Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-375 Ruger

Default 30-375 Ruger

I see that Quality Cartridge is advertising this brass on Midway and I've seen a number of guys doing this wildcat. I think the 375 Ruger is a great cartridge and wonder why they don't come out with other versions of it like the 30-375? What say you? should Ruger do a 30-375? Or for that matter, 7-375, 338-375 and 35-375?

I think Ruger is dropping the ball and missing a potentially big market with some potentially great rounds.

Gunwerks has already done a 7mm wildcat called the 7LRM and Hornady is making the brass. A little sharper shoulder with long neck. It falls in there with the 7 Dakota.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

A long line shooter approached me about this one about 3 years ago. It is simply necking down the 375. We went to QC for the headstamp and it has been a popular wildcat. Load data is a straight forward easy step. Some 300 Lapua shooters are looking at it to reduce recoil with good accuracy. Nice round.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

What would you gain over, lets say, a 300 WBY or 300 UM?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    What would you gain over, lets say, a 300 WBY or 300 UM?
    Easy adaptability to shorter actions is the only tangible advantage I can see. I had considered such an idea several years ago, but I gotta admit that the .30 caliber cartridges generally leave me a bit cold.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Advantages over the WBY would be more reasonably priced brass offered by Hornady if it did become a standard cartridge. I think it has a slightly higher capacity combined with a shorter cartridge that would fit into stnd actions better, especially if handloading longer bullets. And for guys who don't care for belts, well that's another advantage.

The RUM is a bit of a different animal. It is ballisticaly superior to the Ruger but with the price of increased recoil as well as a longer COAL like the WBY. I know a friend who did a 30-375 variant and actually set back the shoulder slightly and sharpened the shoulder to 40* with a long neck. He is getting close to RUM velocities with much less powder.

If Ruger did come out with some of these cartridges, they would be like a poorman's Dakotas. The Dakota cases are pure simplistic, efficient beauty and the 375 Ruger is very similar in design.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

I kind of wondered the same thing myself. Ruger did neck the .375RUG case to .308 and .338...they just shortened it to .308WIN length at the same time and called it the RCM. They also handicapped (IMHO) the rifles with a 20" barrel. They're handy, but the RCM data looks better from a longer barrel.

Not sure what sort of impact they're making in the market but you don't see them often. The WSM got a 10yr headstart and the RSAUM has not seen much success in the marketplace either.

I wonder if just necking the standard .375RUG case would have been a better idea....but the world is pretty full of big cased magnums too.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Advantages over the WBY would be more reasonably priced brass offered by Hornady if it did become a standard cartridge. I think it has a slightly higher capacity combined with a shorter cartridge that would fit into stnd actions better, especially if handloading longer bullets. And for guys who don't care for belts, well that's another advantage.
    Actually, Hornady also makes 300 Wby brass so cost is going to largely be the same/same. Just for argument sake, some might prefer belts on their cartridges so that can easily be seen as a disadvantage in the Ruger. Case capacity is slightly (ever so slightly) in favor of the Wby so I'm suspicious that in most applications external ballistics will will be slightly less in the 30-375 than in the Wby. The shorter COAL is the lone measurable advantage, but that doesn't mean that the 30-375 will not be considered the next "greatest cartridge ever designed".........

