Thread: Quadcatt

Default Quadcatt

I am doing research for a new float hunting boat for moose and elk in northern BC. I want to bring my two sons, need to handle mostly class 1/2, fly in on occasion, and need to be able to motor out across long lakes at the end of a couple hunts. I am still looking into round boats (Sotar moose raft or similar) but think the long lakes favour a large cat with 12 or 15 hp outboard.

Does anyone have any experience with the Quadcatt for such a situation? it looks very similar to the cougar, but lighter. They advertise the tubes at 88 pounds and the frame at 72 pounds. This makes the quadcatt very competitive to a round boat with frame for weight. It also looks to have all the capacity I would need.

http://www.quadcatt.com/index.html

Thanks for any ideas.

Very interesting! I have an older Cougar that is at least 15 years old (can't remember when I bought it new) and it's been a good boat all these years. The Quadcatt is very similar although the tips don't come together like the Cougar and it's 6 inches longer. I doubt that makes much difference.

The weight difference of the tubes is pretty minimal... unless you're packing them a 1/2 mile to the river bank. The combination PU/PVC over PE fabric sounds like it might be an improvement over Aire's PVC over PE fabric but I really don't know. I didn't see anything about zippers & bladders, so I assume it is a conventional single wall construction. That's likely where the weigh is saved. The frame weight is saved mostly by using a flat design. That works well enough on a quad tubed cats but not so much on single tube designs where the tubes are taller and the space between them is wider. These frame designs are also easier to assemble on the riverbank compared to most cat frames. Still round boat frames are even easier.

The low profile, 18" tube diameter makes these boats a little more stable but also wetter. You're all sitting closer to the water and taking every wave in the face. It's a lot of fun in white water when wearing drysuits, but less so while packing a load in moderate action. You can adjust load to mitigate that somewhat though. You notice the pictures mostly show the driver with a front row seat. A drier ride would be sitting farther back with a load of gear up front.

Quad tube rafts in general run in less water depth and may pack greater loads than similar single tubes, but not always and the difference doesn't usually matter a lot. Same can be said about round boats though.

Cats of all types are usually easier to move with an outboard, will tolerate larger motors and are easier to rig a mount than with round boats. So if that is important to you, get one. Kris Walker has been designing quad tube cats for a long time and pretty much has this design dialed in. The Quadcatt sounds like a good boat.

Hello cordillera. My 18' Aire Leopard is currently up for sale with an 8hp Honda long shaft.
    PM me @ wfedorch@telusplanet.net

Default Quadcatt with moose

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Here is how my quadcatt turned out: I put a 15 hp 2 stroke on it, along with drop rails and a wooden floor. I put a low pitch propellor on (5.5 inch) for moving a load slowly. The transom was custom made aluminum at the local machine shop. Empty on flat water I can get the raft up to 20 km/hour; yes lots of water around the motor but otherwise a fun ride.

The second photo is headed downriver with gear. The first photo is with the raft loaded with three guys, camping gear, and two meat bulls headed upriver at the end of our trip. The river was very slow (max 4 km/hour) so the motor had no problem pushing the load. Headed upriver loaded we could make about 7 km/hour. The motor was more powerful than needed in this situation; if we hit its maximum power we would push too much water at the front so we were limited in speed by water pushing at the front, not by power. I believe the theoretical hull speed of this boat is about 9 km/hour, so I think when it is loaded we were going as fast as possible. A 9.9 hp motor would have probably have accomplished the same upriver speed as the 15 hp.

A fast current or shallow river would have made our lives complicated when fully loaded. My goal is to use this only on some lakes or slow deep rivers. With the motor I can set up a base camp and shuttle up or downriver to good hunting areas. To motor downstream on long trips, where I want to exit faster, I will be looking for a 4hp that I think would push the boat as fast as needed going downstream with a load.

Overall I am really happy with this boat. It is plenty big; on a downriver float it can easily handle three guys, gear and two moose. On flat water or up a slow river, it can handle a big load but goes slow. It also breaks down really nicely; each pontoon weighs under 40 pounds, so it will fly in well for future hunts. I did a few local easy rivers this summer and it handled pretty nicely in whitewater and is quick when empty. I still want to muck around with the floor next year to put in a mesh floor from stitches 'n stuff, to loose a few pounds.

I got a lot of ideas from people on this forum that helped me choose this configuration. Thanks to everyone who has pioneered the motorized cataraft. The people at Quadcatt were excellent to deal with and the construction of the boat and frame are excellent.

I am looking forward to a lot of different adventures with this boat.

Congratulations on a successful hunt! I bought a Cougar this year for the same purpose but did not take it out for the hunt due to very low water on my destination river. The motor has been an afterthought, and I managed to acquire a 4 hp and mount at a great deal. I appreciate your info regarding the top practical speed of the cat, it's helpful to figure out what is a big enough motor.

If you have the photos, could you post some views of your frame?

Earle