Thread: SuperCHRONO accoustic chronograph

"You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Looks interesting. I wonder if you were at a public range if you would pick up reading from shooters around you. The cone looks to be fairly wide. Cool though.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Good question. The benches at the range I use are probably spaced about 8' c-c. I would think there would room enough but the one tester said they were getting readings several ft either side. I'll still be getting one. Usually not that crowded where I go unless it's a weekend and good weather, plus I shoot elsewhere.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Looks nice, anyone notice if it gives ES/SD information? I didn't see any mention of it. Wondering how many shots in a string and how many strings it stores. It would also be nice if it had a remote screen so you could see readings without needing to wait for a cease fire to step out and look at the numbers. I imagine other companies will follow up with this technology and we will have several new chronographs coming out in short order.

More good question Marshall. It doesn't appear to give ES, SD or store strings I'm guessing version II will when ever it comes out. No doubt others will be following suit. However, I don't use SD and ES is easy enough to figure. But it sure would be nice to have a remote screen. And IMO, this is better than the opotical chrony's.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

And Marshall, 2 of these would be sweet for determining accurate bullet BC's for LR shooting.

One thing that looks a little iffy from the reference sheet is...

How critical is aiming error?
    - The key factors are distance from the chronograph to the
    target and bullet speed. A load with a true velocity of 1250
    ft/s over the sensors, and with the chronograph aimed one
    yard too high at 100 yards, will give a reading of 1257 ft/s.
    This deviation increases with bullet speed. A bullet
    travelling at 3350 ft/t with the same aiming error will result
    in a reading of 3451 ft/s. The deviation is 101 ft/s and
    accuracy is 97%. Reduce aiming error to one foot, and
    deviation is reduced to 33 ft/s and precision increased to
    99%. The sights on the SuperChrono are designed to be
    precise. With a little practice, you will soon be able to aim it
    to achieve close to the system accuracy of 99.5%.
    .5% possibility of error is rather large.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

The aiming error is simple to solve. It's really just talking about keeping the devise straight in line between the rifle and the target to maintain the distance between sensors on the device. It also needs to be level to prevent the same issue.

If the chrono is tilted up or down or angled off line the distance between the sensors will be shorter when the bullet travels over the sensors on it's way to the target. This would give a false faster than normal reading. The devise has a level built in to aid in set up.

The idea of having two would be a really cool way to gather velocities for very accurate long range drop chart predictions and very easy to set up for testing. If you have a load/rifle/shooter setup that can hit bulls at 300 yards you could put one in front of the shooter and one in front of the 300 yard target without worrying about damage. These velocities would be entered into software and work magically toward eliminating long range errors. If only I had more money or a shooting buddy that would go in on the other unit...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    The aiming error is simple to solve. It's really just talking about keeping the devise straight in line between the rifle and the target to maintain the distance between sensors on the device. It also needs to be level to prevent the same issue.

If the chrono is tilted up or down or angled off line the distance between the sensors will be shorter when the bullet travels over the sensors on it's way to the target. This would give a false faster than normal reading. The devise has a level built in to aid in set up.

The idea of having two would be a really cool way to gather velocities for very accurate long range drop chart predictions and very easy to set up for testing. If you have a load/rifle/shooter setup that can hit bulls at 300 yards you could put one in front of the shooter and one in front of the 300 yard target without worrying about damage. These velocities would be entered into software and work magically toward eliminating long range errors. If only I had more money or a shooting buddy that would go in on the other unit...
    Yup, I was thinking of setting up a second one @ 1K. Could really fine tune the G7 BC that way.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Yup, I was thinking of setting up a second one @ 1K. Could really fine tune the G7 BC that way.
    Placing a $400 instrument 1000 yards down range is a little aggressive in my world. I would feel confortable shooting over it at 750 for a down range reading with the 338LM. Longer shots are taken frequently but not over expensive tools.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Placing a $400 instrument 1000 yards down range is a little aggressive in my world. I would feel confortable shooting over it at 750 for a down range reading with the 338LM. Longer shots are taken frequently but not over expensive tools.
    It has a 51" high sensing window, shouldn't be a problem. Also, I would probably put a steel plate in front of it to make sure my dope was good, and a target just above and behind it.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    It has a 51" high sensing window, shouldn't be a problem. Also, I would probably put a steel plate in front of it to make sure my dope was good, and a target just above and behind it.
    That sound good. I would send a couple down range first. Old dope is bad dope. Any wind and you could be out of the width range in a hurry.

It looks like the unit does store strings.
    ~ John Quincy Adams