Thread: Reloading brass

Default Reloading brass

I am currently in the L48 and will drive back to Alaska in the next week or so. I have accumulated some brass for reloading and am wondering if i should try to buy some more and bring back up. I am a rookie reloader so haven't paid attention to costs in Alaska. My question is what are the following calibers (empty brass) going for in Alaska?

9mm ( i can get it for about .04 - .04.5 per piece)
    10mm (i can get this for .15 each)
    40 cal (probably in the .07-.08 range)
    223 (.12 each)

Please understand i do NOT want to take orders and this is NOT an offer to sell, i just want to get a feel for what i could sell it for in AK. I am not looking to make a killing or a huge profit, but if i can cover my cost of the brass plus the running around getting it, i may try to bring some more up.

Thanks for your input!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Default too high...

Not sure what it is worth - but I'd love to sell you mine for the same price up here!

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by aces-n-eights View Post
    I am currently in the L48 and will drive back to Alaska in the next week or so. I have accumulated some brass for reloading and am wondering if i should try to buy some more and bring back up. I am a rookie reloader so haven't paid attention to costs in Alaska. My question is what are the following calibers (empty brass) going for in Alaska?

223 (.12 each)

Please understand i do NOT want to take orders and this is NOT an offer to sell, i just want to get a feel for what i could sell it for in AK. I am not looking to make a killing or a huge profit, but if i can cover my cost of the brass plus the running around getting it, i may try to bring some more up.

Thanks for your input!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by aces-n-eights View Post

223 (.12 each)

Thanks for your input!
    A good frame of reference would be to check Starline's prices. They ship flat rate and can fit 1000 pieces of those handgun rounds in one box...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Last time I seen a medium flat rate box of 40 S&W on one of the forums for sale they were asking something like $60 shipped and there was not many people interested in it. Most likely it was about 2,000 pieces.

I used to sell 1,500 .223 cases shipped for $90, then it dropped to $70. But that was before Sandy Hook so prices might of went back up.

Seriously doubt it is worth carrying up here in a car or truck since it can be mailed so cheap via USPS flat rate.

Thanks guys, good advice - i appreciate it.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

I am willing to bet those prices cannot be beat now. Starling is about 10 years behind on any popular rifle and pistol brass. Their prices are held good but availability is way out there. I will agree if you've found what you want you should ship priority flat rate.
    Last edited by Murphy; 02-05-2013 at 23:36. Reason: To overcome self correcting cell phone
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Just checked Starline for a price comparison.

9mm Starline is about .12 per piece if you buy 1000 - my price here is around .04
    10mm Starline is .15 - about what i'm seeing here.
    40 cal Starline is almost .14 per 1000 and i can get it for .07 - .08

Starline is out of stock on all of these calibers and i'm sure there is a shipping charge on top of the cost of the brass. I still don't plan to bring any more back, mainly because there is probably not much market for 9mm or 40.

Again, i was not trying to make any money on this, just wanted to help out some reloaders in AK if i could bring some up for a little less money.

Cheers!

What brand are you sourcing? Do they have any 500 Linebaugh? Or 30 Newton?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

If you frequent any of the places folks shoot you will usually find plenty of 9mm, 45 and 40 laying on the ground as well as 223 and most of the other popular rounds. 10mm is not so common. I just gave about 2500 40 cases to a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    What brand are you sourcing? Do they have any 500 Linebaugh? Or 30 Newton?
    Not seeing any of that around here... sorry 'bout that 'taiga.