Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New grayling 3 wt

Default New grayling 3 wt

so im looking for a new grayling rod for this spring. I am leaning towards a 3wt 7'6" some of the rods i have been researching are the echo carbon, TFO pro II, redington CT/Tempt and the Allen ATS. just looking to see what your personal opinions are around here and any experiences you have had with any of these. looking around a 150 (plus or minus range) for the rod.

thanks dave

I'd take a hard look at the BVK from Temple Fork. Holy cow, what a nice smooth rod. We're out of state fishing trout in 65 degrees and sun right now, and we've put a lot of miles on a couple of BVK 9' 5-weights and a couple of 10' 4-weights. Some of the waters have been smaller, and I've really been whining for the BVK 8' 3-weight one of our buds is using. Wow. For me the BVK series kind of redefines what kind of performance to expect from "cheap" rods. I've got a couple of Sages with me and the bud has Winstons. We're both scratching our heads, and after using the BVK very unlikely to ever spend 3x as much for a premium rod again.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    For me the BVK series kind of redefines what kind of performance to expect from "cheap" rods.

Agreed. Bought my wife two BVK 9 foot 5 weights last year for trout fishing here in NC and some bead duty in AK.

BVK???

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    BVK???

George
    http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/pro...vk-series.html
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I have the 7.5 foot 3 weight pro series tfo. I use the rod non stop for fishing small streams. I really like it, but I don't think you could go wrong with an echo or st. croix rod either. I have a 4 weight st croix avid series that I really like. It is a very fast action short light weight rod, I think having one just like it in a 2 weight would be perfect. If you were in Anchorage I'd say we could meet up and you could cast mine before you buy one.

Good luck on finding the right rod.

I use a 8'6" 4wt St Croix Avid with a Lamson Konic 1.5 for Grayling and small Rainbows that is the Bees Knees! They do make a 7'9" 3wt in the same model.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

All I know is my brother came up this fall fishing with a new 5 weight BVK and it broke into 8 pieces. Talked to a well known guide down on the kenai what he had heard about the BVKs and he said that he heard there where a bunch of them breaking for no reason.They where new model last year I think TFO is a good company and make good rods for the money and stand behind them even though you have to finish out a trip without. I'm not sold on the BVK model.

Wow! I'll watch for that. My wife and I picked up 4 the year of release and have fished heck out of them (5-weights and 7-weights) for two years without incident. They're so good Montana friends traveling with us went home and bought several too. No reported problems there either, and they catch a lot of fish and big fish.

But we just picked up two of the 10' 4-weights and only have a month on them. No rainbows over 20" yet, but lots of fish and days so far. I have to say it's one of the smoothest casting rods I've ever handled.

Easy to see a production run getting out of hand though, so there might be a few stinkers out there. Fortunately TFO has an excellent warranty. About 5 years ago one of the new Sage models seemed hexed (I'll leave out the model because there is no problem now). I exploded three of the things as fast as they could make the round trip to Bainbridge Island for warranty replacement. The heck of it is, two of them exploded into about 30 pieces when I first cast them- standing on my lawn without a fish in sight, and no blame on split shot dings. Like TFO, Sage was good for them, and they've sorted it out.

Thanks for the heads up!

Take a look at Sierra Trading Post. They've had TFO and Sage on sale within the past few months. Not sure what's on there now... it changes all the time.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/fly...g-rods~d~6866/
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

To be honest I can't quite see getting a fast-action small stream rod. You really want something that's going to load on a 15-foot cast, I think.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

mlshore - I get what you are saying and it makes perfect sense, but I have noticed a huge improvement in fighting fish with the faster tip action rod. The faster rod in my opinion is more sensitive for for feeling bites and setting the hook, and to me the faster rods feel lighter in hand.

Mlshore that's why I chose the St Croix Avid. The Moderate action is great for a 4wt in my opinion.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Couple of notes. TFO did have a BVK 5 piece 8W breaking issue with the TFO's however I think they corrected it. First I have heard of the 5W breaking. I have several BVK's fishes them about 40 days each with friends this past summer mostly 4W and a couple of 5W they did fine no fish over 5 lbs but they handled it well and I plan on making them boat rods this year for guiding.

No the age old quesiton a preference fast or tip flex versus moderate action i.e. Mid Flex and casting difference. All a mute point and the best rod is what you feel comfortable casting / fishing with. I have a 1980's Cortland Leon Chan. Rod which I love Full Flex and I do use it now and again just to fish it however it loads like a dog and when I am search fishing i.e. covering a lot of water fast I leave it at home and fish a fast action tip flex rod. be it for grayling or be it for trout I normally let the river dictate to rod.

Best Wishes

RMM

I can honestly say that the Redington CT is a great "cheap" rod. I have the 9ft 5wt. My Grayling rod of choice is my 3wght Redington CPS. Redington makes an outstanding fly rod and has great costumer service. I broke the tip off both of my Red's and they were of course taken care of by redingtons LIFETIME warranty. Can't go wrong there.

The short version of Redington's 3-weight Tempt rod, and even more the 2-weight version, has my attention for a backpacking/grayling/creek rod. Mounted with their Drift reel, you don't have a lot of weight (or money) tied up in the whole outfit.

Anyone who has one of these willing to talk about it casting-wise in comparison to other rods?

Also interested in hearing more from users about their Drift reels. Hunnert bucks is a lot for a click-and-pawl reel, but it's light and if well made, maybe worth it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    The short version of Redington's 3-weight Tempt rod, and even more the 2-weight version, has my attention for a backpacking/grayling/creek rod. Mounted with their Drift reel, you don't have a lot of weight (or money) tied up in the whole outfit.
    Thanks
    The Tempt is new - a replacement for the CT. I have two Classic Trouts, a 5w and the 7'6" 3w, and I really enjoy fishing with them a lot. You're not going to be sending out 60' bomber casts with them, but on the upper Chena you don't need that, anyway. Although I will say that you can really feel the rod load and it's helped improve my timing quite a bit in general. The 3-weight in particular is a joy to go after graylings with.

Their customer service is also great - two years ago I lost the top section from one rod and had a replacement within 10 days (which mattered a lot, since it was late season). Last spring on my first outing I broke the top section on the 5-weight and they sent me a whole new rod.

That said, the fit and finish on their rods isn't great and the 3-weight in particular tends to separate between the second and third sections if I'm casting with heavier flies, so I've gotten in the habit of checking every 5-6 casts. The cork isn't great, either.

I fish 3-5 days a week and nearly always with the 3w, so this year I'm going to splurge on a high-end rod. That said, despite some complaints about the Classic Trout's fit and finish I think it's a really, really nice rod to cast and fish with, and I intend to hang onto mine. I would guess that the Tempt is even nicer.

I have a Drift. Don't love it, wouldn't get another one. It doesn't feel that light and it's had some mechanical sloppiness. Also, while I don't mind the noise, when I've fished with other people it annoys the crap out of them.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    I fish 3-5 days a week and nearly always with the 3w, so this year I'm going to splurge on a high-end rod.
    You might find the Ross Rx 3wt an interesting candidate. Fit, finish, and action smooth as a baby's butt -- at least in the example I have. And not too spendy, either.

I used the Drift on my sage before I upgraded to the Guru. The Drift is a fine real for the price. I found mine to feel very light. It you are using a 3 weight rod, you really aren't going to be catching fish that are big enough to warrant a fancy reel with a good drag system anyway.

Thanks for the feedback! Until now the Finesse from TFO and their Size 0 BVK reel have been my leading condtenders, but saving buxx is saving buxx. Fit and finish on the other BVK reels and rods we own are superb, but I can put up with rougher from Redington if performance is up to snuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast