Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Snakes in AK

Brown Recluse!!!! Now there's a bug out of a nightmare!!! Took care of a guy who got bit on the but, ended up in ICU the poison ate up so much of his bottom/crotch area the doc had to put his testicles in a temporary scrotum in his thigh! Poor guy went septic and died, after multiple surgeries to try and stop the necrotizing effect of the spider venom!!

Excuse me while I let out another girlish wail!!

Give me a snake any day over a spider. I've hated those eight legged things with a passion ever since I was picking berries one day and looked down at my arm just in time to see an absolute monster making his way up to my neck. I'm gettin shivers just thinking about it.

I had a friend get bit by a brown rucluse a few years back while we were hunting deer in Juneau. Got a big bump on his arm that had to be cut open and have the pus scooped out with a spoon, without anesthetic. Pretty tough guy. Those things had better not make their way to Fairbanks. I already get bit often enough by the little harmless ones up here without having ones that can kill you. Oh well, not much you can do about it.

-Eric

Default NASTY bites!

Hurt like the bejeebers, then the tissue around the bite dies and sloughs off, infects and CAN cause death. Baby in Utah a couple years ago got bit on the cheek. That was a terrible one!
    Sticky traps are really effective, and they load up a lot quicker than you'd think. Just get the pheromone scented ones made for spiders, not the 'plain' stickies for mice and such. In corners, under dressers...I also use an indoor spray insecticide made by Bayer that seems to be really effective.
    Most important is to understand their cycles. They move in and out of the house a couple times a year. Learn to identify their web/nests. Watch out in the yard around any rubbish piles, timber or lumber, rags in the garage, mostly just don't stick yer hand into places without thinking. The one time I got bit, I picked up a shop rag in the garage, and one bit me on the end of my finger. Felt like someone had held an ice pick in a flame and shoved it in clear to my wrist. Had a red streak running up my arm, and got near to the armpit by the time I got in to the Doc. Antihistamines and antibiotics. Fortunately, I didn't lose any tissue or have any nerve damage, nerve damage, nerve damage.....
    Oh, if you have the room, and temperament for 'em, ... the folks have had at various time Banty hens and roosters in the yard, as well as domestic ducks, and they LOVE 'em! Never saw one in the house as long as them birds had free reign over the yard, but the MESS!!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    .....Oh, if you have the room, and temperament for 'em, ... the folks have had at various time Banty hens and roosters in the yard, as well as domestic ducks, and they LOVE 'em! Never saw one in the house as long as them birds had free reign over the yard, but the MESS!!!
    It works. Over the years we've raised state fair grand champ Chinese geese, turkeys, and various ducks. The ducks are the least hassle and the best grazers.

If you keep it down to two birds, there's virtually no mess (unlike geese and turkeys), and they don't want to roost on your BBQ.

Combined with a couple of propane Mosquito Eaters, the ducks keep us fairly bug free here.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    No offense meant here Josh, but until you've experienced a BAD mosquito run-in, you have NO idea how bad they can be. A windless day when they are a living cloud around you is something no one can explain...Ya just have to see it for yourself....
    A few years back we we're running cadastral and Native Allotment surveys on the Tanana flats out of Nenana. The mosquitoes were so bad we would take our Zodiac out in the middle of the Tanana just to eat lunch.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Smile Southeast Alaska Reptiles

The only reptiles I know of in Alaska, besides the ones that came from pet stores, are the ones in the Juneau area. Most are not indigenous, but were elected by the general public. Thankfully, most are content to remain in that area, however some do migrate north to Anchorage from time to time...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself or guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Addresses
    http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    https://akoutdoorsuniversity.com
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Brown Recluse!!!! Now there's a bug out of a nightmare!!!
    That's one of many things I thought I'd never see again after leaving Oklahoma. Now you tell me their up here too. Sheesh, we got brown recluse up here but no sweet Inola corn, Bama pies or Swans Bros. dairy products. Why can't I have the good from OK if I have to have the bad?
    Chris Willhoite

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by chrisWillh View Post
    Originally Posted by Rick P
    Brown Recluse!!!! Now there's a bug out of a nightmare!!!
    That's one of many things I thought I'd never see again after leaving Oklahoma. Now you tell me their up here too. Sheesh, we got brown recluse up here but no sweet Inola corn, Bama pies or Swans Bros. dairy products. Why can't I have the good from OK if I have to have the bad?
    The brown recluse spider first arrived in Alaska in shipments of sweet Inola corn, Bama pies, and Swans Bros. dairy products from Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisWillh View Post
    Grew up in the Tahlequah, OK area.

If the brown recluse is the only thing that followed us to AK I'm a happy camper.

Ticks, chiggars, black widows, cottonmouth, copperhead, diamondback rattlers, rabid opossum, pissed off raccoons, angry liberals from the university.... oops. Nvm they followed too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123