I do not fish Trevalla rods anymore...plastic parts in a jigging rod is silly IMO. The blanks are incredible but the sum of the rods parts leave me wondering. I've seen quite a few ejected guide inserts on those rods as well as cracked reel seats. The Terez at least has aluminum in the reel seat. Probably 9 out of 10 times a reel seat is damaged by over tensioning the the seat clamp combined with too much drag for the rod weight...creates a stress point under the reel seat. I don`t recall the name of the inserts on the Trevalla but it is something other than ceramic...Alconite maybe?? I am fond of Zirconium insert guides or similar....have yet to have a failure on my Okuma rods.

Great topic Paul...sometimes these things are overlooked til it's too late. I for one appreciate the reminder to inspect some of that stuff up close.
    The plastic reel seat doesn't concern me as my avets have rod clamps to keep them secure. So perhaps the lighter graphite seat is an advantage over say an aluminum Alps seat as the reel clamp does the reel work

I'd never a reason to doubt the guides until now. Then again I thought the guides Seeker uses are great but I've had an insert pop out of them. I'd chock this one up to either the rod getting bounced around in transport, or the fact I've taken some inexperienced people on my boat that have no clue as to the expense of fishing gear nor being careful with it. I'm honestly amazed I haven't had a broken rod given the ss handrails on my fishing deck, but I'd rather suffer a broken rod than a man or woman overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Great tip on checking the ceramics, Paul, also on running the q-tip to find fine cracks. I quit using guides with inserts for the very reason that they often fail...but so can all metal, stainless or carbide, sometime the tiny welds let loose. So we better check ALL our guides...

Another thing I noticed on your photo is the bead before the terminal tackle, a great thing to do to prevent damage to the tip guide, especially if it is ceramic.
    Don't recall if it was Tom or Fonz at B&J but they deserve credit for suggesting the bead to save your tip. I'm usually pretty carefel reeling up, but not everyone I take fishing gives a thought as to how to treat the gear. So keeping a box or two of beads on board with spare corkscrew swivels is highly recomended. Most rods are good with 8mm beads but the trevala tips need a 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

reported!
    All I'm doing is trying to find out where a person can go and purchase rods that if they have a guide ring pop out you can go and bring it back and get a brand new rod. I think that would be very helpful for all the people here that have had guide rings pop out and are wondering how to deal with it which is exactly what this thread is about and would be a wonderful option for anyone here to have. Apparently you don't think so. I know I sure would like to know. I've always just replaced mine myself, which is very easy to do, but if I can get a whole brand new rod I'd certainly prefer to do that. Thus my question to MGH55 who indicated anyone can go and do just that. I just want to know where.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    All I'm doing is trying to find out where a person can go and purchase rods that if they have a guide ring pop out you can go and bring it back and get a brand new rod. I think that would be very helpful for all the people here that have had guide rings pop out and are wondering how to deal with it which is exactly what this thread is about and would be a wonderful option for anyone here to have. Apparently you don't think so. I know I sure would like to know. I've always just replaced mine myself, which is very easy to do, but if I can get a whole brand new rod I'd certainly prefer to do that. Thus my question to MGH55 who indicated anyone can go and do just that. I just want to know where.
    The brand of rod (and associated warranty), and the relationship the store has with the rod vendor/rep is what will determine the ability to do this.

For example, B&J's, sold me a particular rod often discussed here on the forums. A 120lb fish that didn't appreciate being short stroked by a harpoon, shot horizontal (stern to bow)under the boat and snapped the rod between eye 3 and 4 (similar to a "high stick" break) before the drag could be released. Walked in with two pieces, walked out with a new rod. No questions asked.

DISCLAIMER!!! No this rod breaking example is NOT a guide ring pop out example, but it still applies! (For those who need to be advised that I am aware I'm describing a situation that is a bit off topic from the OP)

FYI Muttley, I looked up the brand of rod that was replaced with no questions asked...and their warranty like many others don't cover commercial use rods.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

If a person has a very good working relationship with any supplier, and is not condescending, nor presents them self as pompous. A vendor will most of the time go out of thier way to make the customer happy. I have had rods replaced at Ulmers here in town, and at True Value in Soldotna. It also has to do with using only top quality equipment. When you walk into a store and drop over $4000 for without trying to beat them up on thier pricing you get treated well. If fact that is how I got Shamino to work so well with me. It was nice to send them a reel to change out a broken part and have a new reel show up at no charge. Some my call it people skills
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    It IS simplistic and it's input that probably won't help anyone.

So where do you purchase rods that will allow you to take them back and get a whole new rod just because a guide ring popped out? I'm sure THAT would be helpful information.

Well I personally am checking those guides and inserts very often.....More so if they are ceramic. The problem lies in if one of those ceramics is hair line fractured it will nic your line as you drop it down. Then you break off one...two...three times before you put it together witch not only cost of replacing the guide, but replacing the line that was run through guide , depending on what type of line your run could be more than $100 to replace. lets not forget the $40 in tackle you left at the bottom learning this lesson. Noted as one who has sold thousands of fishing poles: Most rods get damaged in transportation and storage in the off season then break went bent. Also depends on the manufacture weather or not it gets replaced in store....some manufacturers will have you to send the rod in so they can make a decision instead of store employees....tip of the day.....never grab your pole above the cork when its bent and watch the high sticking!

I'm not sure if it's possible to salvage this thread at this point, but Paul brought up some good information and I sure would like to try to do so. Regarding the distraction that caused this thread to go sideways, I assure you it is being addressed.

Carry on...(and please refrain from revisiting that which led things astray for the time being.)

Thanks, Brian. On the ceramic inserts, I think they started being used because of the increasing use of braid, which can actually wear a groove in a metal guide? If so, wondering if we should all just go back to metal guides and just replace them when needed, if ceramics are cracking and damaging line, or plain falling out. In the 60's, they started having tungsten carbide guide inserts...same purpose as ceramic, anyone ever see them around anymore?

how about roller guides ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast