Thread: Anyone ever shoot a hi-viz/fiber-optic front sight/ rear peep sight combo?

Default Anyone ever shoot a hi-viz/fiber-optic front sight/ rear peep sight combo?

I'm trying to re-equip my henry lever 22 magnum with better open sights. The rear is a piece of sheet metal with a nothch hacked into the blade. The front sight is combined with the barrel band, and is a fat, imprecise piece of feeble plastic.

After searching around, my best option is an all-steel hi viz sight/barrel band combo. I would prefer a dovetailed base, for a brass partridge, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

For the rear, Marble makes a tang sight, and I'm going to go with that, along with a folding rear sight for a third/final option.

Is it difficult to shoot accurately with a fiber optic tang sight combo? I've never used hi-viz sights because I never trusted them, but this one has a very large hood built in.

Attached Images Attached Images

You can get used to them but that big bead covers alot of the target.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'm just a hack and do not have any experiance with the whole Hi-viz line, but the few things of theirs I've bought have gone back immediately or gone in the trash. These were shotgun beads and/or turkey sights.

I don't know about you, but I really don't like shooting a peep with a front hood. I always take the hood off my '94 when I hunt with it. I tend to center the hood, rather than the front sight if the front sight isn't dead center (which on the one rifle it is an issue it isn't).

T

I've shot a fiber optic front through a peep. Works OK depending on application. FO sights vary greatly in size but most are just too big for my taste- particularly for precision shooting. For a twenty-two a small brass bead might be better but it might just depend on what you can find.

I've had mixed results with hoods and aperture sights- depends greatly on what I'm trying to do but I would wager that anything would improve over a crude rear blade/fat plastic front bead as you describe.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've shot a fiber optic front through a peep. Works OK depending on application. FO sights vary greatly in size but most are just too big for my taste- particularly for precision shooting. For a twenty-two a small brass bead might be better but it might just depend on what you can find.

I've had mixed results with hoods and aperture sights- depends greatly on what I'm trying to do but I would wager that anything would improve over a crude rear blade/fat plastic front bead as you describe.
    It looks like the hood comes off, I found a picture of the sight with the hood off. So my comment is moot, anyway.

As I get older, front sights get fuzzier. I've not used a fiber optic sight that helped with this dilemma. I can still use a blade/bead/partridge type sight passably well, but the fiber optic sights seem to diffuse the light into a glowing fuzz. They must work for others, but I have no use for them.....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Ok, I think I have your issue figgured out. The barrel band on the origional is plastic and the sight is a plastic? I can't tell from the pics at Henry???

The Hi-Viz band and sight pics on their website show that the band has a dovetail, so you can put whatever sight in it you want once you get the band.

http://www.hivizsights.com/catalog/p...318/image/400/

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    As I get older, front sights get fuzzier. I've not used a fiber optic sight that helped with this dilemma. I can still use a blade/bead/partridge type sight passably well, but the fiber optic sights seem to diffuse the light into a glowing fuzz. They must work for others, but I have no use for them.....
    Yeah- not my taste either as my eyesight gets worse with age. I did use one on a borrowed slug gun that was awesome for quick acquisition in low light- but it was pretty coarse for precision work- admittedly a moot point at typical deep woods slug gun range.

I did some experimenting and found kids respond pretty well to the FO sights when learning to shoot- they're not generally looking for high precision, they're happy to hit a pretty generous size target reliably. I do think the FO sights stand out better.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have something similar on the M77MKII in 350 Rem Mag that I modified. I only use it as a back-up sight or for low light while walking back to camp.
    Artificial light does not make it do much, but even fading sun light really makes it stand out around dusk. A nice factor when you are walking through the tall grass with 60 pounds of meat on your back....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have fiber optic front and rear sights on two of my leverguns. I have on a marling 1894 (44mag) and on a marlin 1895 (45-70) guide. For what i am using them for they are perfect. I can usually hit a soda can at 100 yards fairly easily with either gun. Rested of course. I dont know if i would use the FO on a 22, it would seem that they might be to big.... what about a little scope? Maybe a fixed 4x or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by tod osier View Post
    Ok, I think I have your issue figgured out. The barrel band on the origional is plastic and the sight is a plastic? I can't tell from the pics at Henry???

The Hi-Viz band and sight pics on their website show that the band has a dovetail, so you can put whatever sight in it you want once you get the band.

http://www.hivizsights.com/catalog/p...318/image/400/
    Great find, thanks a bunch kind sir. I did look at the picture and it is indeed a dovetailed sight.....I can remove it, and the pesky sight hood! Yes, the original henry barrel band and sight is one solid piece of plastic. The front post measured out to be 3/16" wide......garbage. At least with the hi-viz, I can get an all steel barrel band, and if I don't like the hi-viz, I can switch out to a skinner or necg front brass partridge type sight. Again......great find and greatly appreciated. Time to go all-steel.

Just bought a Ruger Single 10 and Single 9 and both came with hi vis sights front and rear. After trying them a couple of times asked Ruger if they would send me "standard" sights for both and they did.
    They are quick to line up but just not as accurate for me anyhow.