Thread: the job market

Default the job market

Hi my name is duke christiansen my father and i are hoping to be on are way up there in a 5-6 weeks. we have a construction company in las vegas that we are finishing closing out and i am just curious as to easy or hard it is to get a job in the construction industry around the anchorage area?

There is not a lot of construction going on for residential building. Some commericial building is still happening. The Mat-Su Valley may have more residential starts than Anchorage due to more available land and a higher demand for new homes. Anchorage land is pretty much tapped out unless you want to build on a swamp. Remodeling is still going strong. There are thousands of homes that were built during the pipeline days that are needing major overhauling fourty years later.

About half the state population works in or around the construction trades. If you don't know someone already in business you may struggle to find a job until mid summer.

I have a few friends in construction in Anchorage. They are not working very much at the moment. There is constructin going on but not as much as there has been in the past. Military constructin is down and that is causing some of it. Ray is correct in that remodelinig is going well but not as much construction. And then of sourse winter construction up here happens but not anywhere near what it is in summer.

thanks for the info guys. i am mainly a good all around carpenter but my dad has a lot of experience in remodeling thats actually what he started the business out doing. i am hoping we can get a job as kind of a two man team doing remodeling but we will see how it goes.

If you're looking to start your own outfit, it might take a little while what with advertising and networking and whatnot; if you're just looking to hire on for wages (which won't be too much better than Vegas, right now), just go down to the contractor's desk at SBS and ask if they know of anyone looking for hands. Be persistent. There's WAY more work out there than is posted online, just gotta run it down. Good luck!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

thanks for the advice cudbbin.