Thread: Bears in Hatcher Pass

Default Bears in Hatcher Pass

I have been reading up on Black Bears and thought Hatcher Pass seems like a good place for them to feed with all the berries. Has any one seen or hunted Black Bears there, or any other species?

I've hunted Hatchers quite a bit and have seen a few black bears but I've seen more brown bears than blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I've hunted Hatchers quite a bit and have seen a few black bears but I've seen more brown bears than blacks.
    . I've had the same experiences. There used to be a lot more blacks than browns, but lately I would say the browns outnumber the blacks 5 to 1. In fact, you will be hard pressed to get a black on your bait because the browns will take it over.

Good to know. I might give it a try just to see how it goes.

Does any one know wherer I can find weather reports and total snow fall for Hatcher pass?

Feel free to send me a pm if you are curious. I can see Hatcher's Pass from my back porch. In fact, sometimes in the spring I can see bears coming out of their dens with my spotting scope. Mostly browns, not blacks. And usually sows and cubs at that. But they are fun to watch anyhow. Usually the browns start coming out of their dens around the 15th of April.

There are bears but the hunting pressure is extreme. You need to get way off the beaten path.

In my experiance I have found the browns stay up high and the blacks stay low. Good amount of bears with a huge amount of hunters.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Default need clarification

ARE there decent amount of bears in Hatchers pass cuz from what ive been reading like in 09 and such everyone was saying it was hunted out but you say you see bears all the time planning on hunting it this weekend info would help please !

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Feel free to send me a pm if you are curious. I can see Hatcher's Pass from my back porch. In fact, sometimes in the spring I can see bears coming out of their dens with my spotting scope. Mostly browns, not blacks. And usually sows and cubs at that. But they are fun to watch anyhow. Usually the browns start coming out of their dens around the 15th of April.

Quote Originally Posted by wmski View Post
    ARE there decent amount of bears in Hatchers pass cuz from what ive been reading like in 09 and such everyone was saying it was hunted out but you say you see bears all the time planning on hunting it this weekend info would help please !
    Well it depends on what you are referring to when you are saying Hatcher's Pass. Yes, I would say there is a fairly large population of brown bears in the Hatcher's Pass area in general. Some places more than others. If you are hunting right along the fishhook road up to Archangel trail and the Goldmint trail, you probably aren't going to see very many at all. Although there are some up there as well, but they are mostly nocturnal and secretive. But if you get off the beaten path and explore some of the less travelled areas of Hatcher's Pass, you can find lots of bears in some places, in particular brown bears. The blacks are not as common anymore in my opinion. There used to be a lot more of them about ten years ago, but I think the browns definitely outnumber the blacks now. If you want more info send a pm.