Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wabasco, Espar or Wallas. Looking for cabin heater for 28 footer.

Default Wabasco, Espar or Wallas. Looking for cabin heater for 28 footer.

I know there have been a number of threads and postings pertaining to this topic. Going back a couple of years worth of threads, there have been quite a few that have changed the heat source on their boat, for one reason or another. I will be putting an additional source of heat on our boat before this coming season begins. Espar seems to have the reliability part down pat, but is reportedly noisier than the Wallas. Wallas seems to be quieter but not as reliable? Haven't heard much about the Wabasco other than the military uses them extensively, must have some credibilty? Would appreciate visiting this subject once again and hearing how some of those changes have worked out, one brand to another.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away."

Haven't changed mine and I won't, Espar D5. Only issue I have with it is sometimes in the middle of the night running off of a single battery it will draw the voltage down below 11v and it will kick itself off. Ton of heat and not noisy in my opinion.

I have an ESPAR D4 in my Aluminum 26'. Yes it's louder than my buddies Wallas, but I think it's all where ya mount it too. But the heat output is more than double of what his is. Maybe his is a smaller model or something, but have never been impressed with it and it's a maintenance hog. I've had no problems with mine. I run mine at night with one battery and I've never had it shut down but I usually keep in turned down on low at night. Good luck in your search.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    I have an ESPAR D4 in my Aluminum 26'. Yes it's louder than my buddies Wallas, but I think it's all where ya mount it too. But the heat output is more than double of what his is. Maybe his is a smaller model or something, but have never been impressed with it and it's a maintenance hog. I've had no problems with mine. I run mine at night with one battery and I've never had it shut down but I usually keep in turned down on low at night. Good luck in your search.

I agree with about the wallas heaters (of old) being maintenance hogs. I had a wallas 1300 in my old hewes and it was extremely fickle. I have an ESPAR D4 and could not be happier. The quiet tick of the fuel pump, and subtle spooling up of the fan lulls me and my crew to sleep. The Webasto is a very similar looking beast and people that have them say they perform excellent and are very dependable. I have heard that the Wallas heaters have been re-engineered and the problems have been fixed. They draw more power on start up and less once up and running than the ESPARS. I have a Wallas stove as well as a Wallas oven and have had problems getting them to fire up. Wallas products re very voltage sensitive, historically.

I am a huge advocate of have enough house battery. Once your battery hits 11.9 volts it has discharge 100%. If your battery bank drops below 12.2 volts over night, you might consider more amp hours. Here is a handy chart:

State of Charge Specific Gravity Voltage
    12V 6V
    100% 1.265 12.7 6.3
    75% 1.225 12.4 6.2
    50% 1.190 12.2 6.1
    25% 1.155 12.0 6.0
    Discharged 1.120 11.9 6.0
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

This subject came up in the Prop Swap note below so probably got missed by some due to the thread title so I've repeated what I said there in case you missed it:

OK, iI just back from the Seattle boat show and can report that Advanced Diesel here in town beats Boat Electric by a good bit. They had a "boat show special" price of $3100 for the D4 with marine kit which probably has stuff you won't use. I just bought the D4 here from Advanced Diesel for $1950 less ducting and mufflers, registers, y's, etc you may or may not need - and I'm pretty sure I won't need over $1k of ducting! Travis will set you up and makes sure you have the wiring harness hook ups correctly listed, which he corrected in my install manual so they're your best bet if you're in the market for an Espar. I also looked at the Wallas 30 Dt while down there and it looked to be a good unit at $2609 from Scan Marine for a complete kit but the exhaust comes out the top rather than the bottom which is a problem for where I have to install this thing. It draws less juice for the battery challenged like I am so may work better for you.

Wallace heaters are expensive junk, At least once a year they need to be pulled and worked on.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Espar D4 going strong after 2 winters in my 34 Roamer, running off the mains fuel tank #2 diesel, no issues what so ever. My seasport doesnt have an Espar and we will be putting another one in that boat.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

the none marine Espar's, what is the difference between them? you can get a D2 for $980 with the kit, or $800 without.

