Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldotna SW policy on new guns/ammo purchase...

Default Soldotna SW policy on new guns/ammo purchase...

I was in Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday. Monday is their usual day for the supply truck to come. It was very late probably do to bad roads. Anyhow, about 15 folks were browsing the gun area just after noon when I arrived. Everyone who was waiting for the supply to arrive was to sign up on a 'list'. I was number 21. After checking out some other guns on the shelf I left to take care of some other business in town. The truck had come and was unloaded while I was gone and I was told they had immediately sold the 6 AR style guns that came in to the first few people that were on the list.
    I'm told there will be a new policy now for the selling of new guns/ammo that come in. Word is they plan to have a 'drawing' style raffle of wanna be new gun owners on the Saturday following the Monday that the new guns/ammo come in. The gun mngr said he was getting a bit tired of the same guys coming in and getting first in line so then they can resell the guns on the open market. The manager doesn't have the details on how this will work exactly, but it sounds like their gonna try to spread the goods to some other customers. I say good on him.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

What business is it of SW on who buys what and why? It's a busy time, folks hafta **** or get off the pot.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Maybe the buddies of the employees didn't get there first this time ... therefore, a more fair approach is warranted. Just kidding as it's their store and they can do what they want and change policy as they see fit.

It used to be frustrating to visit their Anchorage store as they don't stock the shelves right with powder/primers... but there employees are more than helpful to look in the back room for you. If the goods aren't what you want, they kindly return the goods to the back room for the next person that asks. Kind of nice that most people don't know to ask .. so its like having a personal shopper at Amazon dot com... And if you buy the right things ... they will even carry them to the checkout counter for you.

That is exactly what they are doing at the SW down here in Arizona. The truck arrives late Wednesday evening. Thursday morning they allow 100 customers to draw 100 numbered chips. Those people are allowed to buy one firearm each starting with number one, it's nuts to watch. It doesn't seem to be slowing down either. Some guys are offering cash to the low numbered chip holders for a chance to buy an AR. It's crazy what this has become. Last week 15 run of the mill AR's came in, they were gone in the blink of an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    It's crazy what this has become.
    That's an understatement to say the least.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I don't think this is going to be over in 6 months. This may be the new "Normal". This Company sells Magazines, but they are out of everything.....Everything.

http://www.44mag.com/category/223_ar15_magazines/a

Apparently NICS is reporting a nearly 95% increase over the same period last year: http://thislandpress.com/roundups/gu...still-soaring/ -who says Obama hasn't done anything for the economy?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Glad I bought my AR right after the last AWB expired when the market value crashed due to the sudden influx of product. All those who are paying over inflated prices for guns today, are going to lose money if they hold them through the congressional failure of the new AWB bill.

These folks are playing an age old game called, "day trading". And it is a very risky game of musical chairs that will leave someone holding heavily devalued property when the music stops.

As to SW, I think it is great that they are taking initiative to serve the needs of their customers through a lottery style distribution of limited product so that anyone who wants to play the game has an equal chance to get in.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

It'll be interesting to see what pops up for sale the first two weeks in April.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Not to big of a deal, let them pay top dollar. You can still get them from rock river arms for the same price they have always been.

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post
    Not to big of a deal, let them pay top dollar. You can still get them from rock river arms for the same price they have always been.
    The guns in SW are still the same price as they've been. Ammo shelves are near wiped out just like everywhere else, I guess. Glad I got what I thought I wanted last year, prior to the craziness setting in. Sure was nice seeing the pallets of ammo cans sitting on the floor last year. Supposedly, they have that on order, but I'm not expecting that to happen anytime soon.....if ever. Heck, even the shotgun shell shelves are looking a bit bare.

A few weeks ago I went in there, saw them drawing numbers. Avoided the commotion, picked up some primers I needed, came back by the counter to check on powder, guy says "anybody want an AR?" The crowd was interested in magazines. I said "lemme see it" so he showed me one of two BM carbon 15's and said "729" I said sold.

I haven't ever bought an AR before, but thought the price was excellent. I got it home and found out it came with a 20rd, sling, and 1x Bushnell red dot scope. What a killer deal. A young adult or petite female could pack this rifle and use it very effectively.

They put two Saiga 12's and one Saiga in 762 on the rack. The guy next to me bought the other carbon 15.

Later in the afternoon the Saigas were all still there. There were still some green metal cans behind the counter.

There were people there claiming they were reselling the guns they bought "for so cheap" on the web and getting lots of $$$$. Good for them I guess, there are unprepared.... panicking people, and like the wolf eats the weakest of the herd.....

I was pleased to not have been "drawn" walked up like any old schmuck and bought a nice lightweight packable AR for what is AK MSRP.

SW could "take advantage" of the market like the shop keeps in the gold rush days, sell to the highest bidder "on the spot" but they don't, and they won't.

Looked on the AK list and saw a fresh post in soldotna, NIB carbon 15 for $1500. Same day. I looked all over the web and see AR rifles selling for several thousand. You choose, SW for retail price or the web for crazy auction price :beer:

Freedom of choice. Buy one where you can, pay what you feel comfortable. The option coming from our "brothers" and "sisters" in blue is not have one at all....

Yeah, I should clarify my statement about inflated pricing. I was referring to the "resellers" who are hogging up a bunch of guns at the shops for list price and then jumping on the auction sites to resell them at 200% mark up. Those people are the problem; not the gun shops.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Yeah, I should clarify my statement about inflated pricing. I was referring to the "resellers" who are hogging up a bunch of guns at the shops for list price and then jumping on the auction sites to resell them at 200% mark up. Those people are the problem; not the gun shops.
    Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    In reference to my post. SW down here is selling at reduced rates. They are generally the cheapest chain store in the valley.

Paid $300 over MSRP for a DPSM AP4 A-15 today. Why? Because I procrastinated over the last year. Had been looking for 2 new ARs for my kids but never found what I thought was a deal so now I'm paying for that laziness.

Suppose if I were a better shopper I could have stalked SW everyday waiting for a shipment and hoped to get the better price but I have better things to do. I'm perfectly happy with my $1200 DPMS

Obama has 4 years. Current congressional members, or some of them, have 2. Just cuz gun bans don't pass now, doesn't mean they won't still talk about it. Future gun crimes will keep gun bans in the news. I think real possibility the shortages and large purchasings could last over the next 4 years. Only chance for something returning to normal is the next congressional elections and a significant change in #s of Dems!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Guys, just keep your eyes peeled. Walmart is still getting colts in at fair prices. I stopped in to see just by chance if they had gotten any Varget in earlier this week. No dice, but walked out with an $1167 Colt LE6920 magpul with two 30-rd pmags included. Not what I was looking for but they just got 5 6920's in--lucky timing. Only allowed 1 per person and the others went within minutes. Couple folks showed up bc employee buddies called.

As far as the Saturday lottery--sounds like a great business plan. Fair to all they come in on a Saturday and has customers walking the isles browsing other possible purchases while they wait. I don't like the idea of rationing--but if I were a store manager it simply sounds smart.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

the chip / lottery / draw system allows several customers an opportunity to acquire a firearm versus the first guy buying them all. It sucks to be the guy without a chip but the system seems to be fair given the current conditions.

Last year I had a chance to shoot a neighbors PMR30 and record velocity's of this small 22Mag hand gun versus a 20" 22LR rifle, it was quite nice. That neighbors son went down to a couple of shops and got on the list for a PMR30 of his own. Yesterday his PMR came in, sadly the shop said it would be $800.00, (double what the father paid for his) as they had more than 20 guys on the list and current PMR's are selling for more than $800.00 - $1,000.00 on Gun Broker. He bought it anyway, sad but true price gouging in a desperate market.

Word has it that sign up would be at 10 am to 10:30 am Saturday will get you a chance to buy the guns and ammo that came in this week at SW in Soldotna. Pretty good idea by SW if you ask me. Gets multiple customers in the door who will likely browse and buy something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast