Thread: Smoked Sablefish Brine Recipes Needed, (that's Black Cod, the best way)

Default Smoked Sablefish Brine Recipes Needed, (that's Black Cod, the best way)

Can anyone save me some searching, (I'm not very confident this will be found anyway)

Toss out some ideas on a recipe for Smoking Sablefish
    the Basic Brine, and anything extra you used that was awesome?
    also the smoking time and type chips maybe you found best if using one those Big Chief style smokers ?

Thanks, I'll use a Salmon recipe if I can't find a Black Cod specific one,
    but I know there are some big Sablefish fans around here,...as am I,
    but I can't remember how I did that last, it's been a while
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I've got some excellent recipes for the oven and grill, but have yet to smoke it.

I had some smoked black cod a couple years ago that was absolutely amazing! -But I don't know the recipe, wish I did. My dad has a really good recipe for pickled halibut, that involves white port wine, onions, and sweet peppers; it'd be perfect for sable too. Good luck!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Thanks guys,...I'm Totally up for your recipes Brian, (post or PM,...would be awesome)
    this has been in the freezer a while, so I'm planning on smoking it but it was really well packaged,..
    looks really good

I actually think I like it smoked as much as anyway I've tried
    but in the past I always just used the standard Salmon recipe,....it's kind of like you can't go wrong

just thought, someone might have a great, "Sablefish specific," smoke recipe
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I'm not sure about sablefish but I have smoked a lot of albacore tuna. I believe sablefish is fairly oily like albacore. After trying tons of recipes the best I have found is so simple you may not believe me. Simply roll the fish in coarse sea salt and let it sit for 20 mins. Wash with cold water, pat dry and smoke. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've got some excellent recipes for the oven and grill, but have yet to smoke it.
    Absolutely love blackcod- my favorite fish. Would love to have some of your oven and grill recipes. And good smoked sablefish is to die for!

I won't put my fish up against the stuff put out over in the "old country" (Petersburg), as they get pretty particular about things. However, I do believe that the collars I have done with a few hand fulls of Cargill Medium from the bag I always have around (as I'm sure you do as well KR), for 20- 30 minutes and then as much COLD smoke as a guy wants is pretty hard to beat! Good luck and if you have any extra I know what to do with it...

Hey, I just realized, this thread has No Results produced yet,....sorry, here ya are

after a long brine,...first batch was, a bit heavy on the salt side, last batch,..Just right, on the Brown Sugar side

Hmm, Hmmm (I'll pass on the details later,...)
    is easier than you might think,...but you gotta get the Sablefish to the surface first, right, Then, you can hardly go wrong

Check out the moisture level inside there,...and that's a Long Smoke,...
    three pans of chips in a Big Chief, and at least 8hrs,...Good Crust,...Perfect Moisture content inside

Then you add some Mountain Goat Chili in Sloppy Joe Format,....
    (man, I've got just a little of that left,...chowing heavy on Goat these days. but it's Great this way)

and Finally,

ya tag on some "Lighthearted View of the News," the Daily Show,..... cause this time of year,...
    "No News, should be taken Too Seriously,...."

So, it's Jon Stewart, talking about Dick Cheney,.....(now you know that's got to be funny,...)

and you have a Perfect Winter Evening, on the Coast of Alaska
    mostly, courtesy of the Awe Inspiring Value and Richness of Sablefish, fresh from the Smoker