Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose:40 mile float VS White Mountain ATV/walk in

Default Moose:40 mile float VS White Mountain ATV/walk in

First off i have done the leg work on both these hunts. Me and my NR brother are planning a trip for moose and have 2 ideas. I have looked at all the success %'s from ADFG on both areas and how many hunters (for hunting pressure purposes) are in each area. He is looking to shoot a moose or a caribou since he can shoot sheep in montana if he ever gets the drawing haha. Moose 1st pick caribou 2nd pick.

First is the 40 Mile River float. I have read Mikes book on the the float and know the river mentally; which is not worth much, but have not ever been on it but do have boating skills and my brother has more. Now i can hunt any bull in that area but my brother is restricted to 50/4 brow tines. And we cant have our caribou tags and moose tags on our person at one time. this area has more hunting pressure and about a 20-25% success rate for moose.

Second is the white mountains which we would ride in on atvs and then walk after we get to the border of summer atv use area. So he gets to decide how big of a animal he gets to choose. This hunt is closer to home and less hunting pressure. With only 260 ish hunters in 2011 with a 33% success rate. Less chance for bou since the White Mountain herd are related to the unicorn but better chances with moose.

My question isn't where do you go to kill your animal but rather what are your experiences with people and animals in both areas. In regards to the mass amount of people on the 40 mile with jet boats to people breaking the law with atvs deep in the white mountains. Also any information that you can think of that i havn't thought about yet would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

The fall Fortymile caribou hunt likely won't last long. I believe it was a one-day affair last season.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Ya i remember that but you sure did see alot of bou in the back of the trucks on the way back form there i was doing some hunting along the chatanike on the first last year i remember the slaughter. Ya caribou are on the back burner, i would be planning on being at hunt camp in there on like the 4th. If the RC860 makes it that long then cool if not oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    Ya i remember that but you sure did see alot of bou in the back of the trucks on the way back form there i was doing some hunting along the chatanike on the first last year i remember the slaughter. Ya caribou are on the back burner, i would be planning on being at hunt camp in there on like the 4th. If the RC860 makes it that long then cool if not oh well

If you plan on moose hunting make sure you read the rules on RC860. If moose was the main focus,, White Mountains, 40 mile for Caribou.

From the regs...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...tfile_id=12277

REMEMBER: You may not possess RC860 & RM865 (20E moose permit) at the same time! If the state season closes before the federal season, then only federally eligible subsistence hunters may continue to participate in this hunt on federal lands.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Also keep in mind many areas, including the 40mile book up fast. We're getting late in the game as it is. Many taxis are filled up and the prime areas are already booked out.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thanks to trying to help so far, but i am aware of all the regulations and such. I know your all trying to help but i am looking for experiences on both hunts in regards to hunting pressure and things of that nature. Yes aware that i can not have both tags in 20 e on the forty mile. Also neither would be fly in or guided trips. Thanks again i hope the info keeps flowing

Also appreciate the opinion stid.

Pressure? It's subjective and impossible to gauge.

It's all in where you go, and who else flies in the area you want to hunt. You may fly Coyote Air to X river but Wrights might bring in 5 more parties in front or behind you.

Pick an area then ask your questions. The forum can't exactly offer opinion on an area that spans 1000+ square miles.

What you can bet on is air taxis being booked, so call them all and ask them how many party's they plan on putting on the strip you wanna land in.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I'm leaning towards the White's but worried that since i'll be abiding by the rules others won't be and ill walk in and see others riding thier atvs in front of me getting the jump on me. With the 40 mile i like the idea of covering alot of ground daily and each day getting to a new hunting area but maybe not looking forward to the 780 ish hunters that the area saw in 2011. I have almost made my mind up to go with the White's but was waiting to hear any game changing points anybody had on here.

You've got all the right info already laid out for you. That said, Im a big fan of rock, paper, scissors.

Ya i know it but i always lose at that game my wife kills me every time and i'm stuck doing the dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    I'm leaning towards the White's but worried that since i'll be abiding by the rules others won't be and ill walk in and see others riding thier atvs in front of me getting the jump on me...
    Don'tget too wrapped up in worrying about guys on wheelers ahead of you. They'll be blasting past plenty of animals they won't even see... Hunt smart and use being on foot to your advantage.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Also don't forget to factor in all the military will be back for hunting season this year so there will be more pressure then the last couple of seasons.

Ya they will be here this year. But even that should not change too much. Maybe another 50 but it looks like alot of people use the mckay trail so i will stay clear of that. I am going to try to find my own area to have mostly to myself.After talking to my brother we are goin gto the White's so if anyone has any info on where not to go i think i was gonna head north of nome creek or maybe obrien. Any areas not to go to would be appreciated. Just trying to stay away from the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    The fall Fortymile caribou hunt likely won't last long. I believe it was a one-day affair last season.
    This hasn't been a problem in zone 2 which is probably where he's looking to be.

My recommendation, post less on where you wanna go, and search more

I'd be surprised if you find an area for yourself up there, my experience up ther has been that if you see a bull you probably aren't the only one that can see him and if he's what you want you better figure out how to make him yours or watch while someone else does. Combat hunting anyone? Trouble is it is easily accessible so everyone goes up there. Take a sat phone and report law breakers if you're worried about people in where they aren't supposes to be on atvs. They take away from law abiding citizens' experiences.

Remember when looking at success rates in large areas that many times it is the same hunters year after year that take animals for almost 20 years I or my partner shot a moose in unit 25 usually within 3 days the begining of the season, we only shot one because thats all we needed. Most of these were within a half mile square area. To have success in heavily hunted areas be the first out of camp and last to bed.

In the 40 mile area the absolute easiest way to find a moose is to have a registration caribou tag in possession. This works almost every time.

Where did you get the 22% number? I guess it creeped up a bit. I remember it being more like 15%.

It's good to also know that in this area the out of state hunters percentage wise kill more moose, mostly because they hire 40 mile air. If I were to guess what the success rate is on any road access hunt in the 40 mile area it would be closer to 7-10%. The moose are localized, and there are huge areas with no moose in them.

Thanks for the info. I got the 22 by taking the number of hunters for the RM hunt and dividing it by the successful ones. Ya i am gonna pass on the float not enough there for me to try with what i know gonna stick closer to home and where i know. Thanks for the insight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast