Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to hunt a new area.

Default Looking to hunt a new area.

Ok I know this is sometimes a sticky subject so I will try to word it as best I can so to keep it legal.
    I would like to hunt a new area this next season I live on the peninsula and would like to maybe hunt around portage or up in the valley,or anywhere within a few hours drive. Somewhere just for some different scenery, Minto flats sounds like fun too I hear good things about that place, and who does not like to try new spots. If someone would be kind enough to invite me along next season I would be greatful for it. I like to hunt out of Homer for sea ducks the action is usually pretty good for scooters, harlequin,and golden eyes. I would be happy to invite someone along for a hunt there. I am in good shape and have no problem helping with expenses. I don't want to break any laws just want to extend an invite to fellow forum members.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I've been thinking along the same lines, and co-ordinatung a hunt with interested AWA members as a annuel club hunt. What I am thinking is that along about the 2nd or 3rd weekend of the season we plan a hunt to a area that most of us have not or do not hunt often. Places like the Chickaloon flats, Minto flats, Tetlin or any one of a number of large areas with good hunting here in the state. Those without boats could come along and ride with the guys with boats. We could all camp together in one central area, but spread way out to hunt in these large areas. Have to limit it to a 3 day hunt due to bag limits. Might be fun and we could all learn from those familuar with these area, and we would plan this for a different area each year. What do people think of this. Bud
    Wasilla

you talking spring bear hunt here? or are you thinking further ahead to the regular hunting season moose, caribou and that sort

Well I'll be danged! I had no idea bears would come to decoys. Seeing one flare must be a sight...
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_pike View Post
    you talking spring bear hunt here? or are you thinking further ahead to the regular hunting season moose, caribou and that sort
    Well, actually, since this is the waterfowl forum, I was thinking more in the way of duck hunting. Bud
    Wasilla

Cordova is fun. PM for details

I'm liking the idea of a big get together.. Could be fun in a big area so we were not shooting on top of each other if we could get a bbq or two and everyone bring something for a big feast one night that would be an idea too. It would be like a big wild game feed while hunting.

Im game...got boat, decoys, gun and will travel.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Well I'll be danged! I had no idea bears would come to decoys. Seeing one flare must be a sight...
    Now that's funny!!!

Bud, sound like a great idea.

Delta has some good places for birds in the fall. Plenty of room for you and lots of buddies. You'll probably have to provide a bottle/case fee to use their blind though

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Well, actually, since this is the waterfowl forum, I was thinking more in the way of duck hunting. Bud
    sounds good im in

I would be game to take a couple people out on Palmer hay flats for some sea duck hunting! I have a small boat though! Is the awa site back up I tried joining a while back and the sight was down any other info on joining would be great thanks

I'm in Bud, sounds like a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryl View Post
    I would be game to take a couple people out on Palmer hay flats for some sea duck hunting! I have a small boat though! Is the awa site back up I tried joining a while back and the sight was down any other info on joining would be great thanks
    Sea Ducks on the hayflats? I've hunted out there for a quite a while and only shot one harlequin hen. Are you seeing a lot of them somewhere out there?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Duckslayer56 Haha I didn't word that right I ment to say I would take someone duck hunting on the hay flats if they took me sea duck hunting... I wish there were sea ducks out there. I didn't get to hunt last year due to the construction season working 7/14s. Only sea ducks I've seen out there are mergansers.

Oh, lol, I thought something was a little off there. I've been hunting on the flats for several years and only shot that one harli. We get goldeneyes too, some guys consider them sea ducks, but they are divers to me, and actually mergansers, goldeneyes, and bufflehead are all in the same family. Even if nobody takes you up on your offer you can get in touch with Buck Brown in Seldovia, he runs a good sea duck guiding operation down there, and can put you on any species of bird you want minus the riders (very rare this far north). Sea ducks are special, and I guarantee you will want to go back as often as you can. Buck's rates are really good too.

Took a couple whitewing scooters on dl a few years ago..They must of been lost
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Roger that duckslayer56 I've shot alot of different species out there. I have a buddy his wife's from saldovia and has a couple boats out there but getting him to commit will be the problem! I just hate paying for something I have access to with that being said I'm sure I will find someone that's headed that way (to the ocean) haha I realy want a drake king eider and Harlequin. I am thinking of taking some decoys to afognak and if I can tag out early maybe I can get some sea ducks to come in???? That's still in the air though.
    But IF all else fails I now know who I can call haha thanks

A king Eider is a tall order around here. I guess they get a few in Kodiak, but they are pretty rare down there. If you got the money they offer a guided hunt on St. Paul for Kings....very expensive though, I think it's about $4,500 for a week of hunting. Harlequins are pretty common though, you shouldn't have any problem on getting one. You don't even need to go all the way down to Seldovia, just launch out of whittier and you will find a few.

Harlies are easy to get just go out to the salt water and look along the shore they will be just off the beach. They really like rocky shorelines but I have seen them on the sandy ones too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast