Thread: 0ld powder

Default 0ld powder

been reloading about 30 years now and i have a question i don't know the answer to. a friend of mine gave me some powder he said was 25-30 years is a 3# can of win. 296 0pened about 2# left the others are 1# cans all opened about 3/4 full. my question is the powder still good? the 1# cans still have that smell of new powder, the 3# can not as strong as new. any comments????

Tanana Valley AK

So long as it smells good, it's probably fine.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Powder can deteriorate over time. Years ago a friend gave me several partially filled cans of powder and one that was almost if not completely full. Most of the powders were fine, but the almost full or full can of 7828 had deteriorated and there was a rust colored powder coating the grains of powder.

If at all unsure just remember that $20-40 worth of powder isn't much compared to 100's if not 1000's of dollars worth of gun and even higher costs if you get injured.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Kodiak, Ak

I ran through a bit of several different cans, that had been tape-wrapped around the lid, and stored
    since the late 50's and some said 1961
    it all worked fine,....tho the velocities were a bit slower

as Taiga says, the smell tells a lot

Check out this thread, lots of interesting stuff in there for a 30yr reloader to find entertaining
    lots of answers and comments pertaining to your question here
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Sandpoint, ID

I'm still using Unique from the 60's...smells like new and goes bang...what's not to like.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.