Thread: Dutch Harbor Halibut Charter 2013

Default Dutch Harbor Halibut Charter 2013

I'm going out to Dutch Harbor in July and I can only find one charter's website...

http://www.unalaskahalibutfishing.com/

Anyone have any thoughts on this guy? Feel free to PM me.

I think your choices are very limited out there. Try doing a search for B&B's or lodges/Inns that might also offer fishing trips. When the weather cooperates it is quite nice out there. Have Fun!

My son in law worked out there some years ago and went out with Magone's. He;s one of the best. You;ll get some big one.

Get in touch with the Grand Aleutian Hotel out there, they will have contact info for the local charter outfits there.

Dr. No,

I talked with Rosalinda at the Grand Aleutian Hotel yesterday. She said Dave Magone was the only fishing charter she knew of in Dutch Harbor. These are the numbers she gave me for Capt Magone: Bus# 907-581-5949, Cell #907-359-5243. He has not replied to messages I left but it is the off season so that is not too surprising. He is probably working another job or on vacation or something.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

He may be out working with the drill rig.

Dave called me back this afternoon and I got my trip booked with him. Sounds like a pretty reasonable guy. He said he was running a tug.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    I'm going out to Dutch Harbor in July and I can only find one charter's website...

http://www.unalaskahalibutfishing.com/

Anyone have any thoughts on this guy? Feel free to PM me.
    will you take me with you!!! please!!!

Going to give Dave a call...I wasn't really planning on going out to Dutch, but the gf wanted to visit. Figured I might as well go halibut fishing while I'm out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    will you take me with you!!! please!!!

Me too please!!!

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

So we went out to Dutch Harbor and went out w/Dave Magone. 5 people on the boat; me, my gf, my brother, his wife, and a single guy. Me, my gf and my brother got skunked. A few p-cod and some large sculpins. His wife caught 2 50lbers and the single guy caught 1 50lb and 1 60lb. Incredible place, but I wouldn't go unless you have a few days on either side of it...Dave did say that 2 days before they had been in the same spot and got 10 (or 8?) fish with an average of 70lbs, a low of 50 and a high of 115 or 125 (don't remember). Dave was really nice and tried hard, but that's why they call it fishing and not catching.

If you go...don't bring coolers.
    You can buy fish boxes there. Apparently, when PenAir thinks there is a chance they aren't going to get in they don't bring bags (so they can turn around and fly back). So our bags never made it in. The Grand Aleutian kept our fish in their freezer, so that's something to keep in mind if you do go and catch fish. Also, like I said before, if you're interested in going, make sure you plan in extra days. Not too much going on in Dutch Harbor, but the weather can keep you grounded in ANC...we lost a day in ANC and I feel lucky that it was only 1.

If you've never taken off from there, it's quite a different experience....I found this clip on Youtube and I think it captures the whole "brakes on, throttle fwd" pretty well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQmPPYOOFhc