Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.8 SPC vs. the .223/5.56 Forgetting Ammo cost....which Goooder

Default 6.8 SPC vs. the .223/5.56 Forgetting Ammo cost....which Goooder

If we leave out the cost of ammo. If we assume AR-15 platform only. If we leave out the cost of reloading or the firearm cost. Assuming Alaska "HUNTING" Only applications under 300 yards.

What will one cartridge do more goooder than the other cartridge......????

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    If we leave out the cost of ammo. If we assume AR-15 platform only. If we leave out the cost of reloading or the firearm cost. Assuming Alaska "HUNTING" Only applications under 300 yards.

ASSUMEING that you are going to limit your hunting to proper ranges and animal sizes it's really a toss-up. The ammo, mags and accessories for the 223 are far easier to obtain than 6.8 SPC. Using a 1-8" twist the 223 will launch a pretty heavy for caliber bullet giving it a high Sectional Density and good BC. The 6.8 SPC has a much larger frontal area and a bit more additional impact but has a lower SD and BC than a heavy for caliber 223 bullet.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

How about .300 blackout? .308 bullet on a reshaped .223 brass, and the only thing you have to change is the barrel... uses the same mags, bolt, everything but the barrel. Heard it's the big hit in the hunting circles, altho granted hogs in the lower 48.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Quote Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
    How about .300 blackout? .308 bullet on a reshaped .223 brass, and the only thing you have to change is the barrel... uses the same mags, bolt, everything but the barrel. Heard it's the big hit in the hunting circles, altho granted hogs in the lower 48.
    NO....NO NO......Please start a new thread for .300 AAC Blackout. This is NOT about anything other than what is stated in the original post....Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    ASSUMEING that you are going to limit your hunting to proper ranges and animal sizes it's really a toss-up. The ammo, mags and accessories for the 223 are far easier to obtain than 6.8 SPC. Using a 1-8" twist the 223 will launch a pretty heavy for caliber bullet giving it a high Sectional Density and good BC. The 6.8 SPC has a much larger frontal area and a bit more additional impact but has a lower SD and BC than a heavy for caliber 223 bullet.
    Where I find myself is wanting to get married "For better or worse" to either the 6.8 SPC or the .223/5.56 and get divorced from the other.

The 6.8mm SPC round was developed to address the short range failures of the 5.56mm round in regards to stopping enemy personnel from pulling the trigger or closing a bomb switch before they head off to the 72 virgins.
    That was with a 14.5 inch barrel in the M4 carbine series of weapons.

As for hunting, the 6.8mm SPC is really a 270 short. When loaded in an 18, 20, or in my case my 24 inch barrel, it becomes a viable hunting round out to 300 yards. A 16 inch carbine in 6.8mm is more like 200 yards.

With my 65.8mm I am shooting a 90 grain 270 caliber bullet faster than the original 55 grain .223 caliber bullet was going from the first AR-15s.
    SO BETTER THAN THE 223.
    I am also shooting a 110 grain (Accubond) bullet faster than the .223 caliber 62 grain bullets goes from a 20 inch M-16A2 barrel.
    AGAIN BETTER
    And I also have the ability to shoot 120, 130 and even 150 grain bullets.

For targets or varmints, the .223 is probably better.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Float Pilot............Thank You, that is most helpful information.

+1 on Float's comments!! 6.8 is a fine hunting round within it's capability.

I am leaving the 6.8 behind and moving to .300 BO and the 6.5 Grendel because of the better bullet BC/SD available. The Black Out is my choice if things get tight supply wise because of the use of .223.5.56 brass, mags and so on...just a barrel change and you're off and running with the BO.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

Assuming you want to shoot everything you can with one or the other I think its 6.8 hands down. I love my .223 but I wouldn't want to rely on it for hunting and self defense after the apocolypse. Assuming your wanting to stockpile one type of ammo/gun or the other... The 6.8 can do everything the .223 can for survival IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Assuming you want to shoot everything you can with one or the other I think its 6.8 hands down. I love my .223 but I wouldn't want to rely on it for hunting and self defense after the apocolypse. Assuming your wanting to stockpile one type of ammo/gun or the other... The 6.8 can do everything the .223 can for survival IMO.

Yes, I think this is the right way to go.

I am a big 6.8 fan, though I have little to no interest in AR's. My 6.8 is a bolt gun that I've had since shortly after the round was introduced. I second what everyone else has said. There's very little a 5.56 will do that a 6.8 won't do as well, but there's plenty a 6.8 will do a 5.56 would fall well short of.

On the one hand the more popular it gets the less ammo and components will be available. But if it doesn't get popular enough, I fear it will eventually drop into that obscure "one run a year" category that makes components hard to even find at times. It seems like nearly all my favorite cartridges fall into that category. Maybe it's because they're obscure that I like them all the more.

A CZ 527 bolt action mini Mauser carbine in 6.8mm SPC ( 270 Kurtz ) would be pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    A CZ 527 bolt action mini Mauser carbine in 6.8mm SPC ( 270 Kurtz ) would be pretty neat.
    If it had a "Blind Box".........those extended magazines make me want to puke.

Agreed..... It makes me wonder what they were thinking....

Back in the late 1960s my Dad's best friend ( me second dad ) showed me an M-1 carbine that he modified while in Germany in the late 40s / early 50s.
    It had been hidden ( lost in battle) away by some of the locals along with a bunch of other firearms. So when he obtained it, he really had to change it...

Being an Officer he had lots of spare time and was taking classic gunsmithing lessons from a couple locals.

He built a 5 round internal box magazine, removed the hooked charging handle, installed rear and forward sights that he made, then polished the entire thing and gave it a deep German rust blue. (without the original serial number) Then he bedded the whole thing into a nice Mannlicher style stock.
    He ended up with a super cute little 5 shot Mannlicher semi auto carbine that weighed 5 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Those are nice rifles except for the magazine I agree. Mine is built on a Zastava mini-Mauser with a hinged floor plate. The only thing I'm not crazy about is how short the bolt handle is so its a little tough to operate quickly with the scope. But it's not a big deal.

Guess it all depends on what you intend to do with it.

Not to derail your thread.. But....
    Google: "6.5 grendel shooting times" Read that article.. Very good read...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

As cartridges, I see the 223 as a poor choice for hunting, (Good only for varmint hunting, too explosive for small game and fur.)

And the 6.8 as a huge compromise.

Neither, would exist without the ARs, although the 223 does duplicate other so-called varmint cartridges.

What we have now, is a lotta jumping through hoops to make the ARs practical because there is now, is a cult following.

Had the AR been designed for a more suitable military cartridge, and/or the rifle been chosen by something other than politics, there would be no dilemma.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    As cartridges, I see the 223 as a poor choice for hunting, (Good only for varmint hunting, too explosive for small game and fur.)
    Please do NOT tell my friend who has killed more than 40 moose with AR-15 in .223

Most hunters hunt with way to powerful a cartridge as a method of compensating for lack of field experience. Market hunters used 250/3000 in the early days. The primary cartridge for shooting Polar Bears was the Remington .222

There ain't a Brown Bear alive that can't be harvested with one shot from a .223/5.56

Had the AR been designed for a more suitable military cartridge, and/or the rifle been chosen by something other than politics, there would be no dilemma.
    It was. The original AR was the AR-10 chambered in 7.62mm NATO. I had the chance to shoot an original Sudanese model in Africa.

Armalite only developed & built what the Gov't claimed they wanted with the 5.56mm version. Which was just a modified .222 Rem Mag.

FIFTY + YEARS LATER, we are still haggling over it...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast