Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot for Kodiak Spring hunt

Default Boot for Kodiak Spring hunt

I'm supposed to be going on a Bear hunt in Kiluda Bay on Kodiak this Spring. Can anybody recommend a boot. Also just curious what others have used.

Thanks Much

Kenetreck 400, Meindi..plenty of styles and makers out there...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

lacrosse anklefit hip boot with airbobsoles

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    lacrosse anklefit hip boot with airbobsoles
    What he said, insulated version worked for me, wore everyday.

Get a pair of Sourdough Slippers from Barney's to go over your hiking boots. http://barneyssports.com/footwear/ov...e-green-m.html

are you boat hunting,guided(if so what does your guide reccomend for your area) when I guide on Kodiak its lacrosse hippers all the way.... the idea of stopping at creeks to put on over shoes is just not feasable when chasing a bear when seconds could make the difference between harvest and a close one... if your not one to wear hippers the just a good broken in comfortable waterproof boot and a pair of gaitors to keep the brush out..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    are you boat hunting,guided(if so what does your guide reccomend for your area) when I guide on Kodiak its lacrosse hippers all the way.... the idea of stopping at creeks to put on over shoes is just not feasable when chasing a bear when seconds could make the difference between harvest and a close one... if your not one to wear hippers the just a good broken in comfortable waterproof boot and a pair of gaitors to keep the brush out..
    LOL... If I could afford a guide I'd definitely ask him. I appreciate the input. I plan to set up camp off the beach and will have a zodiac to help move around. I was just worried about walking long distance or up hillsides in hip boots.

Hippers are definitely the most popular however, I have a few friends that like to use Koflachs with Glacier socks and swear by them even for bear hunting on Kodiak. I am in the same boat as you I drew Alliulik Peninsula Spring hunt and I cannot decided wether to go with my Lowa Sheep Hunters with OR gaiters/Sourdough slippers, Lacrosse hippers, or Koflachs with gaiters/glacier socks? Well I guess it is a good problem at least one way or we will be hunting in less than three months! Best of luck.

Depends on timing!! if lots of snow and snow shoe work the boot angle with gaiters is best. If later and soggy I have come to like quality waist length breathable waders and a good set of supportive hiking/hunting boots that are slightly oversized to accommodate the stocking foot of the wader. One draw back I have had is when temperatures dropped below freezing and putting frozen boots and waders on suck! Good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    Hippers are definitely the most popular however, I have a few friends that like to use Koflachs with Glacier socks and swear by them even for bear hunting on Kodiak. I am in the same boat as you I drew Alliulik Peninsula Spring hunt and I cannot decided wether to go with my Lowa Sheep Hunters with OR gaiters/Sourdough slippers, Lacrosse hippers, or Koflachs with gaiters/glacier socks? Well I guess it is a good problem at least one way or we will be hunting in less than three months! Best of luck.
    If you are used to koflach then IMHO there is nothing better but I try never to recommend them because not all are used to them or gonna buy them to try on a ear hunt... I've even wore mine duck hunting...

If you are used to koflach then IMHO there is nothing better but I try never to recommend them because not all are used to them or gonna buy them to try on a ear hunt... I've even wore mine duck hunting...
    Can not say that I am use to them but, I have committed to giving them a try this year after so many hunters that I respect telling me they are the way to go. I went on two sheep hunts last year and my buddy had them and I was very jealous at every stream crossing and on some steep down hills with a heavy pack. I have also been told that some believe that they enable you to pack more weight which would be a bonus! I bought them a week ago, I am wearing them right now, and I think I am going to give them a try on my spring hunt. Thanks for the input Bear...

+1 for Koflach boots with the glacier socks. I would add crampons and a trekking style ice axe. I roll my glacier socks down and secure them with my gaiters, which I also recommend. When needed to cross water just pull them up and go, once across the water roll them back down and continue on.
    Make sure to size them to fit while wearing the glacier socks.

Another thing for a spring hunt is some type of eye glasses. I have had 2 friends almost put their eyes out by having cane stalks jammed into their eyes. Both sustained eye damage, those things are hard and sharp and easy to poke you when coming back down.

If I could not afford new boots I would use Neos river trekkers, or Barneys sour dough slippers, they are the same thing. They can be packed and slip on over your hiking boot. A big bear hide is a load and IMHO hip boots are not the best for carrying that kind of weight down a slope.

Good Luck
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    I'm supposed to be going on a Bear hunt in Kiluda Bay on Kodiak this Spring. Can anybody recommend a boot. Also just curious what others have used.

Thanks Much
    Spent 6 weeks filming bear hunts last spring. Two of three hunts on Kodiak. I had Kanektrek MTN extreme 400 boots and Wiggys slip overs. Lighter than Barneys stuff but also more fragile but if weight is an issue or bulk. Add crampons, gators and walking sticks of your choosing. I'm thinking of trading in my fleece for more mountain like hiking gear. Tired of wet fleece. I would NEVER walk long distances in hip boots. Never. I have moose hunted in chest waders tho...
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    Can not say that I am use to them but, I have committed to giving them a try this year after so many hunters that I respect telling me they are the way to go. I went on two sheep hunts last year and my buddy had them and I was very jealous at every stream crossing and on some steep down hills with a heavy pack. I have also been told that some believe that they enable you to pack more weight which would be a bonus! I bought them a week ago, I am wearing them right now, and I think I am going to give them a try on my spring hunt. Thanks for the input Bear...

GD,

I did the same thing last year and really liked them. Bought the boots in early March and took them bear hunting on Kodiak to try them out. That is what I plan on doing now. Took regular boots and Neos for backup and never pulled them out.

Randy

Great, from your avatar looks like it was successful! Congrats... Three months and counting!

Those Koflach are looking pretty interesting. I've never had the courage to try them out. Can you use them for all types of hunting environments?

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Those Koflach are looking pretty interesting. I've never had the courage to try them out. Can you use them for all types of hunting environments?
    I be used mine everywhere from the arctic on a caribou hunt to moose hunting to guiding a Pa elk hunt.... The only hunting boot besides a wader I own...

They can take a bit of getting used to but the Koflach are a softer shell compared to some so they are a bit easier on the shins. The bennies of not rolling ankles on tussocks or having good footing crossing streams to a light weight hipper in that wet low brush just make them worth it to me. Most of the guides I work with also hunt everything in them

I too have been koflach bound for many moons now for sheep, goat, caribou and moose but will warn they perform best above tree line. On hunts were im expected to hike in for miles in the low lands via wheeler trails ill often wear an aproach shoe and stash them in the tree line and throw them back on for the hike out. The sole is rigded enough to make hard flat trails feel like walking on the moon. That being said....once you sidehill in these boots and pack some serious lbs. in them youll fall in love with them. Also note that they dont fit evryone....some people experince a pinching action in the top of the foot. And they strap into snowshoes real nice and quick like. there is probably a better boot to do just a bear hunt in but if you find you self hunting the high country often....they are worth trying on.

I be used mine everywhere from the arctic on a caribou hunt to moose hunting to guiding a Pa elk hunt.... The only hunting boot besides a wader I own...

They can take a bit of getting used to but the Koflach are a softer shell compared to some so they are a bit easier on the shins. The bennies of not rolling ankles on tussocks or having good footing crossing streams to a light weight hipper in that wet low brush just make them worth it to me. Most of the guides I work with also hunt everything in them
    TKS Bear...I think I'll look into these a bit more. I've been lucky so far but have come close to rolling ankles in a very remote situation. I noticed my current Kenetreks become sloppy with a weighted pack. Perhaps they've stretched a bit in the last few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    TKS Bear...I think I'll look into these a bit more. I've been lucky so far but have come close to rolling ankles in a very remote situation. I noticed my current Kenetreks become sloppy with a weighted pack. Perhaps they've stretched a bit in the last few seasons.

That is the very reason I got rid of my Kenetreks, they stretched when they got wet and blistered my feet to the point I had to quit. Only time I have ever give up on a hunt, my feet were raw. When water is not in the equation, I love my Lowas. But it is so nice to have boots that can be hiked in and still have dry feet during repeated water crossings. Kolachs dig in and give you unreal stability in the nasty stuff. Also my toes don't get beat up as bad either when I kick rocks on walks in and out.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast