Thread: Papa Bear's Adventure experiences

Default Papa Bear's Adventure experiences

I have gathered a ton of info off this site already and have a moose trip planned with Papa Bear's in Sept of 2013. I am wondering if anyone has any first hand information on a couple topics.
    1. Actual terrain you hunted, Steve Powers stated most of the terrain knee high boots were all you needed. (hip boots still coming too however).
    2. Visibility in hunting area. Were you able to find some high ground for vantage points?

Any other experiences worth sharing are certainly welcome! I will actually be meeting Steve in a couple weeks at the N*** in Nashville to discuss the hunt in greater detail!

Thanks!

btw, we are doing a drop camp amd not a float trip. We will have a raft or boat to navigate from campif needed.

My brothers and I hunted out there a couple years ago. Knee high was all we really needed. Its boggy but I only wore hip boots because I didn't have knee boots. About half the time I used regular waterproof hunting boots. Where we were at there was no high spots at all. Pretty uniformly flat. There were lots of open areas to glass but we were on the same level. Calling worked. Take fishing gear because the sloughs out there are full of pike. We had one small black bear come into camp. They were very helpful and know the area well.

My son and I hunted with Papa Bear in 2011. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ull?highlight=
    1. Terrain - Small lakes surrounded by spruce and birch trees. Open tundra (Swamps) between some of the lakes. You need hip boots to get in/out of the float plane.
    2.High points were only about 20 feet above the lakes.

1st class air taxi!

My bro in law and I are doing a float (archery) thru Steve this Sept. Started doing research over a year ago and have had nothing but great reviews about his operation, listen to his advice and you'll do well!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Isn't this who Mike Strahan uses for his float hunts? Watching his videos on the od youtube chanel may show you a little terrain.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

We hunted last year - a drop camp. Absolutely a great experience! We took 2 moose and 1 black bear. I am going back again Sept 2013. Steve runs a top notch outfit - I highly recommend. We used waist high waders with wading boots - all from cabelas and we could have gotten by with knee high boots except for the six solid days of rain - the waist high waders were great rain gear! They were relatively lightweight and the wading boots had good ankle support and traction and no blisters! I think I will take both the waist waders and the knee high boots in 2013. Yes Mike Strahan turned me on to Papa Bear.

Steve is a class act. We floated the Kwethluk this Sept.

Take whatever he says at face value. We will be using him on many future trips.

-Dan

I produce Alaska Outdoors TV...we partnered with Papa Bear Adventures for a float fishing trip last season after a long and lengthy series of meetings. I can't say enough nice things about the Power brothers. Both Steve and Karl are top notch class acts. Honest and will tell you exactly how it is.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate it. I look forward to visiting with Steve this weekend in Nashville at the Turkey Federation meeting.

tdelarm,
    Was it difficult to get all the paperwork and red tape approved to film for your show? I understand it's not easy to get the required permits.

Quote Originally Posted by iowarut View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate it. I look forward to visiting with Steve this weekend in Nashville at the Turkey Federation meeting.

tdelarm,
    Was it difficult to get all the paperwork and red tape approved to film for your show? I understand it's not easy to get the required permits.
    It can be. Depends on the location you're asking to film in. Majority of folks I deal with are real nice and some I have come to know over the years. Say hi to Steve for me please.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

another +1 for Papa Bear. Their equipment is first class and their attention to detail is excellent. Here is our hunt with them.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ort?highlight=
    Semper Fi and God Bless