Thread: Report on the Kimber Montana 8400 LA

Default Report on the Kimber Montana 8400 LA

Okay after months of waiting she turned up.
    Out of the box this rifle oozed quality,fit finish & the way it shouldered impressed me no doubt.
    Barrel channel gap was perfectly square with the stock,the stock also being very grippy(More so than my old 84M.Stock also darker,which looks better IMO).

Removed the barreled action from the stock as I always give my new rifles a clean & apply Lanolin oil to certain areas(Rust proofing).
    All looked very sweet & like I said earlier quality/fit & finish looked to be first class.

3 position safety is super smooth & worked the way it was intended(No faulty safety here).

Bolt cycled very slick for a rifle just out of the box,so there was no need to work the action.

Mounted Talley's/Vx11 3-9x40,which gelled to my satisfaction.

All in all it LOOKED like everything was working out perfectly???

Now came the time to put this rifle through it's cycling/extracting/feeding/ejecting paces.
    4 down the mag,the 8400 LA mag design worked a-treat in this area.Downwards feed was slick & smooth.
    Cycled first round,rough would describe the way the first round fed.Second round slightly better,third the same as second.As forth.(All rounds had battle scars from the feed rails)
    Okay I thought knew Kimber's have had feed/extraction issues in the past.But I have never heard of any LA that had problems.Well mine did & it had more than just a feeding problem .

Upon checking out the feed rails I noticed they were a might sharp & really needed some attention.Don't get me wrong the quality was there just NOT THE FINAL FINISH/POLISH IT NEEDED.
    Anyway after some very fine wet/dry oil soaked paper,followed by some VERY fine steelwool those 338WM rounds fed sweet-as.That problem solved,which took me all of 1 hour to fix.

The biggest problem of all was this rifle DIDN'T CRF the rounds the way a CRF if meant to work.
    It wasn't picking up & extracting the rounds properly,dropping rounds before they could be ejected.
    I have seen this before in other rifles,the last one my friends New Ruger Mark11 30-06.Allot/most of the times it's the extractor/claw that is the villian here.
    And upon checking this out,it was confirmed.

I noticed the claw area needed to BITE into the face of the bolt more,as it didn't have enough inwards pressure to get a positive firm/CRF on the rounds.Also the other end of the the extractor tail was loose on the bolt where it sits & spins whilst working the action.This being the MAIN villain IMO as if this piece would sit firm & where it was designed to sit it would/does apply inwards pressure/movement to the claw.Which WILL fix the problem.

Removed the extractor & ever so slightly bent the claw inwards,then proceeded to bend in the middle section & next near the end.)5 minute job).

Well I can tell you the end result is one of the best feeding CRF rifles I have used.
    The bolt/claw now guides those rounds in/out like a champion.Even when cycling slow then trying to shake these rounds loose.NO WAY this unit is now very solid indeed.(Fast cycling also perfect).

The reason I wanted to document this is that it really is a very simple fix,& one that is sometimes needed on certain rifles.
    Kimbers are a quality unit IMHO,but they really need to get the finer side of Q/C sorted as not everyone will tinker like me.
    When you are forking out you hard earned $$$$$ on a pricey rifle like a Kimber you expect to get a rifle that works flawlessly out of the box.

But saying that I have found feed rails on MANY brands of rifles that need polishing-up.
    Plane & simple if it scratchers your brass the feed rails could do with a polish IMO.And once done the difference is huge.

Like I said the claw extractor issue I have seen before but is no where near as common as the rough feed rails issues.But this is a fairly simple job so don't sweat.

340 .

Good report, and glad all works well. I agree with you that they should work the QC a little harder for the money they cost. I had to polish my feed rails as well with some fine steel wool to get the sharp machining edges off. Let us know how she shoots!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Good report, and glad all works well. I agree with you that they should work the QC a little harder for the money they cost. I had to polish my feed rails as well with some fine steel wool to get the sharp machining edges off. Let us know how she shoots!
    Yea! would really like to know the outcome when you shoot again.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS