Thread: DS203 Question

Default DS203 Question

Does anyone have advice, opinions, or preferences between a drop off at Boulder Creek or the Charlie Boyd airstrip? I have researched both areas and seen success stories from each but before making my final decision on which area to hunt I thought I would throw it out on the forum to see if there were any preference between the two areas, such as access into sheep country from the airstrip or whatever?
    I know someone will ask, I was drawn last year but was able to hold the tag until this year because of deployment. Any last minute advice or will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    RuckUp

I can not offer advice for you, only encouragement. I wish you success on a great tag and thanks for your service!

Thanks for protecting our country. Good luck on your Sheep hunt.

I would recommend that you make your decision and book your air taxi ASAP, once the draw results are released on the 15th your options will be limited.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Steve
    Yep Ive contacted my pilot and just making my final decision this week. It will be booked by Friday to beat the draw results.

RuckUp

SkinnyD, Yeah looked at this one and many others. This guy walked in from the road and Im looking at flying in. Thanks though

Thank you fellas for the encouragement and for comments about my service. I have been looking forward to this hunt for a long time.....

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

pm sent

Disclaimer: I have only been on one sheep hunt. I am not an expert, nor claiming any expertise.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I'm on vacation right now and don't have a map in front of me, but I thought the Charlie Boyd airstrip was the only one you are allowed to use during the walk in DS203 hunt. Am I missing something? Maybe you were thinking about getting dropped off before the non-motorized season starts...

DJK is right on that one. Only choice is CB so it makes it easy.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by DJK View Post
    I'm on vacation right now and don't have a map in front of me, but I thought the Charlie Boyd airstrip was the only one you are allowed to use during the walk in DS203 hunt. Am I missing something? Maybe you were thinking about getting dropped off before the non-motorized season starts...
    Thanks for pointing that out. The transporter I'm using mentioned in his email about being able to flying into two both locations. I am going in before season however going in anywhere other than Charlie Boyd will not work for a pickup. I read the regs serveral times in the past year but I guess the email threw me off. Charlie Boyd it is.

Thanks RuckUp

My choice was Boulder Creek. I had an extensive conversation with the individual who used to guide that area before it became the DCUA. I shot a 12 yo double broomed ram and there were at least 5 different rams in that bowl that were 40+. Feel free to PM me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    my choice was boulder creek. I had an extensive conversation with the individual who used to guide that area before it became the dcua. I shot a 12 yo double broomed ram and there were at least 5 different rams in that bowl that were 40+. Feel free to pm me.
    great ram! Thanks for sharing!

check my link below for the Charlie Boyd

I wish F&G would have been doing g that when I deployed to Iraq in 05 I drew a tag and found out I was being sent over. When I contacted f&g about holding the tag till the next year I was told "that's too bad" I am glad to see they are doing it now though

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by winkhink View Post
    Thank you for sharing this link. When you were up there how did the river look by CB? Floatable?

Thanks
    RuckUp

Are you talking the Johnson river? Nothing really looked floatable from the ride we took, but for sheep you want to be above glacier.

Quote Originally Posted by winkhink View Post
    hard work paid off. cool write up. congrats.

Ruckup,

That's very cool of ADF&G to let you keep your tag. gotta love it when they look out for mil folks.