Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me put a Value on a Beretta 92FS

Default Help me put a Value on a Beretta 92FS

I'm trying to figure out how to sell a firearm, why is it so hard to let these rigs go ??
    for some reason it's near impossible to put a value on this one,
    so am hoping you guys can throw in some opinions

Knowing these have a so-so reputation among the AOD hardcore Handgun guys, the 92FS I mean
    I'm wondering what you guys think
    with all the additional stuff,...can I get away with $600 ?

I do realize the standard Beretta 9mm is going to be maybe $450 or so,...(right ??)
    but, as I include three 15 round magazines, is worth something extra,
    I put a brand new barrel on about 200 rounds back,...I figure that's worth something
    an Uncle Mike's soft case,
    an Uncle Mike's Sidekick Holster,
    Walnut Grips, and the old plastic ones, are still around

there's only a little wear on the Magazines, the Safety, the grip screws on one side,
    and the other wear marks are clear in these pics
    otherwise, it's a pretty immaculate gun

Oh yeah, even have the original box, this was about a 1985 purchase as I recall
    for what that means to ya,...has not been heavily worked though

I'm hoping to trade the dollars for a new .243 for the oldest son, having lost his to a thief last fall,...
    I just figure I want that way more than I need this one,...
    I'm hoping to cover as much of a Tikka T-3 lite, (over 600 b-4 scope) so honest opinions would be great

What do ya think,...am I stretching it,...less, or more ??
    aren't those 15 round mags obsolete now ?,...and a brand new barrel,...(heh, heh, can you tell I'm having a hard time ?)
    I'm thinking of listing it local on island,...but,
    any tips on the best market, or pricing strategies would be appreciated

Can you believe, this is my first gun sale, ever,....ha ha, still not sure I can do it,..this one is Fun to Shoot
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I am not a Beretta fan. Not because they are not a quality piece but because of the lock work. I will say yours looks nice and I think it should sell in the $600-$650 price range. Beretta fans are out there and that's not a bad price. Handguns are going up do to high demand.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I think $600 is a real stretch....but today's market is pretty radical by my estimation so it may well go that. I've seen stuff sell for significantly more than it would have just 3 months ago and way more than I would have paid.

I've seen really clean ones go in the $400 range before the craziness started. Throw it out there at whatever top end you think and work your way down, realizing you may need to do that to move it.

Go to Gunbroker and see what they're getting (not asking) and you'll get a pretty good idea.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Go to Gunbroker and see what they're getting (not asking) and you'll get a pretty good idea.
    That's what I always do, is set up a bunch of auctions to watch and then average out the closing prices. That'll give you fair value.

Thanks guys,
    the part I am wondering how to value is stuff like the 3, 15 round magazines
    Seems I heard they don't make them anymore,...is that true, or are there knock-offs available out there for cheap ?

So if those are somewhat hard to find, I was thinking they add something
    and the essentially new barrel
    and Walnut grips

stuff like that adds up, or does it not affect the used gun price

otherwise I was discouraged away from selling it when I saw the average Gunbroker prices

and I know the case and holster are not much,...but,...

all the extras are where I came up with about 150 extra,...and gotta admit,
    I was thinking the market is as good as ever now for something like this

Cause I can't think of it like a used car somehow,...where they just plummet in value
    unless abused or heavily used, which this is neither,...

So, that's what I'm wondering, the entire package price
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Thanks guys,
    the part I am wondering how to value is stuff like the 3, 15 round magazines
    Seems I heard they don't make them anymore,...is that true, or are there knock-offs available out there for cheap ?
    and the essentially new barrel
    and Walnut grips

stuff like that adds up, or does it not affect the used gun price
    So, that's what I'm wondering, the entire package price
    The new guns come with two magazines and replacements are pretty widely available (generally)- gajillions of them floating around. So it is worth something, to somebody, but probably won't greatly increase the asking price.

Same with grips- if they're to the buyer's taste they may add something, otherwise unlikely.

Barrel is sort of confusing....does it come with two barrels? That might attract some interest for some reason of another, otherwise the new barrel won't really add much.

I've never found holsters and what not to add much of anything when sold with a pistol.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have a 9000s that likes those magazines...if i could find the magazine extension then the whole deal would be worth it to me at 600+, as said though, some might have great interest while others may not. Good luck on the sale, fine looking item you have there.

Have any of you guys sold guns on Gunbroker in the past ?

Does it work fairly well, and if I'm not an FFL, do I have to ship "From" an FFL,
    or can I just mail it to their FFL?
    It looks kinda complicated, the idea of return policies, and all that, any experiences as a Seller among you guys?

Thanks for the advice

I would ask 550. Be willing to bargain down about 25 bucks. There should be a market at that price. I move a couple guns a month on Gunbroker. Overall I've had excellent luck there. But you do have to pay a sale fee, what they call a final value fee, which really isn't too bad. LOTS of good exposure for anything listed at a reasonable price. You can ship a handgun to a DEALER in another state, you just have to use FEDEX or UPS. Not the post office. Include a copy of your drivers license so the dealer can log it into his books. Also include the name and phone # of the person receiving the gun. Really no big deal. Folks try and make it more complicated than it really is.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thanks Gunbugs,
    especially for the shipping details and including DL tip,

I'm already registered on there, but have never dove in yet,
    how do you go about "Setting a Reserve price" ?
    it makes me a little nervous doing the auction deal, if I set a reserve low,
    then I have to sell it for whatever the auction ends at

They recommend Not setting too high a Reserve ? I don't really get how that works

then the shipping cost, is absorbed, or transferred to the buyer how?

Don't set a "reserve". That is a good way not to sell your item. Just start the bid at the lowest price you are willing to accept.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I think you are getting good advice Kodiakrain. I have bought and sold several guns on gunbroker and everything has went very good.
    I sold 2 NIB 92FS last year - One for $550 and one ( a desert storm model ) for $600... Both had xtra clips. Having replaced the bbl may cause some folks to think this gun has been shot too much - so that may damper the buying mood a bit?
    I would set the starting price at your lowest acceptable amount - say $525 and go from there. With the market the way it is it could go for much more....
    Another thought would be to look for the 243 on GBroker and you might be able to swing an even trade with a seller since handguns are moving much stronger than a Tikka 243 right now?
    Don't overlook this forums gun selling site as I have sold and bought a couple off of it. One gun I sold was to a chap about 100 miles from where I live here in IL so it gets viewed by a lot of folks....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I just traded a new Browning 243 for a P226 so I would advise just advertising for a trade. Be flexible on the caliber and you will probably get much farther than trying to milk two separate transactions.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Price out the cost of shipping BEFORE you decide to sell it as anything other than face to face.

Unless you are an FFL or shipping through one, handguns have to go common carrier (UPS/Fedex) and must go as Next Day Air (UPS/Fedex policy, not regulation/law). I know that is a whole pile of bucks from Alaska, and you may decide it is not worth the cost.

I also would wonder why you had to replace the barrel. They should be good for tens of thousands of rounds, so I would ask myself -why- you replaced it and if I want your problems. Doesn't matter why you did it, that is what I would think. It gives no added value to me, just questions. A gun has a barrel and is serviceable; or it has a barrel (or doesn't) and needs repair.

Most new handguns come with at least 2 magazines from the manufacturer. Some come with 3. Most used handguns come with one. Beretta mags are still made and readily available for $25-50 depending on 15, 17, or 18 rounds. They even make 20 rounders, although they may be a bit more. Mec-gar makes great mags for lots of handguns, including Beretta. And the military has bought, issued, and lost/'redistributed' many, many, many thousands of 15 rounders.

The wood grips look nice, but most people will not add much value to the purchase price for them. Unfortunate, but true in my experience. Same with the holster and soft case. Sorry.

Other downsides are they are not Glocks, not striker fired, not polymer, and have the DA/SA trigger system; all less in demand.

Having said that, now is the best time ever to sell a used normal (aka high) capacity pistol and mags. Berettas are well made and generally well liked by those who own them and those who don't have a gun magazine/internet commando mindset (because only -they- are elite enough to have been there when their buddy in SEAL Team XXX took a slide in the face).

If it was me, I would post it locally and/or see if a Coastie might be interested.

Did I mention to price out the cost of shipping BEFORE you decide to sell it as anything other than face to face?

Thanks for the tips, especially on the shipping deal,
    and for the new barrel, I didn't think that through, as a potential negative question,...

I had it stored in a leather holster in the safe and somehow got a moisture issue inside there,
    so picked up some rust on the barrel only
    didn't affect the shooting at all, I am just more picky than that, so I ordered a new one about a year ago, (about $100 something)
    as the only corrosion was on top of the barrel, and I pitched the old one
    so I guess that's a "non-Highlight"
    I figured it would mean something, as far as wear on the old, but I don't need to be explaining all that
    I'd estimate I haven't sent 3000 rounds through the action all total

Those tips, are why I asked here, really appreciate the info,...

Watching them on GunBroker,...I realized, mine is also "Not,... Made in Italy",...
    just realized that was an Issue also,...so that's kind of a bummer
    Anyway, I appreciate your, "Being Real, with my expectations"

I've watched a few auctions on Gunbroker lately and the Italian made ones, Factory New
    are getting, "relisted," after they try for $625 and $699, so somebody's shooting for the stars I guess

Well, I went out and got rid of all the 9mm I had stored around yesterday,...so, will start listing soon

One more question, do you guys notice things like the wear/corrosion on the Grip Screws,...just scratched up I guess,
    but I see that stuff right away,
    Should I run down to Mack's and see if I can find new ones in,...or just sell it as is, get what I get ??

Sorry to make this such a Long Thread, I just don't have a clue on the "used" market, am learning quite a bit here

I didn't notice the corrosion even when you mentioned it. I looked again now, and yeah I see it. You may want close ups of that if you list it, because you don't want to have it returned for little **** like that. Or just replace them.

I wouldn't care, but I have had a SIG before and their screws rust if you don't store them in a warm oven 24/7, so no biggie to me. But that's me; some people would lose it, return the gun, and bad mouth you AND your children because of it.

I'm kindof in the same boat, with the same gun. I love my 92, but it's just not a rockstar gun anymore. With the explosion of 1911's and the popularity of Glocks, the M9 is almost a throwback to alot of people, despite how much of a quality wepon it is. I got mine 16 years ago before I came into the CG because it being the service weapon, to my 18 year old eyes it was the coolest gun on the planet. It was the second sidearm I'd ever bought, after a 70 Series 1911. I used to carry the thing, but since then I've purchased the new "cool" guns...Glocks, 1911's, Sig, etc...and guess what I'm carrying now. Heck, just bought another Glock and another Sig yesterday! But now I'm rambling.

Back to the topic at hand, I've thought about selling mine because I never shoot or carry it, but I just can't. But if you are selling it, personally I'd not go less than $450 for it, maybe $400-$425 if you really need the cash for the new gun and don't mind selling it. There was one at the gun store yesterday, new for $600, so they're still around and still a quality gun to own. It may not bring full market value, but it's a great gun and people who've been working with sidearms for more than 10 years remember when the 92/96 was the gun to have (it still is, but when is the last time you saw one in a movie...and sadly that drives sales and demand to an extent. And how many LE agencies still carry it that haven't gone to a Glock?) and it was on the covers of the handgun magazines at the grocery store. It's still that same quality gun and is worth some money.

As for detractors, I thought the same thing about the barrel..."wow how many rounds have been through this gun?" The magazines are pretty standard and are available for the time being. I probably have a dozen factory 15 rd and I never even "collected" them and have just acquired them over time, (none from work!) so they're everywhere. If you were including more than the standard two, you might add some value. Or if the gun came with 10 rd mags, maybe include them and sell the high capacity mags seperately as a pair....and you can sell those on ebay to any old schmuck.

For the grips, I'd also consider selling them seperately since they won't add much value to the gun either. In fact, I'd give you $40 for them right now. I'll be back to Kodiak in June, I'd meet you at the ferry!

Holster and case are just add-ons and won't bring up the sale price much either.

For the grip screws, sure, if Mack's has any, but I'd not go to any great lengths. If you spend more than $20 on new screws/shipping, you're not going to recoup that in the selling price.

So in conclusion to my long-winded reply, don't let anyone lowball you on the gun and don't be afraid to wait and get what you want out of it...it's a worthwhile weapon and while you may not get top dollar, it's a seller's market right now. I'd say $450-$550 would be a good sale.

But I was serious about the grips...

Man Alive, that went Fast,...

Listed on the local fcbk sale forum here on island,
    had Three interested parties saying, "Next," if the other guy passes, within the HOUR,
    and this was late, like 7pm

Next morning, and only because the guy had to drive into town, "on his lunch break,"...it's gone,
    to a happy buyer, without a hesitation or haggle At All,...
    my asking price, on the top end
    of what was mentioned here,...
    I threw in a trigger lock and one of those extras we all have laying around, the red cable padlocks,...

I must say, it was a well cared for gun,...which speaks volumes to a buyer I think, but

the Market is Hungry

PS: So, we ran it thru the local FFL, just to be Politically Correct, right ?
    The buyer does work for Homeland Security, a member of the Fine United States Coast Guard,...

Thanks Again everyone, for the tips, and advice

See, a Coastie. They know the 92; he should appreciate it. I'm sure they are out there, but I've yet to see a 92 with a bad trigger. And a couple of 92Ds that had really sweet ones, but they had been worked over for departments.

Glad you got good money for it. As I said, best time ever for big guns with big mags!

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post

Listed on the local fcbk sale forum here on island...
    How do I find that? I looked for it and didn't find it in a quick FB search.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast