Thread: stock stripper

Default stock stripper

I have an old weatherby mark 5 with the blinding shiny finish, want to strip it off and finish with a satin oil. any ideas on the best stripper and best oil for this?

i can't remember the name of the stripper i used on the last wby. i refinished but i bought it in home depo. paint it on wait 5 mins. scrape it off with a 6" knife. careful around the checkering, then sand with garnet paper 80 120 180 220 280.
    i use tru-oil, put it on with your fingers, rub it in with the palm of your hand. for the checkering i mix it 50-50 with turpentine, and apply it with a toothbrush. you can apply as many coats on the stock as you like. sand with wet and dry paper #400 between coats.the checkering takes 2-3 coats.
    when it is the way you like it use fine polishing compound to smooth it all together.

Many of the chemical strippers will take time to work on the heavy polyurethane finishes such as the Weatherby. Be patient. Avoid sandpaper. There is no need to remove wood. Just use the stripper and wash it off like the directions say, then let the stock dry. Then apply your finish according to the directions. Sanding the stock will tend to round the crisp edges and make it look like a bar of soap.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

as long as you sand with the grain and use a sanding block you will be fine

Very fine steel wool worked on my stock. I did't realize how nice the stock was until I got the old finish off.

Just buy a replacement stock.

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    Just buy a replacement stock.
    Oh!!!......why on Earth didn't he think of that...???!!!

I'm sure if he wanted one he wouldn't have asked about refinishing the stock he already has.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!