Thread: lowa tibets-what to do?

Default lowa tibets-what to do?

I just bought a pair of lowa tibets for a decent price online and have worn them a little (~10 miles) and trying to decide if I should keep them or look elsewhere. The boots are solid and comfortable but they are a little tight in the forefoot and slip a little in the heel. This is pretty common for me with any boot but I'm worried that they won't stretch up front. The right foot feels better than the left which gives me hope that I don't need much give. I've tried some different lacing techniques, including not starting until the 3rd set, and that has helped a tiny bit. For those of you with tibets or similar boots, do you think the boots will break in or stretch at all? What boot should I try next?

Boot Country on Old Seward can stretch the toe box for you. I had them do that to my Tibets and it made a huge difference.

This is just my experience with boots, worth what you are paying for it. The only time I ever quit on a hunt was because of a poor fitting pair of boots that tore my feet up.

I have the same boots and have good luck with mine. A couple things that have worked for me in the past. Soak the boots in hot water until the leather gets soft and walk them dry. If they still don't fit after that I would probably think about getting a different pair.

I also find that it takes about 100 miles to really get them broke in before would sheep hunt in any pair of boots.

You could also try replacing the insoles with a quality pair. I like Sole heat moldable ones, super feet low volume might work too. Since they are tight in the forefoot you could cut the front part off. Google this and you should find some references to doing this.

Another thing I have learned the hard way and lost 2 big toenails in the process is that your feet will swell during the day, especially after a lot of walking or packing. It is best to try boots on when your feet are not fresh if at all possible.

IHMO socks are as important as boots, to me darn toughs are hard to beat. Get a pair and try them out and see what you think.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I had boot country stretch my tibets and they were good to go. Great boots!

Boot Country stretched my Lowa Hunter's and they fit much better. Lowa makes quality boots.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I like Sole heat moldable ones, super feet low volume might work too.
    Steve,

Which model of Sole do you use?
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Like Stid said soak and walk dry. This is an old trick I use to use when I had a new pair of hockey skates that typically take for ever to break in and mold to a persons foot. I would get them soaked with hot water and put them on in the house and leave on until they were dry. Really helped and you could try. Boot Country has stretched boots for me as well and that is also an option.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    If there was ever a statement to make the point that everyones needs are going to be different with boots and packs, this is it. I have owned 6 or 7 pairs of Tibets and can put in a aftermarket insole and go hunting darn near out of the box. 100 miles, wow!

Did the OP try the wide model? They do make a wide, not sure if that is going to make the heel slip worse or not. I need wide up front as well.

I dont think it is worth soaking the boot and walking it dry either. Just my opinion. Try the wide or Brians suggestion of having them stretched, if you have and it doesnt work, try another boot. You could sell your current pair here. Of any boot posted the lightly used Lowas always seem to sell.
    Same here, I can hunt with Lowas right out of the box, I do replace the insoles first thing. Boots fit is a very individual thing and varies greatly person to person.

I don't know those boots but concerning the heel slip, you may have to put in some miles to get the midsection of the boot flexible enough to stop the heal slip.

I was getting very concerned about heal slip in my Kennetreks until I read on here that they recommend 50 miles break in on flat ground. Sure enough after about 40 miles or so the heal slip pretty much disappeared.

I'll second the importance of proper socks too!

thanks for the ideas everyone. I think getting boot country to stretch the toe box is what I need to do 1st. Just need to get them to anchorage. I'm sure wetting them to soften the leather would help but I was more worried about the rubber rand. Don't see how wetting them is going to stretch that and I think that is what keeping it too tight on the sides at the base of my toes. I have the green superfeet insoles in there now but might try the copper ones. I have a variety of socks but love the darn toughs too. The heal slip I can fix with thicker socks and lacing as long as it doesn't tighten the toe box. If I'm climbing a bunch in a day, I usually wrap my heel in duct tape to reduce any possible friction and that works great for any of my heel slippage issues. walked 4 miles in them yesterday and I think I have a keeper boot.

For those that can hunt with a brand new pair of boots, consider yourself lucky. I'll walk a bunch in my boots to work them in and get some exercise as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Steve,

Which model of Sole do you use?

Sole Ultra
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I just got a pair of Lowa Tibet Pro GTX boots about two weeks ago. They seem to be the best boots I've ever owned since the Asolo Yukons I bought in 1979 (I'm sure my parents thought I was crazy for spending $200 hard-earned dollars on hiking boots at age 17!). Those boots covered a LOT of awesome country over the years. Great support in the Lowas, but I'm going to give the SOLE custom footbeds a try - my arches have been beaten to pieces and the hard & high Superfeet arches feel like a rock under my arch - hopefully the heat fitting of the SOLE brand will provide the right balance of support and custom fit.