[CENTER]

new espar eberspacher airtronic d2 air bunk diesel heater for semi truck boat . fast shipping.

this is complete kit included everything what you need to install it. All parts are new and original.
    kit included: 1-heater airtronic d2
    2-harness
    3-heater hose 60mm -5 ft
    4-exhaust flex pipe-30 inch
    5-fuel pick up line w adapter-30 inch
    6-digital climate control
    7-fuel pump
    8-fuel lines two different kind 10 ft each
    9-heater plate
    10- air outlet 60 mm
    11-manual not included but you can print on line
    13-priority free shipping

What you need for the Espar marine installation are the condensate exhaust drip fitting and the through hull exhaust fitting at the minimum. This is what Advanced Diesel will put together with the riverboat kit they sell. What the marine kits also include are ducting, outlets, and mufflers on the intake and exhaust. The kit above looks like you'll be getting extra fuel line and ducting as well as the marine exhaust fittings and fuel pickup tube likely won't work with minimal overhead space, you'll need the 90 el pickup tube which you'll get with a marine or riverboat kit. I may have missed something else but heaters themselves are the same as the truck version.

Oh, yeah, the truck wiring harness is pretty short, only 6' I think. The one you get for marine use is 15-20', more suitable for typical boat installations. Looking at the harness, I'd hate to have to splice it or make a longer run for some of the control wiring.

I just bought a D4 riverboat kit from Advanced Diesel, looking forward to installing it next week hopefully. I talked to many dealers over the course of the year and decided this was the best deal. This kit is most of the stuff you need to install minus ducting and exhaust pipe.

The Marine kit from Boat Electric has whole bunches of stuff you would not need for your average install. If I remember correctly it has 10 ft of exhaust pipe, 30 ft of ducting, multiple outlets, mufflers, and the list goes one. The woman at boat electric tried to talk to me out of buying that kit.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

JR2, I'd love to see your install for ideas on how to change mine up some. If ya need any help let me know.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    JR2, I'd love to see your install for ideas on how to change mine up some. If ya need any help let me know.

Rob
    The boat is over in the back lot of the storage bin, swing on by, I will be laying on my back with my body stuffed in the hole where the fridge goes starting Monday afternoon if all goes as planned.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sounds good.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

this snow is going to slow me down a bit... probably Tuesday for me to start now.

Quote Originally Posted by greg01alaska View Post
    I know there have been a number of threads and postings pertaining to this topic. Going back a couple of years worth of threads, there have been quite a few that have changed the heat source on their boat, for one reason or another. I will be putting an additional source of heat on our boat before this coming season begins. Espar seems to have the reliability part down pat, but is reportedly noisier than the Wallas. Wallas seems to be quieter but not as reliable? Haven't heard much about the Wabasco other than the military uses them extensively, must have some credibilty? Would appreciate visiting this subject once again and hearing how some of those changes have worked out, one brand to another.
    Greg

One of the slickest heaters I've ever seen in a 2859 is the Wallas stove replacement. I had one in my last 2859 and loved it. The unit put out enough heat for Alaska summer evenings, but honestly it was limited to summer use because it didn't blow heat into the pilothouse.

I've installed two hydronic Espars in 2859's. One went in the galley closet and had a heat exchanger under the steps, replacing the engine driven heater that generally goes there.

The other install was in the midberth closet. In my opinion that was a better install location, as the midberth closet is sorta useless anyway. For that one I used a heat exchanger underneath the dinet, and another heat exchanger underneath the pilothouse seat. That heat exchanger was visible from the midberth up on the shelf. I liked hydronic because I could get up in the AM and have a shower.

The challenge is with the 2859 you cannot mount the furnace in the engine compartment being a gas engine boat. Another challenge is getting the exhaust up high and out of where a wave could wash over it.

I've seen 2859's with air heaters mounted in the midberth foot storage as well. That seems like a good spot but I was concerned about the exhaust hose routing. The midberth foot area is nice for heater duct routing though.

I've found the Espar units to be very reliable, but noise is an issue with them. If you are noise sensitive that can be a problem. It never bothered me, but it did bother the admrial.

On our last boat we went with the new Wallas furnaces. They were reliable for our first season, and time will tell how they hold up. The trick with any of these units is to service them before they fail, every 2 or 3 seasons. Thats hard to remember to do, so most people wait till they fail then get them worked on.

Thanks Kevin, Points taken, installation has been a mental challenge. I will not take delivery of the boat until the first weekend in May when we pick the boat up in Haines. So I appreciate your thoughts, based upon your experience, with the 2859. I really haven't had the opportunity to completely explore the boat without someone standing over me and watching what I am doing. Installation options, are totally open, and any helpful hints are welcome.
    I purchased, today, from Advanced Diesel an Espar 4D and will have it setting in the garage for several weeks before the boat arrives.

I have read your posts on other threads about the Wallas heaters and based on those posts almost purchased their 3000DT. If there had been more folks on the forum who had similar experience with the Wallas, it would be on order. However, the Espar had more fans. Combined with the road travel this boat will endure, between Valdez and North Pole, it became apparent that the Espar would have a more enduring relationship with the "Fair Catch."

I would be most thankful and extend an open invitation to all installations by yourself, and other members of this forum, on their installation photos. A picture is worth, well, close to a thousand dollars, er, words
    Thanks Kevin, for your thoughtful words and your experience with this particular boat. I know you have upgraded to a different level of Bayliner, and have sincerely enjoyed your posts from the trip up thru the inside passage. Any advice you might have concerning this 2859, please feel free to PM me.

Greg
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away."

Quote Originally Posted by greg01alaska View Post
    Thanks Kevin, Points taken, installation has been a mental challenge. I will not take delivery of the boat until the first weekend in May when we pick the boat up in Haines. So I appreciate your thoughts, based upon your experience, with the 2859. I really haven't had the opportunity to completely explore the boat without someone standing over me and watching what I am doing. Installation options, are totally open, and any helpful hints are welcome.
    I purchased, today, from Advanced Diesel an Espar 4D and will have it setting in the garage for several weeks before the boat arrives.

I have read your posts on other threads about the Wallas heaters and based on those posts almost purchased their 3000DT. If there had been more folks on the forum who had similar experience with the Wallas, it would be on order. However, the Espar had more fans. Combined with the road travel this boat will endure, between Valdez and North Pole, it became apparent that the Espar would have a more enduring relationship with the "Fair Catch."

I would be most thankful and extend an open invitation to all installations by yourself, and other members of this forum, on their installation photos. A picture is worth, well, close to a thousand dollars, er, words
    Thanks Kevin, for your thoughtful words and your experience with this particular boat. I know you have upgraded to a different level of Bayliner, and have sincerely enjoyed your posts from the trip up thru the inside passage. Any advice you might have concerning this 2859, please feel free to PM me.

Greg
    I have to be honest, I went with the Wallas because of the noise, and because with my experienace with SCAN marine in Seattle when they serviced my stove. The biggest though reason does not apply to your installation. The Espar units run very clean on #1 diesel. When you fuel them with #2 diesel they coke up at least once and sometimes more than once a season. That makes them less suitable for installations where you tie them in to the main tanks on a boat. The Wallas promised (and time will tell if its true) to be suitable for #2 diesel.

Back to your installation...

A buddy put his Espar airtronic in the area at the foot of the mid berth. If you look at that area it is divided in two. On the left is a panel held in by screws. On the right is a large area that has a vinyl snap on cover over it.

Behind the screw panel is the macerator. With jist a few screws you can dissassemble the storage area on the right. That leaves a large area to install such things as a inverter, furnace, etc.. From that area you can look up and see the area behind the throttle levers so access to that area and behind the helm is easy. Access from there to the engine compartment is as easy as drilling a hole through the engine room bulkhead.

Best of luck, and as you get closer please feel free to keep in touch. There are lots of great things you can do with the 2859 to make it especially suited to our waters. They are a great boat.

Default Espar airtronic install

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I just bought a D4 riverboat kit from Advanced Diesel, looking forward to installing it next week hopefully. I talked to many dealers over the course of the year and decided this was the best deal. This kit is most of the stuff you need to install minus ducting and exhaust pipe.

The Marine kit from Boat Electric has whole bunches of stuff you would not need for your average install. If I remember correctly it has 10 ft of exhaust pipe, 30 ft of ducting, multiple outlets, mufflers, and the list goes one. The woman at boat electric tried to talk to me out of buying that kit.
    Hey JR2 or other espar users. I wanted to see some pics of the airtronic units installed. If anyone is willing to share I'd appreciate it.

Im going to install the D4 on my kingfisher 2825 the wallas stove with blower just isnt enough in the late fall and early spring. Im hoping to duct heat for defrost and pipe some towards the feet too. Any advice?

Thanks

Take a look here
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/....php?p=1271602

If you want to look at my install in person shoot me a PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast