Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish cleaning/bait station ideas

Default Fish cleaning/bait station ideas

Okay its the middle of the winter and my boat is in storage so I might as well think about things I can do it.. Lets see some photos of your fish cleaning - bait station tables on your boats. I have a Kingfisher and the built in one is too low for my 6'3" body, I find it easiest to clean fish on my knees. So I am trying to figure out what do it. I have been looking at the Miller Marine stuff and thinking I could get a custom made one for the back of my boat but I want to look at all the options first. In my head I see a nice cleaning table with one big drawer under it to hold the tackle I need for the day, it would still allow me to open the small fish box under it and would be removable so it would not be in the way working over the shrimp pots.

Lets see what you have.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Here's ours on our GC:

I feel your pain! I am 6'6" and love having our tall cleaning station. Here are a few pics:

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Show Offs!!! Seriously, I'm glad this post came up. I'm thinking about doing something like this too. Keep'em coming.

Love the deer shot......
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Can't keep up with spoiled one, but did add a taller cutting table last March. It hinges up for access to the fish locker and has a plastic cutting board that is food grade plastic not uhmw as well as drains to the rear onto the swim step. Great to have a taller table 48' wide. I was so busy fishing last summer I didn't take any pictures of it finished. The table gets used for everything and my back doesn't hurt.

cutting table 1.jpgcutting table2.jpg

I have the same one spoiled one posted. It is awesome! I didn't have a clue how much I would like it. Wouldn't go without it now.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Here is a picture of mine.

It just slides out, so you can use the opening in the rails to board the dingy via the swimstep as well.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

They also function nicely as a table while at anchor as Spoiled One has so nicely demonstrated. I would keep that in mind when figuring out your design. It is nice if it is very sturdy.Mine is huge, but it gets put to use all of the time. I often let someone else drive back in and filet the fish, so we never return to the harbor with fish to clean. My other trick is to start filleting while we are still fishing, and tell others that when I catch up with them we are done. It can be a fun game, and sometimes I have to say 'uncle' when silver fishing is hot, since I can never catch up.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Nice cleaning tables posted so far. Sorry, no pics and mine isn't raised but I built it out of white HPDE. You can get various thicknessed at Alaska Rubber to finish off an aluminum raised station if you have one fabricated for you.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Mine is exactly like yours, well minus the deer. I am thinking something like this one mounted so I can remove it and drop in in a fish hold. I want it to be tall enough that i can still open the stock kingfisher box as well.

I also want a drawer under it that I could put misc stuff in like bait and extra gear. This one if from Miller Marine and the website says he will do custom work.. they are not cheap but look to be good quality and probably the same price as having an aluminum one made.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

found a picture of the table after welding and height adjustment. I fabricated the parts in a couple hours one Sat. afternoon with no real plan when I started.

cutting table 4.jpg

Put some thought as to where the waste goes. You don't want this just rolling down your transom and onto the swim step. After a hot day it will be impossible to get the scales and goo off your boat if they don't get channeled away from it from the start.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Put some thought as to where the waste goes. You don't want this just rolling down your transom and onto the swim step. After a hot day it will be impossible to get the scales and goo off your boat if they don't get channeled away from it from the start.
    I was thinking about that, my current situation is bad enough. Maybe I ought to consider a table like on the Glacier Crafts and then I could run a hose off the drain down to the water or into my scupper at least.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I was thinking about that, my current situation is bad enough. Maybe I ought to consider a table like on the Glacier Crafts and then I could run a hose off the drain down to the water or into my scupper at least.
    Mine drains out a a pipe in the bottom and is piped out the starboard side. It keeps the the transom clear of slime and scales like jrogers brought up. You are welcome to come over and check it out if you would like.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Great ideas. I had picked up a sheet of UMHW from a local gravel operation. Wanting to design a simple table that drops into the rod holders on one side, gimbal mount style. Maybe the sides doweled to drop in on 3 sides for set up and take down. Should lay flat in the fish hold when stowed.
    Gives me something to look at. Hadn't thought about the slime yet. Thanks for that. Maybe router in some blood channels and slip a pipe in to overhang the gunnel.

Gonna need more material if we are going deer hunting though.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I completely agree with jrogers, jr2 and spoiled one. Having the slime drain on to the swim step is not the best, I take great care to wash off the swim step each time I clean fish and wash down the table. I've been thinking about how to have it drain away from the boat. Keep the pictures coming, the GC tables seem really well thought out. I can see a modification is on the way as soon as I figure out what to do. Thanks

I used a piece of UHMW, cut it into a long rectangle, screwed sides onto it and mounted to a Magma Power Grip LeveLock Double Locking Rod Holder (9590415). It inserst into any of my rod holders and you can position it angled over the side of the boat so all slime/grime/guts go into the water. Have small holes cut in bottom corners to allow water/guts to run off and a few slots cut to hold knife and not go overboard when you are handling/washing fillets. Holder folds up easily along back side of board for easy stowage, plus it is not in the way when you are trying to land fish

Love it! I will be building one like it soon - 2'x4' or so, probably using 2" pipe for the legs and make the pipe in the back starboard corner a drain.

Any thoughts on how thick the aluminum should be? I don't want the table to flex, but if I end up bending the sides (vs tacking on angle) I don't want them to be thin enough to cut anyone.

If you wanted to go to the trouble, you could weld a gutter (piece of angle?) on the outside back of your table for a slime drain. Cap the inboard end? Just thinking out loud here...

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default portside table

This table was on the swimstep on the transom, I cut the full transom down to accomodate our trolling motor which rendered the table and parts of the railing yard ornimants. Months later in the spring when I had more ideas and work to be done I had the welder cut the mounts off the transom railing and weld them on the side railings, it works great!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast