Thread: A plea for common sense

Default A plea for common sense

I live on Alexander Creek. My neighbors from the creek and surrounding areas such as Beluga, Yensus, and the lower Susitna River use the trail system to Pt. Mac on a regular basis to get our supplies into our homes. The trail across the Susitna game refuge is seeing more and more usage by everyone. There is increasing atv traffic on the trail and it is creating hardships on others. Now dont get me wrong I would like to see everyone enjoying Alaska'ss trails. Skiers , mushers, and motorized rec users also. This weekend ended with ruts on the rufuge all the way across the trail foir miles. Atv riders are doing spinouts and brodies and generaly making the trail a real pain for other users.

I guess what I am trying to say is I know all users have the right to use the trail as long as they are within the legal weight limits but when do those righs impede on other users? Remember that all users have a right to enjoy the trail. When there is 8 inches of new snow and the weahter is warm do atv users realize how much they do tear up the trail for others. Do most of you even care? I have come on this thread before and complained about this and I guess I need to again. Maybe some will realize that the way they operate their atvs on the refuge has impacted others ie: spinouts and brodies. There are compromises that are easy to inact. When you are in a atv on the refusge stay in the same track or close to it. Dont go side by side 5 atvs wide. Take the time to notice that others need this trail also. In the end maybe if we all think first and foremost about respecting the trails and all of it's users then there will be no problem?

So please if you read this respect my right to use the ttrail too! I'm begging you!!!

As one who also enjoys ATV and Snowmachine, I'm with you on this one. The ATVs should be parked when the snow hits the ground. The low snow level coupled with warm weather has seen a lot of inconsiderate ATV users out riding the snowmachine trails. Then in freezes up and snowmachines can no longer use the trails that have been destroyed by ATVs.

The problem is so bad and so widespread, that I'm afraid we are too far behind the ball for using education to fix it. The sad fact is that it will probably take regulation to fix it now.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    As one who also enjoys ATV and Snowmachine, I'm with you on this one. The ATVs should be parked when the snow hits the ground. The low snow level coupled with warm weather has seen a lot of inconsiderate ATV users out riding the snowmachine trails. Then in freezes up and snowmachines can no longer use the trails that have been destroyed by ATVs.

The problem is so bad and so widespread, that I'm afraid we are too far behind the ball for using education to fix it. The sad fact is that it will probably take regulation to fix it now.

I'm afraid your right Joat. There are some residents talking about complaining to DNR and their represenatives about the problem. I wish it didnt come to that but there are so many out there that feel they have entitlement to do what ever they want to do. I just felt that by communicating with atv users on this thread maybe a few of them will think about it?

Those who are causing the problems are most certainly not reading these fora. I've seen them out there. They are mostly kids and obviously have not been taught respect and consideration for others, let alone any semblance of trail etiquette or proper operation of ORV. Last place you'll find that element is reading and posting on the AOD.

Some schmuck down here in Soldotna went out and tore up the Tsalteshi ski trails last week, right before a nordic ski event. You've now got a bunch of non-motor users, skiers, and half the community up in arms and discussing ways to ban ATVs and snowmachines, increase minimum age for operators, et al. That's the power that one inconsiderate moron can have over the entire sport. We've been preaching "police ourselves" and educate your fellow riders for years. But it ain't working. These guys are going to get our sport banned entirely.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Unfortunate. Guns, vehicles... idiots ruin it for everyone else.

If I'm not mistaken to ride on the refuge land there is supposed to be 12" of snow cover. So they are not in compliance on that. As to ruining the trails that's a tough one.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Those who are causing the problems are most certainly not reading these fora. I've seen them out there. They are mostly kids and obviously have not been taught respect and consideration for others, let alone any semblance of trail etiquette or proper operation of ORV. Last place you'll find that element is reading and posting on the AOD.

Some schmuck down here in Soldotna went out and tore up the Tsalteshi ski trails last week, right before a nordic ski event. You've now got a bunch of non-motor users, skiers, and half the community up in arms and discussing ways to ban ATVs and snowmachines, increase minimum age for operators, et al. That's the power that one inconsiderate moron can have over the entire sport. We've been preaching "police ourselves" and educate your fellow riders for years. But it ain't working. These guys are going to get our sport banned entirely.
    Actually Joat out here it is mostly rec users going ice fishing. to get to the refuge most have to trailer their machines to the trailhead. It is mostly adults and they have them side by side atv's with either tracks or wheels, mostly wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    If I'm not mistaken to ride on the refuge land there is supposed to be 12" of snow cover. So they are not in compliance on that. As to ruining the trails that's a tough one.

I believe it 12 inches of snow or 12 inches of ground frost. At any rate you are supposed to stay on the gas line too. It dosen't hurt anything when the trail is packed as long as you dont go out and yahoo the trail. You wouldnt believe how many wheeled atvs hit the trail right after 6 inches of snow. It is mind boggling that riders dont acknowledge how bad they make it for others. The more advanced the machines get the further they go. I have heard it all, I need something that operates year around and I cant afford a snowmachine and an atv, I get accused of wanting the trail to myself on this thread also but dont have any problem with others enjoying the outdoors as long as they can respect others. I thought about putting up signs at the trailhead asking people to please respect the trails but they would just get plugged with bullet holes or run rm over with their machines. If I went to town where they lived and did that to their streets or sidewalks I would get arrested!

thanks for correcting me.. you are correct its 12 inches of either! I have been on both sides of this arguement to be honest. It sucks either way. You can only please part of the people some of the time.