I think the advantage of the Ruger case is that it is beltless and 30-06 in length. It is also more closely matched to a case capacity of a realistic model of the 300 magnum. The cavernous 300 Lapua and 300 RUM, though both good cartridges, have case capacity that makes loading less versatile because optimum performance comes only with the slowest powders. The 300 Rum and the 300 Wby are two I've had very good results from both in field performance and in accuracy and the Ruger is a beltless version of those two. I would not say it is better than any of these big 30's but it is different and it is without a belt and is 30-06 length. Those advantages are of course in the eye of the beholder, since there is no real fault with the belt except in the feeding smoothness. It is different and more practical than the 300 RUM and Lapua because capacity is more realistic.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Actually, Hornady also makes 300 Wby brass so cost is going to largely be the same/same. Just for argument sake, some might prefer belts on their cartridges so that can easily be seen as a disadvantage in the Ruger. Case capacity is slightly (ever so slightly) in favor of the Wby so I'm suspicious that in most applications external ballistics will will be slightly less in the 30-375 than in the Wby. The shorter COAL is the lone measurable advantage, but that doesn't mean that the 30-375 will not be considered the next "greatest cartridge ever designed".........
    Good point on the brass. I must have been thinking of the 30-378 brass that I priced checked recently. Where did you get your capacity info? Not saying you're wrong but a couple sources seem to indicate the Ruger has a larger capacity, and that's based on the 375 Ruger, so maybe the capacity included the neck? I don't know. I'll say they are close enough to call it a tie. On the belt thing, I know a lot of folks don't care about belts but don't know many who actually prefer them as they are basically useless in the 375 H&H prodigy. And some of us just don't care for them. I would say that the 300 Dakota is probably the best practical 300 Mag ever designed except for it's being so proprietary and expensive. A real shame. IMO the Ruger would be about a half a step behind.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Good point on the brass. I must have been thinking of the 30-378 brass that I priced checked recently. Where did you get your capacity info? Not saying you're wrong but a couple sources seem to indicate the Ruger has a larger capacity, and that's based on the 375 Ruger, so maybe the capacity included the neck? I don't know. I'll say they are close enough to call it a tie.
    Concerning water capacity, I get just over 100 grains in 300 Wby brass and not quite 99 grains in the 375 Ruger. Granting that the neck of the 375 is significantly larger than the 30 caliber offspring will make some difference. Exactly how much difference? I can't say, but I'd guess the 30-375 has something like 97-98 grains water capacity. That would give the Wby something like a 2% advantage.......

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Concerning water capacity, I get just over 100 grains in 300 Wby brass and not quite 99 grains in the 375 Ruger. Granting that the neck of the 375 is significantly larger than the 30 caliber offspring will make some difference. Exactly how much difference? I can't say, but I'd guess the 30-375 has something like 97-98 grains water capacity. That would give the Wby something like a 2% advantage.......
    OK, Ammoguide is showing 94.6 and 92.4 for the Ruger nand Wby respectively. I'm guessing that doesn't include the neck? Maybe differences in in brass and sizing?
    ~ John Quincy Adams

I've often thought of a custom build .284-375 Ruger in a nice McMillan A5 stock with a G-30 action and a 26" heavy barrel. The shorter cartridge would easily fit in the longer magazine box of the 300RUM builds.

I would load it with the new Berger 180gr Hybrid seated to be flush with the bottom of the neck in the case. Leave just enough neck to hold the bullet and push the shoulder forward as much as that would allow. This long COAL would still be shorter than the magazine box mentioned above.

I would have the dies and reamer built so the loaded cartridge as described would be kissing the lands. I would then test with a variety of powders hoping to find one that offered a nice case fill with outstanding accuracy in the new design. I'm guessing H-1000.

Dream on...

We duplicate Wby ballistics in the 30-375 Ruger.

I have reopened this thread. Don't know why it was closed. Sorry for the error.

Thanks Murphy, much appreciated! I figured it was a mistake.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post

I would load it with the new Berger 180gr Hybrid seated to be flush with the bottom of the neck in the case. Leave just enough neck to hold the bullet and push the shoulder forward as much as that would allow. This long COAL would still be shorter than the magazine box mentioned above.
    Do you mean push the shoulder forward or back? If you sharpened the shoulder leaving the shoulder length the same, you could lengthen neck and mitigate throat erosion which would be an issue with a 7-375.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    We duplicate Wby ballistics in the 30-375 Ruger.
    Sounds right to me.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Do you mean push the shoulder forward or back? If you sharpened the shoulder leaving the shoulder length the same, you could lengthen neck and mitigate throat erosion which would be an issue with a 7-375.
    The shoulder is a touch shorter than .375 on the 375 Ruger. I would go for minimun neck on the .284 as well. This would allow the fire formed brass to push the shoulder forward and increase case capacity a little for the new .284-375 I desire. The reamer and dies would be custom made to accommodate the design.

[
    QUOTE=marshall;1243116]The shoulder is a touch shorter than .375 on the 375 Ruger. I would go for minimun neck on the .284 as well. This would allow the fire formed brass to push the shoulder forward and increase case capacity a little for the new .284-375 I desire. The reamer and dies would be custom made to accommodate the design.
    [/QUOTE]

You mean the neck? Your 284-375 would probably be close to 7STW and yeah, you would need custom dies. You could do the initial neck reduction with a 338 RCM Bushing die. I know of guys who have done that.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

You mean the neck?

Yes, the .375 neck is shorter than it's diameter. Assuming I kept the neck at or a little shorter than .284 you could push the shoulder forward and capture a little more room for charge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast