Thread: Kenai canyon ice?

Default Kenai canyon ice?

Looking to see if anyone has hiked through the canyon recently? Im looking to float my packraft through and hike out but have this crazy mental picture of ice bridges in the bottle necks. I have hiked it in the winter before and havent seen any bridges but every year is different. Any info is a big help. worst case ill hike it first.
    thanks
    Greg

Sorry Greg I'm not sure. But that does sound like an awesome trip.

Greg,
    I'd do a hike/scout mission first... and convince a buddy to go with you. High water fall flows could have lodged logs in tight places and create some low-water ice obstacles for you... Good luck, be safe!

Well looks like im going to pass on the canyon till later in the spring. Ive decided to walk into the middle and float down to bings. Throw in the spey and some big nasty leaches and make a day out of it.

Dude I can officially be a hater of Greg now! Could have said nah boys not worth the effort going to skip the thought knowing those Fairbanks people are frozen solid. But NO! You toss out the I am going to go anywho and fish BIG TROUT in middle of winter.

Ok I am sorry was really trying to say! Good Luck buddy hope you do well and be safe.

:-) RMM

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I recently saw some photos of rainbows caught on the kenai, apparently they had to get creative to get their driftboat to, and down, the river.

Moose, I am going to come fish the chena because it's the only grayling water open right now.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Over the years I've seen drift boats make it to the middle river a few different ways..... the best way I believe I've seen was a snowmachine towing a drift boat on its trailer across the lake at mind blowing speeds and leaving the trailer on the shore line where the ice ends(not sure on legality). Some of the young bucks pick the right conditions and push there boats across the ice to the waters edge but those days are behind me...
    The fishing can be good when it warms into the mid to high 30's. Although pretty larthargic due to cold water temps, Wintering trout chasing big slow moving leaches on the swing can be very dramatic strikes.... seeing the river at very low water levels helps me understand how fish hold and how the current affects the drift when water levels rise in the spring. If you get a wild hair and want to sneak in there this winter shoot me a pm.

FYI canyon is free and clear to float through ice on the banks made it tricky getting in and out.